The Veganism Thread

Odinson

Vegan Parents of Hospitalized Child Lose Custody for Refusing to Change Diet

This case was the fourth incidence of a vegan child being hospitalized due to malnutrition and dietary problems in the last 18 months.

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/ypeqz7/vegan-parents-of-hospitalized-child-lose-custody-for-refusing-to-change-diet

Thats the 4th in Italy - they reckon they have 1.7m vegans in total, so this is perhaps 1 in every 30,000-50,000 vegan infants

Edited by 100Tours

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not to derail this thread , but being able to read , having electricity and technology to debate on the interwebs AND the free time to do so , and riding bicycles for fun - yes I think we are pretty privileged . And that was not said as a defence - I was pointing out that you are contradicting yourself .

Being able to drop a log in a flushing toilet is a comparative privilege. That doesn’t mean that veganism is just for the ‘privileged few’ and be rejected as an elitist way of life.

So you personally know more than one family who had a child born with impaired brain function due to a ‘vegan diet’? I mean, the odds of that.

I am in a dietary health field

Vegan Parents of Hospitalized Child Lose Custody for Refusing to Change Diet

This case was the fourth incidence of a vegan child being hospitalized due to malnutrition and dietary problems in the last 18 months.

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/ypeqz7/vegan-parents-of-hospitalized-child-lose-custody-for-refusing-to-change-diet

Thats the 4th in Italy - they reckon they have 1.7m vegans in total, so this is perhaps 1 in every 30,000-50,000 vegan infants

A 14 month old kid weighing in at 5kg. I don't think veganism is the issue there. 

Being able to drop a log in a flushing toilet is a comparative privilege. That doesn’t mean that veganism is just for the ‘privileged few’ and be rejected as an elitist way of life.

Well ,it might not be exclusively for the "privileged few" that live in an environment were they have access and the means to choose to be vegan . 

But it sure does help to be affluent and live in a first world country if you wanna be choosy about what you eat , doesn't it ?

Well ,it might not be exclusively for the "privileged few" that live in an environment were they have access and the means to choose to be vegan . 

But it sure does help to be affluent and live in a first world country if you wanna be choosy about what you eat , doesn't it ?

I can't argue with that. It's true. It's also true when discussing access to health care, education, etc. A lot of the vegan folks I know from back home aren't particularly well to do (I'm proper blue collar), cost for most folks isn't an issue.

The point I'm making is that if you can choose your medical aid, a nice suburb to live in, good school for the rug rats, at which larney cafe you're going to do brunch this Sunday, then the 'veganism is only for the privileged' personal defense doesn't hold water with me. 

A 14 month old kid weighing in at 5kg. I don't think veganism is the issue there. 

but it was PART of the reason. They refused to switch to a better diet, preferring strict veganism, without any vit or mineral supplementation. 

That's interesting. Nutritionist? 

I'm sure you'll appreciate I'm not going to go into my career here and with you. The point was that this stuff is not fake news, and while it is perfectly OK to be vegan as an affluent adult there are some quite significant health risks associated with veganism.

You can make a strong argument for vegetarianism with a bit of milk and eggs in your diet, but veganism not so much.

I'm sure you'll appreciate I'm not going to go into my career here and with you. The point was that this stuff is not fake news, and while it is perfectly OK to be vegan as an affluent adult there are some quite significant health risks associated with veganism.

You can make a strong argument for vegetarianism with a bit of milk and eggs in your diet, but veganism not so much.

As you wish. 

No one here has claimed it's fake news. 

There's risks with any poorly planned dietary framework. Like I've said before, a properly planned WFPB diet is healthy. 

but it was PART of the reason. They refused to switch to a better diet, preferring strict veganism, without any vit or mineral supplementation. 

You're right, but that only speaks ill of the family for neglecting to put the kid on a healthy vegan diet. If you want to go through a vegan pregnancy and have a vegan kid, do your homework, make sure the lifestyle is sorted and there shouldn't be issues. 

Granted, but I think its pretty low down on the list of factors that led to this kid being malnourished.

I can think of a handful of reasons that would take precedence over veganism, as reasons for this kid being malnourished. 

The assertion made was that veganism leads to malnourished infants. I don't think that is true.

To be fair - by your logic meat should be completely banned. It is responsible for obesity, high cholesterol, increased risk of heart disease, body odour, bad breath, dehydration, gastrointesitnal issues and kidney problems.

Meat consumption makes veganism look positively saintly by comparison.

As with anything - if you do it wrong and/or you're a nutcase/*** parent you'll end up with health issues.

You're right, but that only speaks ill of the family for neglecting to put the kid on a healthy vegan diet. If you want to go through a vegan pregnancy and have a vegan kid, do your homework, make sure the lifestyle is sorted and there shouldn't be issues.

Just interested why you say "shouldn't" as opposed to "won't"?