Ruptured Achilles Tendon

Greybeard

I can't unfortunately but it was one of those broad range types.

Some specific antibiotics are associated with tendon issues... Quinolones... best avoided unless absolutely necessary - I am curious as to whether you were taking one - can you remember the specific antibiotic?

• 3 weeks later...

So..... my best mate from Canada has fractional ownership place in Pinnacle Point, they came over and invited us (as he should...)

Arrived Sat like 02h30, super cool. Went for hike around the beach Sunday, booked our golf spots for Mon 08h30.

Sun afternoon I stepped out to the pool, missed a step, a really, really little step (and I was stone cold sober...) and in process of recovering balance snapped right Achilles... tripple fooooock.

Was attached Sun eve 22h30, now the frikkin schlepp....

Edited by Warthog

Good luck,

Follow the rehab protocol and most of all, be patient! I am in week 7 after the cast removal and I am back in gym but following the suggested exercise routine with focus on stationary cycling. This is apparently excellent to also improve circulation around the ankle and tendon. Say goodbye to your calf, but in time it starts coming back. Good luck.

So..... my best mate from Canada has fractional ownership place in Pinnacle Point, they came over and invited us (as he should...)

Arrived Sat like 02h30, super cool. Went for hike around the beach Sunday, booked our golf spots for Mon 08h30.

Sun afternoon I stepped out to the pool, missed a step, a really, really little step (and I was stone cold sober...) and in process of recovering balance snapped right Achilles... tripple fooooock.

Was attached Sun eve 22h30, now the frikkin schlepp....

Good luck,

Follow the rehab protocol and most of all, be patient! I am in week 7 after the cast removal and I am back in gym but following the suggested exercise routine with focus on stationary cycling. This is apparently excellent to also improve circulation around the ankle and tendon. Say goodbye to your calf, but in time it starts coming back. Good luck.

Thanks mate.

• 3 weeks later...

Out of interest sake, were any of you on fluoroquinilone (eg Ciprofloxacin) antibiotics prior to your ruptures?

Yes, exactly. In the US there is a black box warning around tendons but my GP was completely unaware.

Yes, exactly. In the US there is a black box warning around tendons but my GP was completely unaware.

That really doesn't cut it. He must be sleeping under a bush.

• 5 months later...

An update on my Achilles Rupture.

I am happy to say that I am back into riding for 3 months now and other than a bit of weakness in the right leg I have no other side effects.

As soon as I could I started with a program at Virgin Active, concentrating on the damaged leg and it took a while to improve but I could feel the internal scar tissue breaking down  over a number of weeks and now it is back to normal.

The great advice I received from this forum was invaluable, especially regarding circulation around the damage. For this I use a compression type support and after a session the evidence of circulation  improvement can be seen and felt.

With regards to the antibiotic effect, I was treated heavily for an infection before the event and it does appear as if GP's are now much more aware of the potential effect. I now won't touch the stuff.

Patience and good advice coupled with discipline are the key factors I believe.

• 2 years later...

So... I joined the club. Not entirely sure how the incident happened. But my first instinct was that someone stepped on my heel. Probably one of my own team mates while playing netbal (yes you read that correctly). School had a mixed teams tournament. I was was stretched, warmed up.. but ya, it happened. Either a team mate or it went on itself. This was 26 April. Got op on 29th. Cast for just over two weeks and now in moon boot until I see the doc again on June 13th. 

Saw my physio yesterday and she said I should slowly start standing on the boot and try to do the walking motion to get some circulation going.

I must say my body is busted from the compensation. Other leg hurts, hip flexor hurts, neck and shoulder spasms from the bad posture and crutches.. 

And Im now scared that it can happen again. I have never had serious injuries from sports but this terrifies me. I do have a disco bulge on that side. But it is something I manage and do stretches and physio. And I did every sport available to me during my high school and varsity days. 

This is very frustrating. Hoping I can drive and walk again in a few weeks

I have just read the post from the first post and must agree with most that following a good rehab protocol and patients is the key to getting back on the bike quicker . In my 40 I fell and broke my shoulder ( top bone ) and had it pinned and also had a few weeks  off bike but a lot of rehab exercise to do as given by the physio . Two and a half years ago i fell and broke my femur and had a hip replacement and again the rehab and patients  was vital  to getting back on the bike . Follow your physios advice and do the prescribed exercises to a quicker recovery .  Good luck and a healthy recovery .