How do you clean your helmet ?

The Ouzo

Take them into the shower with me and wash with shampoo. Race helmets(2 of) after every race and training helmets(also 2) about once a month or sooner if I deem it necessary. My one race helmet is a kask mojito and the chin strap is leather so I try not get that too wet as I don't know how it will last with a lot of water. I used to just take the sponges out and wash just them but they didn't last with the constant pulling away from the velcro, they used to come apart. 

Garmin HR strap gets washed about once to twice a month in a delicates bag in the washing machine.

My cycling stuff all gets washed regularly and with care. Even my cassettes get the royal treatment.

attachicon.gif20161119_151239.jpgattachicon.gif20161119_151610.jpg

my vrou sal my hard moer

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Nothing wrong with being clean.

Of, like me, you sweat a lot, then you'd also wash gloves and helmets to prevent it from ponging.

Gloves go I'm the wash with my cycling/running kit, helmet takes a shower with me.

I sweat A LOT. The straps are white after a ride.

I've been sticking the helmet in the wash with my kit and gloves.

Our washing machine is only setup for cold water so I dont think its having any ill effect on my helmet, but I'll try the shower technique as well.

Garmin strap goes with me into the shower after every ride, gets a good rinse and then hung over the towel rail to dry.

my vrou sal my hard moer

She gets a choice, I wash it in the kitchen sink or one of the bathroom basins. 

I don't have an outside basin so I have no choice. I do have plans to put a basin outside by the laundry as I often get my hands very dirty working on bikes/cars so I want somewhere outside to wash hands and stuff. I am actually looking at a very wide basin thing(like a trough) so I can wash the bikes above it. I currently wash bikes in my garden hanging from the bike stand and I often see worms and stuff climbing out of the grass so I don't think they smaak the soap.

every now and again i rinse the straps under running water to get rid of the salt.I take out the pads less often as the velcro sometimes comes loose.throw the pads in washbasin wash thoroughly and let them dry.as good as new.

Edited by reteid

i wash my helmets in the shower - spray with muc off helmet wash first, then rinse in the shower.

Fullface lining gets removed and washed properly with dish soap,

I have an incredibly helpful and patient wife who regularly removes my straps and pad/liner thingies and they go safely into a little net pouch doodad with clothes in the washing machine. The helmet itself I then wash when I’m doing my bike and shoes with my normal soap & Clean Green mix.

If I do a 60 or 80km ride sometimes I can come back with a black visor and straps from the sweat and dust.

I see other guys with straps that are black or brown at the start of a ride and that is just plain gross.

Take them into the shower with me and wash with shampoo. Race helmets(2 of) after every race and training helmets(also 2) about once a month or sooner if I deem it necessary. My one race helmet is a kask mojito and the chin strap is leather so I try not get that too wet as I don't know how it will last with a lot of water. I used to just take the sponges out and wash just them but they didn't last with the constant pulling away from the velcro, they used to come apart. 

Garmin HR strap gets washed about once to twice a month in a delicates bag in the washing machine.

My cycling stuff all gets washed regularly and with care. Even my cassettes get the royal treatment.

attachicon.gif20161119_151239.jpgattachicon.gif20161119_151610.jpg

If I do what you did in that picture, get the obituary ready!!

I have an incredibly helpful and patient wife who regularly removes my straps and pad/liner thingies and they go safely into a little net pouch doodad with clothes in the washing machine. The helmet itself I then wash when I’m doing my bike and shoes with my normal soap & Clean Green mix.

If I do a 60 or 80km ride sometimes I can come back with a black visor and straps from the sweat and dust.

I see other guys with straps that are black or brown at the start of a ride and that is just plain gross.

Give that wife a Bells! 

• 2 years later...

Have a white helmet which shows dirt much easier. The helmet is also a bit more matt than gloss. Recommendations on protective coating to minimising dirt sticking on a helmet. Considering using the soap that I use for my car and bike.

She gets a choice, I wash it in the kitchen sink or one of the bathroom basins. 

I don't have an outside basin so I have no choice. I do have plans to put a basin outside by the laundry as I often get my hands very dirty working on bikes/cars so I want somewhere outside to wash hands and stuff. I am actually looking at a very wide basin thing(like a trough) so I can wash the bikes above it. I currently wash bikes in my garden hanging from the bike stand and I often see worms and stuff climbing out of the grass so I don't think they smaak the soap.

Yeah, but right there with the baby's bottles? I'd be living in the dog box for a month.

Try Motorex Helmet Care active foam. Spray it inside your helmet and leave it. Antibacterial and leaves a clean fragrance.