Safety on the roads ... and cyclists behaviour...

ChrisF

Beach Road this morning on our way back from ride. 3 different rider groups stop at the lights. One older lone rider swerves around us and jumps the light. He certainly wasn't trying to beat any segments based on his riding. Idiot!

• Replies 294
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Beach Road this morning on our way back from ride. 3 different rider groups stop at the lights. One older lone rider swerves around us and jumps the light. He certainly wasn't trying to beat any segments based on his riding. Idiot!

Sounds like a knob.

Which brings up the question what can we as cyclist do

1) Wearing bright colours?

2) Lots of lights around the bike?

3) Warning systems ?

maxresdefault.jpg

That is supposedly one reason why bicycles must have reflectors while on public roads, I guess. I have lights my bike when riding after sunset and reflectors on the spokes, but none of these are any use when confronted with a driver looking down at their phone. Only  lights that will distract a driver looking down at their phone, is one of those purple 40W laser shotguns that Styropyro made.

To be fair, one of the more constructive threads on the hub at the moment.

Yup - by Hub standards, this has been quite civil.

We're six pages in, and there is no hint of Godwin's Law!

We've even touched on helmets and somehow stayed civil...

Yup - by Hub standards, this has been quite civil.

We're six pages in, and there is no hint of Godwin's Law!

We've even touched on helmets and somehow stayed civil...

Nobody has mention the cyclist hitting a motorist with his front wheel or the time MTN squad leaned over and took the keys out of the ignition of a woman that tried to run them over and rode off with them.

Nobody has posted a pic from our instagram of us breaking a road rule either, people are obviously busy!

Edited by Pure Savage

Seems that the biggest culprit is potentially the use of the mobile phone.  So if you riding in the yellow, or in the middle of the road neither will protect you from such a driver.  

Commuted this morning and was struck by how many drivers were friendly and courteous to me - things like letting me cross the intersection first even though they arrived ahead of me. Making space for me when stopping at a robot, only passing when it was safe etc.

Mornings like this I'm convinced the whole motorists vs cyclists divide is greatly exaggerated... (until I get on thehub at least)

But the one thing I noticed again was how many drivers in traffic are on their phones!! It is CLEARLY sociably acceptable for a large portion of drivers to do this and the peeps calling them out on this are considered the $%^holes. I have no idea how this is problem is going to get fixed but I'm certain a great number of motorists and cyclists are going to die before it is.

Commuted this morning and was struck by how many drivers were friendly and courteous to me - things like letting me cross the intersection first even though they arrived ahead of me. Making space for me when stopping at a robot, only passing when it was safe etc.

And then you woke up ? :-)

You can do whatever you like within the law and other road users must deal with it.

Does your car have four round circles on the front or a B M W?

Riding 3 abreast (original post) is not within the law.

And no I don't drive an Audi or BMW, I drive a little Palio mostly. I wouldn't be taken seriously if I had to hoot at anyone whilst driving the Palio.

To be fair, one of the more constructive threads on the hub at the moment.

Great

Life’s too short.

Keep up the good work, @PureSavage

#carsaredeadlyweapons

#stayfarwideoftherider ????

Edited by 'Dale