The Veganism Thread

Odinson

My 6 year old daughter has told us she doesn't want to eat animals.

She goes to a school which probably has a high proportion of vegan/veggie parents, so I assume more veggie kids. She assures me that it is her own decision.

I don't eat nearly as much meat as I used to, and respect the choices vegetarians have made.

I'll be doing a bit of research on the tradeoffs between on healthy nutrition for a growing kid, not creating a fussy eater and blowing the family budget.

Any advice or pointers from those who've been on a similar journey welcome.

I definitely haven't followed a similar journey, but I'd be getting regular blood work done on my kids if they followed an exclusionary diet. With their rapidly growing brains and bodies, B12, calcium and zinc deficiencies will be devastating to their health. 

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I definitely haven't followed a similar journey, but I'd be getting regular blood work done on my kids if they followed an exclusionary diet. With their rapidly growing brains and bodies, B12, calcium and zinc deficiencies will be devastating to their health.

This

I agree with you here. 

Perhaps even do some bloodwork before starting, to know where all the levels are at the moment. 

B12 is a must (although it can circulate for years in the body, it's always good to start). Zinc and calcium can be obtained relatively easily through diet, but an easy way is through fortified plant milks. 

Definitely not triggered. I have yet to see you concede on something that doesn't put veganism in the best of light... so there is some merit in my response.

Will I concede on the ethics/morality of the needless exploitation of animals. No, so don't hold your breath on that one. 

In re the health and environmental aspects, I'm happy to enter into discussions and base myself on available research. 

I think a lot of people should be doing blood tests. Regardless of diet direction - if any.

Not to derail your thoughts but the fresh fruit and veg exclusionary diet is very real too. As a society I'm sure most of us would agree we're really doing ourselves disservice here.

I think a lot of people should be doing blood tests. Regardless of diet direction - if any.

Not to derail your thoughts but the fresh fruit and veg exclusionary diet is very real too. As a society I'm sure most of us would agree we're really doing ourselves disservice here.

Why?

What do you want to test for?

Why?

What do you want to test for?

What do you mean why? Why should a lot of people? I think a lot of peoples diets are way too high in bad fats, processed foods and extreme sugar intake. So I think they could benefit a health check. You disagree?

I've never done blood tests personally but the thought of it has always interested me, I enjoy that kind of granular detail.

Inflammation for one has been on my radar for a long time.

Hormone levels, isn't this in direct correlation with excessive processed foods intake?

The most basic vitamin and mineral counts, is this included in blood tests? Antioxidents, phytoestogens, test levels.

Cholesterol, lipids we all know about.

Insulin

Edit: I'm sure there are more options available, these are just a few that came to mind...

Edited by CBlake

If you eat a well balanced diet, your BMI is below 25, no family history of disease (like breast Ca, colon ca, heart attacks) going for regular blood test serves little purpose. Do a spot check on your bloodsugar from time to time, check your urine dipstix.

See your GP.

Cholesterol when you are in your thirties. If it is elevated, follow it up. If not, check it again in 5 or so years.

Over 50: Colonoscopy. Gastroscopy. Prostate. Eyes. Urine dipstix. And cholesterol, PSA.

Testing for stuff like anti oxidants and hormones? In men? Naaa

Insulin. If you are fat.

Phyto oestrogens test? 

I am sure someone can google a million tests to do. Watch this space...

Question is: Is it worth it?

If you eat a well balanced diet, your BMI is below 25, no family history of disease (like breast Ca, colon ca, heart attacks) going for regular blood test serves little purpose. Do a spot check on your bloodsugar from time to time, check your urine dipstix.

See your GP.

Cholesterol when you are in your thirties. If it is elevated, follow it up. If not, check it again in 5 or so years.

Over 50: Colonoscopy. Gastroscopy. Prostate. Eyes. Urine dipstix. And cholesterol, PSA.

Testing for stuff like anti oxidants and hormones? In men? Naaa

Insulin. If you are fat.

Phyto oestrogens test? 

I am sure someone can google a million tests to do. Watch this space...

Question is: Is it worth it?

I agree with you in principle - there's little point in being a borderline hypochondriac and testing for every possible thing. However, do certain tests based on certain risk factors. 

Will I concede on the ethics/morality of the needless exploitation of animals. No, so don't hold your breath on that one. 

In re the health and environmental aspects, I'm happy to enter into discussions and base myself on available research. 

Take a crayon, Odie...

aPYm54B_460s.jpg

I agree with you here. 

Perhaps even do some bloodwork before starting, to know where all the levels are at the moment. 

B12 is a must (although it can circulate for years in the body, it's always good to start). Zinc and calcium can be obtained relatively easily through diet, but an easy way is through fortified plant milks. 

Odi, generally most of your posts make sense.

But here something sits wrong. Change your diet for environmental reasons, but drink milk plants that have had stuff added to them. Stuff that must be processed and come from somewhere. Stuff that also changes the environment. So the more I look at this, the more I am not sure the environmental reasons dont all balance.

My research can be found here:

Slowbee, 2019, Journal of Hubland Vegan Thread, pgs 79. Gut Feel of Stuff and the Environment

Why on earth would you do this to yourself?

He seems to have gone off the deep end. He’s even a flat earther now. ????????‍♂️

He’s a perfect example of the dangers of fad diets.

Nevertheless, he’s done a lot for the vegan movement and I respect that.