For the aviation fans

Lotus

Now if only they could install something like that in all new cars. It monitors speed and a few more things to determine if the driver behaves reclessly. Then, if it decides that is the case, the next time the car is started, it gives a message and refuse to start for 15 minutes. For really reckless things like a 200km/h on the N1, it gives a message and refuse to start at all. Imagine them installing that in all taxis and buses. It they can build cars to drive themselves, why not build cars that will refuse to drive for idiots?!

My boet used to be part of an online motoring magazine. He used to test cars and write an article. He had some fancy sports volvo on test, it's a small hatchback thing with the same engine as the focus ST. We were busy DRIVING it and next second this thing just starts beeping and flashing and went into a limp mode of sorts. Gave us some story about a cool off period. Few min later it calmed down and allowed us to carry on driving. Needless to say, we then drove a bit more civilized.

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Now if only they could install something like that in all new cars. It monitors speed and a few more things to determine if the driver behaves reclessly. Then, if it decides that is the case, the next time the car is started, it gives a message and refuse to start for 15 minutes. For really reckless things like a 200km/h on the N1, it gives a message and refuse to start at all. Imagine them installing that in all taxis and buses. It they can build cars to drive themselves, why not build cars that will refuse to drive for idiots?!

There would be a special secret code you could punch in if you had to drive fast for an emergency. Two days after the system was released there'd be a black-market for false codes for sale from guys at the robots in town......

:-)

My boet used to be part of an online motoring magazine. He used to test cars and write an article. He had some fancy sports volvo on test, it's a small hatchback thing with the same engine as the focus ST. We were busy DRIVING it and next second this thing just starts beeping and flashing and went into a limp mode of sorts. Gave us some story about a cool off period. Few min later it calmed down and allowed us to carry on driving. Needless to say, we then drove a bit more civilized.

C30 T5

Sounds more like a problem than a safety feature.

But. modern Volvos have the tech to do just what DJR wants, its just a matter of making it more intrusive.

You are already supplied with 2 keys where you can set a max speed on the one key (although those cars are limited from the factory to 180km/h max speed)

I actually think in the US they have some sort of recording device that records some basic details, like speed that they can use in accident investigations.  I remember seeing a program of some guy who actually fell asleep behind the steering wheel and the foot pushed down on the gas pedal.  The car drifted of the road at one heck of a speed and hit a storm water drain causing the car to ramp and get airborne, hitting a bridge pilar (upper half of the pilar) and the car disintegrated completely and the driver was flung out and survived with only minor injuries if I recall correctly.

Merle Larson a WWII B24 pilot starting a dead Piper J-3 Cub engine mid flight during a practice session for an airshow at Buchanan Field, 1946.

The plane is being flown by Gladys Davis a CFI (certified flight instructor) from the back seat.

What you don't see in the picture is a the big pair of steel balls that he has.  Obviously he has no fear of hights.  :eek:

C30 T5

Sounds more like a problem than a safety feature.

But. modern Volvos have the tech to do just what DJR wants, its just a matter of making it more intrusive.

You are already supplied with 2 keys where you can set a max speed on the one key (although those cars are limited from the factory to 180km/h max speed)

Wonder what the speed setting would be for Volvos sold in Germany.  Competing here against the German manufacturers it would be a handicap to set at 180.  180 is not that fast here.

What you don't see in the picture is a the big pair of steel balls that he has.  Obviously he has no fear of hights.  :eek:

https://www.kolotv.com/content/news/A-new-centenarian-in-Carson-City-473528433.html

Larson served four years in the military, and was overseas on V-E Day. After the war, Larson continued his love of aviation; building planes and flying as a stuntman. His signature stunt was stopping the engine of his prop plane in mid-air, then climbing out of the plane and hand cranking the propeller. The stunt fascinated people, but Larson has a secret.

"There's a pilot that you can't see," he said. "This is a very safe, actually you can't fall. I've got one leg hooked in there."
Edited by MrJacques

Wonder what the speed setting would be for Volvos sold in Germany.  Competing here against the German manufacturers it would be a handicap to set at 180.  180 is not that fast here.

still 180.

has caused a big stir, but then so did the 3 point seat belt and various other safety features when they were first introduced.

So any of you flight radar people maybe notice a cargo plane from Mumbai to Joburg today? [emoji6][emoji1787]

https://www.news24.com/news24/southafrica/news/have-the-vaccines-arrived-rare-cargo-flight-from-mumbai-has-planespotters-abuzz-20210126

Did not follow it but there was a flight :).  They obviously don't know the right people as some Indian folk managed to arrange landing at Waterkloof before :)

post-71-0-46081800-1611692033_thumb.jpg

Just a quick question. Do helicopters also do have these blackboxes that records flight data and voice in order to establish the cause of the accident?

I know for small aricraft it is optional, but my thinking was around the recent Netcare Chopper crash.

Short version: Yes they do, depending on the size (weight above 3100kg I think), if it is turbine powered and commercially operated.

The bell 430 weighs less than 3100kg, so I don’t think it would have a FDR

The regulations regarding FDR’s are typical aviation regulations, complexing to say the least

Most small machines won't have any data recording. Many larger machines will have a form of data recording, mostly twins and used for engine and trend monitoring, sometimes with video recording of the cockpit environment. These are normally required by the manufacturer, with different products available depending on the country or region you are based. But not the same indestructible black box and voice recorder systems carried by the likes of airliner's

So any of you flight radar people maybe notice a cargo plane from Mumbai to Joburg today? [emoji6][emoji1787]

https://www.news24.com/news24/southafrica/news/have-the-vaccines-arrived-rare-cargo-flight-from-mumbai-has-planespotters-abuzz-20210126

Did not follow it but there was a flight :).  They obviously don't know the right people as some Indian folk managed to arrange landing at Waterkloof before :)

attachicon.gifflight.jpg

We have just started prepping one of our preserved aircraft. We have been told it is going to fetch the vaccines. When we all got told to start working on the aircraft we got happy and thought SAA was starting up again. Then they told us it is just a once off to fetch the vaccine.

We have just started prepping one of our preserved aircraft. We have been told it is going to fetch the vaccines. When we all got told to start working on the aircraft we got happy and thought SAA was starting up again. Then they told us it is just a once off to fetch the vaccine.

Aaah man sorry it's only a once off.

Any news on what the status is with SAA? Was in contact with a guy I know last week.  He was one of the A340 pilots.  He took the severance package in August last year.  Man I feel sorry for all the folks working at SAA.