For the aviation fans

Lotus

Saw this on Facebook

Aircraft hit a large bird at Sishen, Kathu Northern Cape on landing, actually the prop. Carbon composite prop with a high strength resin internal structure. Like all composite structures...they don't like sudden hits.

No injuries

image.png.08c8af5fed8eb19bfd40ed587a1fa0d2.png

image.png.d40de144fd6c1d616b529f8aa0988de2.png

image.png.fa787f0a614eff5b93706de46a9f78c3.png
image.png.79c1aa4f7017baa7b46543fee0d1b556.png

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, ouzo said:

Saw this on Facebook

Aircraft hit a large bird at Sishen, Kathu Northern Cape on landing, actually the prop. Carbon composite prop with a high strength resin internal structure. Like all composite structures...they don't like sudden hits.

No injuries

Woah!!!!!Thats hectic!!

Ive seen some previous examples of how props get damaged as well as the damage it causes...

2 minutes ago, RoddieJ said:

Woah!!!!!Thats hectic!!

Ive seen some previous examples of how props get damaged as well as the damage it causes...

I surprised those seats are not brown

12 minutes ago, ouzo said:

I surprised those seats are not brown

Lol, it’s very likely the aircraft was chartered and there were no passengers on board at time of incident

Maybe it would make sense for the manufacturer to put a few layers of Kevlar on the fuselage in the target area? That seems like a dangerous row of seats. One might say this was a million to one chance, but it's happened now and it could be a Black Swan event.

18 hours ago, ouzo said:

Saw this on Facebook

No injuries

Makes mental note on seat selection for next airlink flight...🤔

15 hours ago, Lotus said:

Maybe it would make sense for the manufacturer to put a few layers of Kevlar on the fuselage in the target area? That seems like a dangerous row of seats. One might say this was a million to one chance, but it's happened now and it could be a Black Swan event.

Just about all aircraft with props mounted on the wings have a skin doubler mod. If you zoom in on the first picture you will see the fuselage has an extra layer right where the hole is. Clearly it didn't work at all. 

Useless info-jet engines have a similar mod called a fan containment mod. They have thicker layers in the cowling incase a fan blade let's go. I have seen those work very well(well not in person but pictures). 

On 1/5/2022 at 4:14 PM, RoddieJ said:

Lol, it’s very likely the aircraft was chartered and there were no passengers on board at time of incident

It was a charter. Apparently there were some pax on board but only a few. 

11 hours ago, Long Wheel Base said:

It was a charter. Apparently there were some pax on board but only a few. 

the poef smell in that fuselage is likely to linger then . . . 

Kathu then it was sure to be a charter flight.  There used to be a regular service with a Jetstream 41 of SA Airlink flying Jhb Upington and then on to Cape Town and returning the same way.  Flew the Jhb Upington flights a few years ago.  The return flight is also one of my more memorable flights I have experienced.  Short after take off from Upington, right about as we flew over the Sishen mine we flew into a thunderstorm of note.  Was a rather shaky flight all the way to Johannesburg.  Still had one of my new black co-workers with me.  It was his first plane trip. He was as white as a sheet for most of the flight.

12 hours ago, Long Wheel Base said:

Just about all aircraft with props mounted on the wings have a skin doubler mod. If you zoom in on the first picture you will see the fuselage has an extra layer right where the hole is. Clearly it didn't work at all. 

Useless info-jet engines have a similar mod called a fan containment mod. They have thicker layers in the cowling incase a fan blade let's go. I have seen those work very well(well not in person but pictures). 

Wasn't there an incident in the US not too long ago that a 737 had a catastrophic engine failure and debris penitrated the fuselage killing a person on board?

Then there is the famous Quantas A380 flight where nobody was injured but the amount of damage done to the aircraft was significant.

1 minute ago, Bateleur1 said:

Kathu then it was sure to be a charter flight.  There used to be a regular service with a Jetstream 41 of SA Airlink flying Jhb Upington and then on to Cape Town and returning the same way.  Flew the Jhb Upington flights a few years ago.  The return flight is also one of my more memorable flights I have experienced.  Short after take off from Upington, right about as we flew over the Sishen mine we flew into a thunderstorm of note.  Was a rather shaky flight all the way to Johannesburg.  Still had one of my new black co-workers with me.  It was his first plane trip. He was as white as a sheet for most of the flight.

I had a midnight flight from Kinshasa to Joburg a couple years back. We passed over Botswana around 3 a.m. and there was a massive thunderstorm off the port wing with lightning which was spectacular to watch. I vividly recall those massive towering clouds being lit up over the savannah, momentarily turning night into day. The rest of the passengers were all asleep and I just watched this show quietly passing by as we smoothly flew past. That was one of those moments that will always live on in my minds eye.

On 1/5/2022 at 1:54 PM, ouzo said:

Saw this on Facebook

No injuries

Wow….

So if I understand correctly a substantial piece of blade actually penetrated the cabin?

That must have been incredibly scary and very fortunate that no one was hurt.

The vibration from the rotating propeller must have been quite serious during the time it took the crew to shut down the engine.

4 minutes ago, Bateleur1 said:

What I fail to see in the original pic is where the blade penetrated from the outside

It is clearly visible between the 2nd and 3rd window, over the wing