The Veganism Thread

Odinson

attachicon.gifcheese.jpg

bought this at a market this weekend. 

Now if I told you it's a savoury nut spread (macadamia nuts) I think most people would enjoy it. It has a grainy texture to it and a nice taste.

But now if I told you what it's actually sold as -- vegan cheese, you might (like me be disappointed) 

I haven't tried melting it yet, apparently it melts like normal cheese but this is one time where I'd say yeah, don't call it cheese man!!! 

it's expensive, small 200g tub R50 and I imagine the calorie / fat content is pretty high, but as a "cheese" cracker alternative, or in a salad, it's not bad. on a pizza .... hell no! 

For melty cheese, you generally need to go for an oil-based version. For spreading on crackers and the like, a nut-based does really well. 

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

For melty cheese, you generally need to go for an oil-based version. For spreading on crackers and the like, a nut-based does really well. 

one of my favourite vegan restaurants does things with vegan cheese and I don't miss my cheese at all.. I decided to try this more for health reasons (lactose) . will it replace that huge block of cheddar or parmesan in my fridge .... look...shiny !!  :ph34r:  :whistling:

Let's make no bones about it, some of these vegan cheeses are pretty damn calorie dense, so if you're watching your figure, I'd not eat too much of it. 

This Friday evening the wife and I are planning a cheese 'n wine for dinner. Still on the hunt for what cheeses to use, but I'll post here to show what we had. 

"Oh please" what? 

In the time it took you to find that pic, you could've typed a constructive response. 

If you're not "vegan curious" why visit this thread?

I'm definitely not curious as to become a vegan. But it's interesting to read why people follow certain lifestyles. I didn't see the sign on the door that said no non vegans allowed.

Edited by Mudsimus

I saw this book on the weekend and was tempted to buy a copy for a few of the people on here, but then I saw it was more about recipes and not attitude.... 

http://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/1147/3916/products/How-to-be-vegan-and-keep-your-friends-book_1024x1024.jpg?v=1541080784

Edited by Patchelicious

I'm definitely not curious as to become a vegan. But it's interesting to read why people follow certain lifestyles. I didn't see the sign on the door that said no non vegans allowed.

This is a safe space. All is welcome. 

I didn't say no vegans aren't allowed, I'm not vegan myself. but he seems to come in here to bash everything and not in a constructive way either.  

much like an atheist popping into a thread about religion having a go for the sake of having a go. 

I didn't say no vegans aren't allowed, I'm not vegan myself. but he seems to come in here to bash everything and not in a constructive way either.  

much like an atheist popping into a thread about religion having a go for the sake of having a go. 

Did you just compare veganism to religion??????

tenor.gif?itemid=7551664

That's how discussions are started. Quite often the opposite pole of your view might come across as non constructive.