The Veganism Thread

Odinson

Can you expand on this? I'm not sure I under the connection between the two.

If animal exploitation was only regarding ethics, it would be one thing. However, there’s more and more research showing us that the same exploitation has major environmental and health consequences. We’re hearing the same message from different sources for different reasons.

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Exactly, and its annoying and not helpful right.

Yet you condemn one and participate in the other.

If animal exploitation was only regarding ethics, it would be one thing. However, there’s more and more research showing us that the same exploitation has major environmental and health consequences. We’re hearing the same message from different sources for different reasons.

This doesn't talk to the point below which I quoted.

Regarding the vegan bashing of late on the hub, I think it’s concerning. Even if it’s just done as a joke, it has the ability to engender, perpetuate and enforce stereotyping of a diverse community of people. Like I’ve said before, it’s a common technique - taint the messenger and you taint the message. I can take a joke, but some people can’t separate something said in jest with reality.

I think a lot of it is also down to how pervasive and pressing the need for a move away animal exploitation is becoming.

This post seems to imply that there is a need to move away from animal exploitation in order to stop the mocking of vegans?

Edited by Patchelicious

Regarding the vegan bashing of late on the hub, I think it’s concerning. Even if it’s just done as a joke, it has the ability to engender, perpetuate and enforce stereotyping of a diverse community of people. Like I’ve said before, it’s a common technique - taint the messenger and you taint the message. I can take a joke, but some people can’t separate something said in jest with reality.

I think a lot of it is also down to how pervasive and pressing the need for a move away animal exploitation is becoming.

Yeah know what you mean.....

Yet you condemn one and participate in the other.

Edited by Patchelicious

Is Friday a good day to draw parallels between toxic masculinity, fragile male egos, overcompensation and bragging about how much meat you eat? :-)

You make a good point.

Just as white males shouldn't get upset when somebody uses the term "toxic masculinity", not all vegans should get upset when jokes are made about veganists.

This doesn't talk to the point below which I quoted.

This post seems to imply that there is a need to move away from animal exploitation in order to stop the mocking of vegans?

No. That’s not what I meant.

My favourite is people who purposefully go to vegan threads to tell vegans they're wrong and to stop forcing their opinions down omnivores throats.

The meat pics, memes and ohhh I loooove a chop on a braai statements add that extra bit of spice to the hypocrisy.

Posting meat pics on this thread is plain old trolling.

Coming here to post a piece of literature that might conflict with some other claims being posted here should surely be seen as healthy debate? 

Yeah know what you mean.....

If you want to defend the double standard you’re applying, so be it. You’ll get your hackles up and claim it’s not helpful if I were to go to any thread and joke about meat eaters, but when you join in having a crack at vegans ‘it’s just a joke, bro’.

I’m not sensitive and can take a joke, but there’s a point where it turns into a malicious feedback loop.

Posting meat pics on this thread is plain old trolling.

Coming here to post a piece of literature that might conflict with some other claims being posted here should surely be seen as healthy debate?

It is and that’s what this thread is for. Discourse.

If you want to defend the double standard you’re applying, so be it. You’ll get your hackles up and claim it’s not helpful if I were to go to any thread and joke about meat eaters, but when you join in having a crack at vegans ‘it’s just a joke, bro’.

I’m not sensitive and can take a joke, but there’s a point where it turns into a malicious feedback loop.

No no, go joke about the pro meating manne. I’ll join you. That’s all jokes.

I’m saying you can’t get offended if they do the same. Not that I’m on their side.

I am waaay more pro veganism than you think.

As I’ve said before, in the cases I refer too the message is getting shot by messenger.

Patch, are you joining the Official Animal Rights March in London? It’s tomorrow 12PM at Achilles Way.

Patch, are you joining the Official Animal Rights March in London? It’s tomorrow 12PM at Achilles Way.

No, at 12pm tomorrow I’ll hopefully be eating a cheese sandwich on the summit of Ben Nevis in Scotland.

No, at 12pm tomorrow I’ll hopefully be eating a cheese sandwich on the summit of Ben Nevis in Scotland.

There you go Vegan-baiting again... All the good ones use animal rennets too.