Total cost of my recent overseas purchase

Spock

Always lots of questions regarding the cost of buying stuff from overseas, duties, VAT etc.

Here is an example of a recent purchase made from JensonUSA on BF, using Aramex Global Shopper:

Helmet (USD59.99)                         856.04

Total Shipment Charges                  304.00

Clearance                                        50.00

Duties                                              207.75

VAT                                                  168.30

Total                                                 1 586.09

Hopefully it will help someone out there.

Will be interesting to know the make of helmet and availability/price in the good old SA.

One of the following 2, according to the JensonUSA website:

Evobikes has the IXS for R1795.00

post-103677-0-12159300-1544089674_thumb.png

Cycle Lab has the Scott Fuga Plus for R2499.99 (expected rip off)

Bike Radar has it for R1990.00

post-103677-0-81925000-1544089682_thumb.png

What are duties on a helmet?

It appears this was charged above.  Didn't know there were duties.

25% duty on helmets

There is some red tape when importing helmets though. Probably something to do with the fact that they are a safety item. I've had trouble in the past

Regardless, the duties and VAT normally make it not worth the hassle

I'm considering ordering a Quarq power meter from overseas. Roughly 630 GBP.

Would anybody have an idea regarding SA duties and clearance on that? Then I'd also need to add VAT on top of that I guess?

Perhaps it will wind up too expensive...

Would anybody have an idea regarding SA duties and clearance on that? Then I'd also need to add VAT on top of that I guess?

I think you would not incur duties with a power meter, but would have to add VAT and the clearance fee which seems to be anywhere from R150 to R350 depending on courier company.

Excluding the clearance fee and cost of delivery I would estimate you're looking at plus/minus R13 590 (=630*18.51*1.165)

After doing some mafs, I deduce the following:

USD to ZAR as of today: 1USD = 14.04 ZAR

post-103677-0-31206300-1544100612_thumb.png

edit - VAT component calculation fix

At the promotion price, there is a nominal saving on the 2 helmets in question. The saving is considerably bigger if going for the Scott, and when comparing to Cycle Lab. The IXS is nominally cheaper, which would lead me to buy local for faster product reception.

But as for normal pricing, those helmets can be source much cheaper in SA. My browsing effort took no more than 20 seconds, so I believe that for all the hassle, buying local is still best, unless you are going for goods not available here.

I think you would not incur duties with a power meter, but would have to add VAT and the clearance fee which seems to be anywhere from R150 to R350 depending on courier company.

Excluding the clearance fee and cost of delivery I would estimate you're looking at plus/minus R13 590 (=630*18.51*1.165)

Thanks for your answer. Possibly I could get the shop in the UK to drop the UK VAT element...(probably they won't be able to)

What leads you to think duties would not be incurred?

You are not liable to pay the UK Vat as you are purchasing from outside EU/UK.

I buy from the UK and deliver to Nigeria. No Vat.

Thanks for your answer. Possibly I could get the shop in the UK to drop the UK VAT element...(probably they won't be able to)

What leads you to think duties would not be incurred?

Because bicycle parts do not incur duties!!

If you are considering importing it would be worth your while to do some google research if nothing else to find out the duties that you will likely incur.... else just do a search of the various forum threads here... like this one https://community.bikehub.co.za/topic/75887-import-duties-on-cycling-goods/?hl=duties

If nothing else will give you piece of mind and to know you are getting a good deal over buying local.

Quarq is a SRAM product so you're going to struggle to find a shop who will ship directly to South Africa and remove the UK VAT.

One of the following 2, according to the JensonUSA website:

Evobikes has the IXS for R1795.00

attachicon.gif2018-12-06 11_45_22-Men's Bike Helmets _ Jenson USA.png

Cycle Lab has the Scott Fuga Plus for R2499.99 (expected rip off)

Bike Radar has it for R1990.00

attachicon.gif2018-12-06 11_45_03-Men's Bike Helmets _ Jenson USA.png

Correct Detective, it's the IXS.  :)

The local distributor doesn't import the XLW size, which is why I bought from JensonUSA and not locally.  

Archived