UCI DH World Cup 2019 Season

Hairy

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I wonder if Rachel had used antibiotics? Apparently some antibiotics can weaken tendons that may lead to ruptures.

I wonder if Rachel had used antibiotics? Apparently some antibiotics can weaken tendons that may lead to ruptures.

Pose the question on her insta? Lots more update to info here.

But some info from way back. Apparently the link between tendinitis and this specific class of ABs, dates back to the 1980s.

July 8, 2008 -- Federal regulators are ordering new warnings on Cipro and similar antibiotics because of increased risk of tendinitis and tendon rupture.

The new warnings apply to fluoroquinolones, a class of antibiotics that includes the popular drug Cipro. The FDA has told companies that the drugs must now carry "black box" warnings alerting doctors and patients that the drugs can increase risk of tendinitis and tendon rupture in some patients.

Fluoroquinolones have carried similar warnings for years, but officials say they continue to receive reports of safety problems. A "black box" warning is the FDA's sternest warning.

"We have seen continuing reports of tendon rupture so we are trying to increase awareness," says Edward Cox, MD, director of the FDA's Office of Antimicrobial Products.

The warning applies to drugs of the fluoroquinolone class, including Cipro, Cipro XR, Proquin XR, LevaquinFloxinNoroxinAvelox, Factive, and marketed generics.

Renata Albrecht, MD, who heads the FDA's Division of Special Pathogen and Transplant Products, estimates that spontaneous ruptures occur in about one in 100,000 people. The agency says taking the drugs appears to triple or quadruple the risk.

Most of the tendinitis and tendon ruptures affect the Achilles tendon, behind the ankle. But the agency has also received reports of tendinitis and ruptures in the shoulder and hand. Tendons connect muscle to bone.

Officials also say they are adding new warnings cautioning that patients over 60, those taking corticosteroids, and those who've undergone heartlung, or kidneytransplants are also at increased risk of tendon rupture or tendinitis if they take fluoroquinolones.

Researchers don't know exactly what fluoroquinolones do that promotes tendon rupturing. Theories suggest the drug may impede collagen formation or interrupt blood supply in joints, Albrecht says.

She says patients taking the drugs should tell their doctors immediately if they experience soreness or inflammation in muscles or tendons and that they should not exercise affected joints.

A consumer watchdog group sued the FDA in January asking for the new warnings. The agency has received more than 400 reports of tendon ruptures in fluoroquinolone patients since 1997, according to Public Citizen's Health Research Group, which filed the suit.

FDA officials would not confirm the number of reports of ruptures it has received, citing the ongoing litigation.

"There are several hundred, I would say," says Ann McMahon, MD, acting director of FDA's Division of Adverse Event Analysis II.

Edited by Capricorn

I had a tetanus shot about 2 years ago and the Dr. gave me an antibiotic shot as well. Later at home I Googled it and saw it had fluoroquinolone in it. Thankfully I didn't have any side effects that I know of and it was a once-off, not a whole course. Still, kind of concerning that some Doctors will still use this stuff without warning patients.

I had a tetanus shot about 2 years ago and the Dr. gave me an antibiotic shot as well. Later at home I Googled it and saw it had fluoroquinolone in it. Thankfully I didn't have any side effects that I know of and it was a once-off, not a whole course. Still, kind of concerning that some Doctors will still use this stuff without warning patients.

Cathro's latest vid shows from various angles, Rachel's landing that resulted in the injury: really was as undramatic as it gets, even though she cased it.

Apparently, Rachel had noted the problems her younger protegé experienced coming off that last drop, and decided to shift her weight further back in anticipation of being bucked over the bars should she case it.

So in the footage from the front, zoomed in, show's she dropped her heel. Her foot didn't hit the ground, but it's clear she loaded that calf muscle. Cathro also pointed to Rachel's earlier long jump efforts during the same practice run that could be a contributor. All speculation of course.

So jury still on out whether it was that loading, and/or a pre-existing condition of the tendon.

I have rather floppy ankles i.e I roll over my ankles easily but luckily this flexibility doesn't translate into serious injuries and might actually prevent them. That said, I have hurt my ankles doing jumps and drops where the landings are hard. One of my earlier bikes blew through its travel all too easily (or maybe my set up was wrong) My current big bike is far cushier.

Hard to see from the videos how hard the impacts were when Rachel hurt herself, but perhaps her bike was set up too soft as it was rather early in the practice session. Still a weird one though. 

In which sports do people injure their Chilies tendon the most I wonder?

I have rather floppy ankles i.e I roll over my ankles easily but luckily this flexibility doesn't translate into serious injuries and might actually prevent them. That said, I have hurt my ankles doing jumps and drops where the landings are hard. One of my earlier bikes blew through its travel all too easily (or maybe my set up was wrong) My current big bike is far cushier.

Hard to see from the videos how hard the impacts were when Rachel hurt herself, but perhaps her bike was set up too soft as it was rather early in the practice session. Still a weird one though. 

American basketball

The verdict is still out on the Chillies part!

maxresdefault.jpg

No American cause they are the most intense with the biggest and tallest players on earth who are on average the most fit and have the longest legs which all contribute to sport suffering more of those injuries

So u saying us with long legs are at a disadvantage

????