For the aviation fans

Lotus

Ok so there was no "smoke" at all. The aircraft had been on the ground for a few hours while they were fixing the door. The aircon had been running at max. Then once the doors got closed and everything cooled down it was high condensation. The pilot claimed they smelled smoke but no signs of any sort of smoke can be found. The aircraft came back this morning and is in the hanger now having the door looked at.

Thanks LWB. I find this quite interesting, in that I don't doubt the pilot's version.I recall reading that when people encounter high stress environments, they sometimes recall events in a very imprecise manner, and even when interviewing multiple witnesses, they all tell a somewhat different story. Some people will say they smelt smoke, some will say they saw and smelt smoke. Others will say there was a fire. The cold hard facts will reveal a different chain of events, but the human mind is fascinating in that it can, and sometimes does, make up events to fill in the blanks.

And if you're an obscure, semi known (not famous) Canadian wannabe, then this is your stage to promote yourself.

The pilots were likely so fixated on the "smoke" that their olfactory senses also decided it can be the only logical explanation, and therefor likely tricked the brain into thinking it was indeed smoke. And being a pilot on a transatlantic crossing about to start, I can imagine the stress factors were high considering the door damage event, and the irate passengers, the possible expiry of their flyable hours and a host of contributing factors which led to the point of turning back to Accra now that there was smoke in the cockpit reducing visibility. 

I would not want to pilot a plane under those circumstances.

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The pilots were likely so fixated on the "smoke" that their olfactory senses also decided it can be the only logical explanation, and therefor likely tricked the brain into thinking it was indeed smoke.

AKA "confirmation bias"

Humans create mental models of complicated things to help them process information faster, especially in high pressure environments.

Their decision making processes are expedited by referencing these models. When your training for emergencies kicks in, you look for the patterns and models that matter most, and "smoke(?) in the cockpit" almost always means trouble.

So, you do what your instincts and training tell you to do, and you accept the input data coming from your environment and mental models. And bug out, fast.

Edited by Lotus

Just to be sure, this was not a "normal" landing. When banging a plane weighing in the region of 240 tons, exceeding its maximum landing weight of 182 tons, onto a runway, it would take some top notch engineering to prevent the whole landing gear structure to not simply melt on the spot, or even to simply collapse under the sheer stress and forces exerted onto the gear struts.

Now that I think about it, this is probably why the cabin crew were going bananas. They were most likely told by someone in the cockpit to prepare for a load of poo coming their way.

Again, LWB would know, but I am sure a crew of SAA Technical is crawling all over that particular airframe to make sure it is serviceable. (at least I would hope so).

Yeah the guys were doing LG inspections when I was down in the hanger this morning. They were more worried about the LG than the "smoke" issue.

Ok so there was no "smoke" at all. The aircraft had been on the ground for a few hours while they were fixing the door. The aircon had been running at max. Then once the doors got closed and everything cooled down it was high condensation. The pilot claimed they smelled smoke but no signs of any sort of smoke can be found. The aircraft came back this morning and is in the hanger now having the door looked at.

Hmmm, I’ve seen condensation like smoke in a plane before, it’s usually visible in the whole plane. Why was it only seen in the cockpit?

Did the bladdy Pilots have the cockpit aircon set much lower than the cabin.... typical pilots ????

Edited by SwissVan

Hmmm, I’ve seen condensation like smoke in a plane before, it’s usually visible in the whole plane. Why was it only seen in the cockpit?

Did the bladdy Pilots have the cockpit aircon set much lower than the cabin.... typical pilots

I am not sure. I have also seen it plenty times but the thing is it evaporates very quickly. So it comes out of the vent like half a meter and then it's gone whereas smoke won't go away so easily.

Niko & Frikkie on the decks ....

I've left JNB so many times, always with a window seat. I know the view off by heart.

Bit homesick watching that . . . .

I've left JNB so many times, always with a window seat. I know the view off by heart.

Bit homesick watching that . . . .

You are not missing much right now here in the Highveld: dry, dusty, blackened veld, polluted air,  bad drivers, Rand going south again, ... should I go on?

That video of the SAA A340-600 must be old, when did FAJS change from Jhb International to Oliver Reginald?