The Veganism Thread

Odinson

Thanks for the reply .

It's unfortunately not very practical when you sleep in a tent for a couple of days at a stage race to go the pre-prep smoothie route ?

Hence my comment regarding having a glass of milk . There will almost always be milk readily available at stage races.

Its as difficult as you want it to be.

I've always taken a small tupperware or ready mixed (powder) in shakers with me to any and all events. But this is something important to me so I'll make a plan. 

Just a glass of normal milk will be lacking though, the chocolate milk wins because of all the sugar in it, which you need after activity, the added protein is the bonus you're talking about over any other readily available drinks. If you can't get to whole food reasonably quickly, or don't want to make a shake or equivalent, I say knock yourself out, 

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Regarding the your claims as to 'scientifc studies', I'm just going to apply Hitchens' Razor and leave it at that. 

Even pre-vegan, I never considered dairy milk as a recovery drink. That's just me. Even now, I don't chug a glass of soy milk after a long run or ride. If the question is recovery food, then I see your cup of cow's milk and raise you a can of kidney beans. 

attachicon.gifTittyJuice.PNG

attachicon.gifCapture.PNG

Yes, beans aren't a drink, but if your goal is recovery, then there are better foods than cow's milk.

I also don't buy any 'recovery' specific drinks. I'll use vegan protein powder after big efforts, but that's really it. A few years ago I was on the whole 'sports nutrition' bandwagon and was pounding away at pre-workouts, carbohydrate drinks, protein this, BCAA that, etc.  Now, the focus is just on whole foods. 

Edit: an important element of recovery after big efforts is to also eat antioxidant rich foods to lessen free radical activity. Plant foods are the best source in this regard. 

Odie, normally your comparisons here are pretty good, but this one falls short - you're showing 2% low fat milk at a calorie content of less than half that of the kidney beans, whereas we're talking about full fat milk. The numbers there would be more representative of what Milkman is saying / asking, and would present a more "honest" comparison of the 2. Also - I don't know of anyone who would willingly chug a tin of kidney beans after a race / ride. Milk is just super thirst quenching as well. The beans.... not so much

Odie, normally your comparisons here are pretty good, but this one falls short - you're showing 2% low fat milk at a calorie content of less than half that of the kidney beans, whereas we're talking about full fat milk. The numbers there would be more representative of what Milkman is saying / asking, and would present a more "honest" comparison of the 2. Also - I don't know of anyone who would willingly chug a tin of kidney beans after a race / ride. Milk is just super thirst quenching as well. The beans.... not so much

It wasn't meant to be a 'hard' comparison. All I was putting across is that there are cheap and easily accessible foods that can be consumed post-race, which isn't milk. 

It wasn't meant to be a 'hard' comparison. All I was putting across is that there are cheap and easily accessible foods that can be consumed post-race, which isn't milk. 

Then use more solid comparisons next time :P

And yes, maybe. But maybe not as palatable / thirst quenching / readily available, depending on what they are. Powders will always be more accessible than milk by virtue of the fact that all they need is water, and you can carry them with you. 

Having said that, we can debate nutritional content all day long, and come up with alternatives that "beat" the other's postulation. Fact is that milk / super M IS cheap, readily available, thirst-quenching and hassle-free. As a recovery drink goes, it's not bad at all. 

I urge everyone who frequents this thread and who's even in the slightest plant-curious, to watch this:

I like the curiosity stance. I think thats whats got me headed in most directions I take today.

Then use more solid comparisons next time :P

And yes, maybe. But maybe not as palatable / thirst quenching / readily available, depending on what they are. Powders will always be more accessible than milk by virtue of the fact that all they need is water, and you can carry them with you. 

Having said that, we can debate nutritional content all day long, and come up with alternatives that "beat" the other's postulation. Fact is that milk / super M IS cheap, readily available, thirst-quenching and hassle-free. As a recovery drink goes, it's not bad at all. 

My 2c. 

Given the current scenario, if you want to sort yourself for a stage race, bring some protein powder and a shaker and you're golden. 

Drink water, coke, beer if you're thirsty and have the shake for recovery. 

You don't have to drink it just because it's there.  :thumbup: It's like the okes gorging on potatoes, jelly babies, etc. at the first water table in a 70km MTB race. You'd swear the okes haven't seen food in weeks. 

So then why not rather argue the animal cruelty positoon if that’s what’s driving you?

It's not just that. Milkman asked a question. I answered according to my perspective. 

It was just fortuitous that the linked footage and his question appeared on the same day, so I thought I'd share. 

'...vegetarians who ate fish...'

When did this become a thing? Surprisingly often when we say we're vegetarian the first thing people ask is if we eat fish? Why is this? 

IMO because it's not "an animal" , even though it is. It's an aquatic creature. Pescatarians find it easier to say they're veggie, but eat fish. If they said they're pescatarian the majority of ppl would say huh wot?! And then cook them some lamb. 

Edited by Captain Fatbastard Mayhem

The new trendy # on my Instagram feed is "Reducetarian" and "Flexitarians" I don't get it. So you still eat meat, just less. Or you only include meat when you feel like it. So do you only feel half the guilt then?

For some it isn't about the guilt, but rather the carbon impacts.

Edited by Patchelicious