The Veganism Thread

Odinson

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought this was quite funny that I get meat adverts while viewing a vegan threat but then I realized that Google is probably analyzing everything I do and knows more about me than my wife, so of course Google knows I am an unrepentant meat eater.

Odinson probably gets Kale and Tofu ads :P

post-1407-0-85067100-1553774810_thumb.jpg

post-1407-0-68086400-1553774835_thumb.jpg

Mostly referring to vegan products. Most retailers are starting to give prime space to vegan products. If its selling, great, but Ive noticed our local Checkers running a weekly 50% off vegan products. Seems like they are still testing the waters, but Im sure its booming in other places.

I think it’s great. If it helps people to make the switch, then why not.

I’m in SA now and I’m actually blown away by the vegan stuff on offer. Dischem, Checkers, PnP have killer vegan foodstuffs.

Already had some very lekker vegan biltong and droëwors. ????????

I thought this was quite funny that I get meat adverts while viewing a vegan threat but then I realized that Google is probably analyzing everything I do and knows more about me than my wife, so of course Google knows I am an unrepentant meat eater.

Odinson probably gets Kale and Tofu ads :P

Adblocker, baby!

Sorry Nick & Co., but the constant barrage of ball gag and strap-on ads just got too much.

Ball gag and strap-ons get thru censorship  but my post gets deleted! Must have left a bad taste in the moderators and Odinson's mouth :P

• 2 weeks later...

Move Over, PETA: Meat Companies Have A New Thorn In Their Sides

there’s a new thorn in the side of factory farms, and it’s coming from the unlikeliest of places; Wall Street

more than 70 percent of meat and livestock index companies do not have targets for reducing GHG emissions.

Piggies may not be the best investment given the multitude of risks surrounding the factor farming industry. (photo credit: Getty) GETTY

Long gone are the days when meat producers worried about animal-welfare groups like PETA. These days, there’s a new thorn in the side of factory farms, and it’s coming from the unlikeliest of places; Wall Street . Today’s nemesis isn’t throwing blood at consumers or dressing up as dead animals in grocery aisles. Instead, they’re dressed in Armani suits and taking aim at the one place companies really care about. Their wallets.

Investors have always been the driver of corporate behavior, as the c-suite has a legal obligation to maximize their returns. Climate change, don’t worry about that. Clean waterways, put those to the side. Now tell me, how much earnings per share have you generated in the last quarter? It’s no wonder our planet is limping along like a junkie after one too many hard nights.

Thankfully, there is a growing cadre of investors that care very much about the bottom line and see factory farms becoming increasingly vulnerable to the declining health of our planet and its inhabitants, humans included.

FAIRR, a consortium of over 80 investors representing over $12 Trillion in assets (yes, you read that right), has begun calling out the largest agricultural food companies to collectively get their “manure” together, and start planning for a world where meat and dairy are no longer the darlings of the food world.

Jeremy Coller, co-founder and chief investment officer of Coller Capital and founder of FAIRR. Photographer: Vivek Prakash/Bloomberg © 2017 BLOOMBERG FINANCE LP

FAIRR was launched back in 2015 by Jeremy Coller, one of the most influential private equity managers around the globe. For Coller, the data was too hard to ignore.

“Every day around 84 million adults consume fast food in the US alone, but the inconvenient truth of convenience food is that the environmental impacts of the sector’s meat and dairy products have hit unsustainable levels. To put this in perspective, if cows were a country, it would be the world’s third largest emitter of greenhouse gases.”

Fast forward to today, Coller has built FAIRR into one of the largest investor groups in the world, taking dead aim at the factory farming industry. Recently, FAIRR sent letters to six of the largest fast-food chains which manage over 120,000 restaurants worldwide and include McDonald’s, Domino’s, and the owners of Burger King and KFC. The goal is to encourage these companies to set targets for cutting greenhouse gas emissions from their meat and dairy supply chains.

FAIRR’s consortium of investors have immense sway. If they determine they don’t like the way these companies are managing their risks, they can decide to trim or reduce their positions in these companies entirely. That’s the kind of thing that gets a CEO’s attention.

The letters call on the fast food companies to do the following:

Adopt a supplier policy with clear requirements for suppliers of animal protein products to report and reduce greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions and freshwater impacts.

Publish quantitative, time-bound targets to reduce the GHG emissions and freshwater impacts of their own meat and dairy supply chains.

Commit to publicly disclose progress on these targets annually.

Undertake a climate scenario analysis in line with the recommendations of the Task Force on Climate-related Financial Disclosures (TCFD).

The investor letters highlight that the meat and dairy industry currently has limited water and climate policies, nor goals in place. Analysis by the Coller FAIRR Index found that more than 70 percent of meat and livestock index companies do not have targets for reducing GHG emissions.

Given the lack of sustainability planning by most factory farming companies, investors are starting to feel like they’re flying blind. GETTY

“This is the largest-emitting sector that doesn’t have a low-carbon plan,” said Brooke Barton, a senior director with Ceres, the sustainability group that co-organized the investor campaign. “While some companies in some high-emitting industries, like the electric power industry, are starting to set goals and transform their business models in line with the Paris climate agreement, the meat and dairy industry is digging in its hooves.”

One of the least discussed yet most consequential aspect of FAIRR’s work is centered around antibiotic use in industrial agriculture. Antibiotic use in livestock is a leading cause of rising antimicrobial resistance (AMR) in humans. Unbeknownst to many, the food industry is the largest consumer of antibiotics globally, and uses antibiotic drugs to prevent disease or promote growth in healthy farm animals rather than treat clinically ill animals. A full 80% of all antibiotics in the USA are used on farm animals. That’s just scary.

Why you ask? Well, when we humans eat those animals, we consume the antibiotics as well. Thus making us more and more immune to them, while at the same time manifesting the creation of superior bacteria our drugs can’t defeat. These un-killable bacteria are referred to as “super bugs.”

In FAIRR’s eyes, AMR and antibiotics misuse presents a systemic risk to investor portfolios, including within the food, pharmaceutical, healthcare and insurance industries. 77% of companies in FAIRR’s Protein Producer Index (worth $240 billion) are classified as ‘high risk’ on management of antibiotics.

The UK government described the over-use of antibiotics as “excessive and inappropriate” in a report which found that drug-resistant infections could cost the world around $100 trillion in lost output by 2050 – a cost that will come home to roost in a widely diversified portfolio. To put that in perspective, that means more people will die from bacteria our drugs can’t defeat than from all cancers combined.

The calls for change in food and nutrition gained even more momentum recently, with the release of a blueprint by an international commission organized by the prestigious medical journal The Lancet. The guidelines call for a significant overhaul in food production and eating habits, or what one of the report’s authors called “nothing less than a new global agricultural revolution.” The EAT-Lancet Commission called for a “comprehensive shift” in global diets, including cutting meat consumption roughly in half, and for governments to factor sustainability into their dietary guidance.

Climate change is getting worse due to industries like factory farming, increase the risks to food production globally GETTY

Another recent study also shows how “food production shocks” linked to climate change have been rising globally, putting food security at risk. The researchers identified nearly 230 food production shocks, in 134 countries, from 1961 to 2013, and said the frequency of crop production shocks driven by extreme weather had been increasing steadily. Food shocks threaten to destabilize the global food supply and drive up global hunger rates, which have started to tick up in recent years.

On a positive note, there are signs that pressure from the academic and investor community is beginning to change corporate behavior. Burger King announced plans this past week to roll out the Impossible Burger in select areas, with plans to go nationwide. White Castle did the same earlier this year. It almost seems that a week doesn’t go by without another large food player shifting their menus/production to include more plant-based options.

And they’d better. Otherwise investors will starting shifting their capital elsewhere (the divestment movement from oil/gas is a good example). The Beyond Meat IPO is likely the first in what will be a new cohort of publicly-traded food companies leading us into a greener, healthier future.

The US plant-based meat market size is expected to reach values of around $3 billion by 2024, growing at an impressive CAGR of over 24% during 2018–2024.

The exponential growth of food trucks, delivery, and takeaway and the increasing number of consumers experimenting with new kinds of foods is driving the growth of the US market. Educational institutes have a lot of potentials as parents increasingly go vegetarian or vegan and so do their kids, thereby creating a demand in the market. The US plant-based meat market is driven by plant-based food manufacturers creating foods with profiles that match consumer context of a specific dish to facilitate trial. The introduction of products that are built similar to meat via price and the possibilities of offering a bigger repertoire of flavor profiles will help vendors attract a broader audience in the US market. The market research report provides in-depth market analysis and segmental analysis of the US plant-based meat market by products, storage, and channel.

The report considers the present scenario of the US plant-based meat market and its market dynamics for the period 2019−2024. It covers a detailed overview of several market growth enablers, restraints, and trends. The study includes both the demand and supply side of the market. It also profiles and analyzes leading companies and several other prominent companies operating in the market.

US Plant-based Meat Market – Dynamics

The growing traction towards the wellness trend is fueling the demand for all things plant, thereby creating lucrative investment opportunities in the US plant-based meat market. Green beauty is going from a niche to a majority; brands are becoming more health-focused, consumers are developing a likeness for intermittent fasting, they are taking more time out to meditate, get some sun, and focus on happiness in the US market. The consumers are beginning to realize that they have to start with their plate to make a long-term change and live a fuller, healthy life from both a physical and a mental perspective. The increasing focus in health and wellness will boost the demand for vegetarian meat and vegan meat in the US market. The holistic approach to food and widespread education about nutrient quality and dejunking will positively impact the growth of the market over the next few years. The rise in allergies and food intolerances is leading to an inherent belief that eliminating toxins that come in the form of chemicals from meat processes such as chlorine baths and consuming natural foods such as whole grains in the market. Various organizations that are working towards building healthier, stronger and more sustainable communities will fuel the growth of the US plant-based meat market.

US Plant-based Meat Market – Segmentation

This market research report includes a detailed segmentation of the market by products, storage, and channel. The US plant-based meat market by product is classified into beef, chicken, pork, seafood, and others. The beef segment dominated approximately half of the total market share in 2018, growing at a CAGR of around 25% during the forecast period. The growing use of vegan meatballs in sauces served as a snack on a toothpick, or is being sliced to sandwich in between bread to bring a variety of option for the non-meat-eating population is fueling the growth of this segment in the US market. The growing demand for all-natural, organic, and vegetarian meats is fueling the growth of the US plant-based meat market.

The storage segment in the US plant-based meat market is divided into frozen, refrigerated, and shelf-stable. Refrigerated storage is the fastest growing segment in the US market, at a CAGR of over 39% during the forecast period. The changing perception of younger consumers that chilled foods are more premium and fresher than frozen food is fueling the growth of this segment in the global market. The growing demand for flavorsome heat-and-eat products is encouraging the vendors to launch refrigerated meat substitutes in the US market. Companies such as Beyond Meat have witnessed massive success in staging their products in the refrigerated meat department or next to conventional meat.

The US plant-based meat market by the channel is segmented into conventional, natural, and specialty gourmet. Conventional channel occupied the majority of the market share in 2018, growing at a CAGR of more than 22% during the forecast period. The increasing number of convenience stores selling new organic or natural products that are plant-based is gaining immense popularity and boosting sales in this segment in the US market. The rapidly escalating demand for better-for-you products is encouraging retailers to stock these products in the US plant-based meat market. Food, drug and mass merchandisers, including Walmart, are the largest distributors in the US plant-based meat market.

Market Segmentation by Product

Beef

Chicken

Pork

Seafood

Other

Market Segmentation by Storage

Frozen

Refrigerated

Shelf-stable

Market Segmentation by Channel

Conventional

Natural

Specialty Gourmet

US Plant-Based Meat Market Vendor Analysis

In the US plant-based meat market, leading vendors are drawing the attention of consumers and creating appeal for plant-based meats. Many players are leveraging various possibilities and definitions of meat substitutes and are expected to gravitate towards creating a pull in the US market. The top manufacturers are trying to layer flavor over flavor, color over color, texture over texture to attract the maximum number of consumers in the US market. Strategic partnerships are vital for expansions in the US plant-based meat market.

The major vendors in the US plant-based meat market are:

Beyond Meat

Impossible Foods

Greenleaf Foods

Hungry Planet

Next Level

Other prominent vendors in the US plant-based meat market include Abbots Butcher, Atlantic Natural Foods, Don Lee Farms, Dr. Praeger’s, Gardein, Good Catch Fish, Kraft Heinz Foodservice, Monks Meats, MorningStar Farms, No Evil Foods, Ocean Hugger Foods, Quorn Foods, Sophie’s Kitchen, Sweet Earth, Tofurky, VBites, and Yves Veggie Cuisine.

Key market insights include

1. The analysis of US plant-based meat market provides market size and growth rate for the forecast period 2019-2024.

2. It offers comprehensive insights on current industry trends, trend forecast, and growth drivers about theUS plant-based meat market.

3. The report provides the latest analysis of market share, growth drivers, challenges, and investment opportunities.

4. It offers a complete overview of market segments and the regional outlook of US plant-based meat market.

5. The report offers a detailed overview of the vendor landscape, competitive analysis, and key market strategies to gain competitive advantage.