The Veganism Thread

Odinson

Yes, when you aren’t fearing for you life, worrying about power outages, living in a self preservation mode, living in a society with low moral Fibre etc, you actually have capacity to worry about concepts like veganism or climate change.

100%

It's tough to scale Maslows Hiearchy of Needs when the government is playing snakes and ladders (and has stolen all the ladders).

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Queue violin music Eldron is going on an emotive rant :-)

Living in polar opposite countries like SA and Denmark has been quite interesting.

In SA I ate meat, my friends ate meat, everybody ate meat and we made fun of vegans and vegetarians. A nice comfy echo chamber of people that made me feel absolutely comfortable doing what I was doing.

Then I moved to Denmark and suddenly I was the outlier. It made me question how I was living. No big epiphones or eureka moments just small changes that ended up as a collectively decent size change.

I would never had made this change if I hadn't left SA. No motivation or even a hint of a reason.

I think there is a solid reason why most people on this forum that are considering eating less meat and doing more about the environment are expats.

I am currently in a space where I get to interact with a lot of young South Africans of university going age, yes, mostly the smarter and somewhat wealthier part of society, but still a fair mix of our countries young leaders of tomorrow. I see LOTS of vegetarians and vegans among them. Many are quite serious about it, from an ethical point of view and I get taken to task for some of my own habits from time to time, but mostly in a good natured way. Somewhat more girls are vegan than guys. Lots of guys go vegan if they are interested in a vegan girlfriend. Of course, one will have to wait and see if all this will translate into life long habits or peter out like other young habits. But at least the next generation is thinking about these things and are willing to do something about it. Even here. That can only be a good thing!

Yes, when you aren’t fearing for you life, worrying about power outages, living in a self preservation mode, living in a society with low moral Fibre etc, you actually have capacity to worry about concepts like veganism or climate change.

2f9a41cf592028997f73824bdc2c75c5.jpg

Or trying to process this reality.....

2f9a41cf592028997f73824bdc2c75c5.jpg

Or trying to process this reality.....

Which one is the vegan?

Jokes aside, 25+ years ago when I attended a private school in joburg, the same thing used to happen. I can recall more than 1 occasion when someone bought their dad's gun to school in a bid to be 'cool'. It's nothing new. 

Edited by GrahamS2

What you're highlighting is the fact that SA is just a third world country. That's just the reason we're so far behind the curve with first world trends, obviously. Barriers to entry is not just an economic term, it affects or whole development. The internet has certainly closed the gap for the more privileged on the scale as to showing us whats going on out there and letting us learn, but I think its not that we don't have the capacity to think about these issues, it that most people out here don't know it even exists.

What you're highlighting is the fact that SA is just a third world country. That's just the reason we're so far behind the curve with first world trends, obviously. Barriers to entry is not just an economic term, it affects or whole development. The internet has certainly closed the gap for the more privileged on the scale as to showing us whats going on out there and letting us learn, but I think its not that we don't have the capacity to think about these issues, it that most people out here don't know it even exists.

Not necessarily. 

While I agree that education forms a big part, adoption is based your environment. Getting educated on the matter also takes time, and people most aren't going to read about veganism by candle light.

There are some studies I saw/heard that spoke about GDP levels that need to be achieved before there is large scale adoption.

Not necessarily. 

While I agree that education forms a big part, adoption is based your environment. Getting educated on the matter also takes time, and people most aren't going to read about veganism by candle light.

There are some studies I saw/heard that spoke about GDP levels that need to be achieved before there is large scale adoption.

I think we're saying the same thing. Education yes, and infrastructure and accessibility that needs to be put in place before adoption can be entertained. You're not going to be reading about veganism by candlelight because you won't know how to read... nor have access to books... 

The GDP point makes perfect sense.

Anyone watched this ?

https://gamechangersmovie.com/

Watched it on Netflix last night. Please take your pinch of salt, especially that whole manhood bit (wtf?)

I enjoyed the last bit about the Rangers in ZIM, though. The insight gained from the Ranger, rings true, the only way to really conserve and protect animals (which he has now dedicated his life to ) is to conserve and protect ALL animals. 

Anyone watched this ?

Watched it on Netflix last night. Please take your pinch of salt, especially that whole manhood bit (wtf?)

I enjoyed the last bit about the Rangers in ZIM, though. The insight gained from the Ranger, rings true, the only way to really conserve and protect animals (which he has now dedicated his life to ) is to conserve and protect ALL animals. 

I'll watch it eventually but not rushing out to find it.

The to and fro from that strongman dude the other day made him sound like a real knob. Some of the other characters like Scott Jurek and Kendrick Farris I already follow and love so I'm not sure how much I want them to see them hollywood'ized...

Although I'm now interested in the rangers part.

I know this is not the running thread but if anyone is interested in human endurance pushed to the absolute limit Scott and Jenny Jureks book North is a really good easy read. They touch on being vegan but its not the focus.

Anyone watched this ?

Yeah, the whole erection things was a bit tongue in cheek, but there is science to back it up. I'm sure it can be replicated in a larger study. 

I enjoyed the docu. Watched it on the big screen before it was released on Netflix. 

It's just a shame that there's a bunch of long term vegans that have great athletic achievements, but probably weren't included as they didn't have that star/sex appeal of the newer crop of athletes. People like Fiona Oakes comes to mind. 

Still highly recommended though. 

Busy watching it now..the erection section is funny and the doc admits it’s as yet not scientifically proven. Previously in the flick where blood is drawn and analyzed etc showed differences, these could be the cause.

Interesting documentary, piqued my interest. Without a doubt in the West we are eating way too much meat so possibly the balance point is not from one extreme to another.

Edited by IceCreamMan

Busy watching it now..the erection section is funny and the doc admits it’s as yet not scientifically proven. Previously in the flick where blood is drawn and analyzed etc showed differences, these could be the cause.

Interesting documentary, piqued my interest. Without a doubt in the West we are eating way too much meat so possibly the balance point is not from one extreme to another.

This is definitely worth a read. 

https://gamechangersmovie.com/benefits/optimizing-health/

The health benefits experienced by those Firefighters after just 7 days on a plant based diet was amazing!!

The health benefits experienced by those Firefighters after just 7 days on a plant based diet was amazing!!

Have to agree , on the surface of it, it was amazing.

Being a doubting Thomas I will need to investigate more.

I guess one just becomes so used to ones diet that any change is seen as a hassle. Our lives are intertwined with food and food rituals.

IIRC, they didn't name it, but Rip Esselstyn's has been doing amazing work with his Engine 2 diet, which is basically just a low fat, whole food plant based diet. 

His father, Caldwell Esselstyn Jr. has used that type of dietary protocol to reverse severe CAD: https://dresselstyn.com/JFP_06307_Article1.pdf