Bike Hub Weight Challenge 2019

Joined F45 (functional training gym type of deal) late January. I dropped 2ish kg in the first week, but we're not allowed to weigh ourselves outside of schedule checkups. I have a feeling I've dropped around another 1-2kg as my pants are falling down. 

Hope it goes well at the next check in!

I had that problem this afternoon while picking up my lightie. Shorts were just on the edge, comfortable and sitting very nicely. Until I put my phone in my pocket.   :w00t:

• Replies 700
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I had that problem this afternoon while picking up my lightie. Shorts were just on the edge, comfortable and sitting very nicely. Until I put my phone in my pocket.   :w00t:

Don't lie Myles! I'm sure you were all to eager to show off that "New Me" body to the soccer moms at school..

Don't lie Myles! I'm sure you were all to eager to show off that "New Me" body to the soccer moms at school..

Not yet. Still got a set of sidemoobs.  :lol:

Edited by Captain Fatbastard Mayhem

Low GI (and GL) FTW :)

So in theory.. no eating carbs in the evening.. during your nights rest fat cells release fatty acids and glucose into bloodstream.. in the morning you get up, go for a fasting ride. Your muscles then uses the glucose released from fat cells during the night as energy for your ride.. And that is why morning fasting rides help so much with weight loss? I guess it makes sense. I used to ride with energade/powrade on my morning rides when I was still super unfit. I thought I needed it for energy to survive even a short 20km MTB ride. I didn't loose weight like that. My body probably then just used the new glucose from the energade/powerade I pumped in during my ride for energy instead of the reserves released during the night. Now I only take food or powerade with me if I'm planning to ride 3.5+ hours

Yeah, I think so. And how you refuel after a fasting period or ride is important as well. You don't want to overdo it with sugars and carbs, otherwise you negate all the benefits you gained.

Yeah, I think so. And how you refuel after a fasting period or ride is important as well. You don't want to overdo it with sugars and carbs, otherwise you negate all the benefits you gained.

Yuup.. usually  just a 250ml Futurelife shake for breakfast.. I see they call it now Clover Active Drink, not futurelife anymore.

Yuup.. usually  just a 250ml Futurelife shake for breakfast.. I see they call it now Clover Active Drink, not futurelife anymore.

Futurelife is my Achilles heel as far as dieting goes. It's just so convenient at work. 

For those on a LCHF diet, a new study has been released showing the effects it has on your gut microbiome (the high fat group in this study was still eating at much lower levels than typical Keto or LCHF dieters). 

Effects of dietary fat on gut microbiota and faecal metabolites, and their relationship with cardiometabolic risk factors: a 6-month randomised controlled-feeding trial

Abstract

Objective To investigate whether diets differing in fat content alter the gut microbiota and faecal metabolomic profiles, and to determine their relationship with cardiometabolic risk factors in healthy adults whose diet is in a transition from a traditional low-fat diet to a diet high in fat and reduced in carbohydrate.

Methods In a 6-month randomised controlled-feeding trial, 217 healthy young adults (aged 18–35 years; body mass index <28 kg/m2; 52% women) who completed the whole trial were included. All the foods were provided during the intervention period. The three isocaloric diets were: a lower-fat diet (fat 20% energy), a moderate-fat diet (fat 30% energy) and a higher-fat diet (fat 40% energy). The effects of the dietary interventions on the gut microbiota, faecal metabolomics and plasma inflammatory factors were investigated.

Results The lower-fat diet was associated with increased α-diversity assessed by the Shannon index (p=0.03), increased abundance of Blautia (p=0.007) and Faecalibacterium (p=0.04), whereas the higher-fat diet was associated with increased Alistipes (p=0.04), Bacteroides (p<0.001) and decreased Faecalibacterium (p=0.04). The concentration of total short-chain fatty acids was significantly decreased in the higher-fat diet group in comparison with the other groups (p<0.001). The cometabolites p-cresol and indole, known to be associated with host metabolic disorders, were decreased in the lower-fat diet group. In addition, the higher-fat diet was associated with faecal enrichment in arachidonic acid and the lipopolysaccharide biosynthesis pathway as well as elevated plasma proinflammatory factors after the intervention.

Conclusion Higher-fat consumption by healthy young adults whose diet is in a state of nutrition transition appeared to be associated with unfavourable changes in gut microbiota, faecal metabolomic profiles and plasma proinflammatory factors, which might confer adverse consequences for long-term health outcomes.

https://gut.bmj.com/content/early/2019/01/18/gutjnl-2018-317609

The above has nothing to do with Keto/LCHF. They are consuming carbs/grains (sugar) together with fat and proteins - a deadly combo. Note that this is not low carb, only "reduced in carbohydrates." Big difference. 

Edited by henningvr

The above has nothing to do with Keto/LCHF. They are consuming carbs/grains (sugar) together with fat and proteins - a deadly combo. Note that this is not low carb, only "reduced in carbohydrates." Big difference. 

Show me a randomized controlled trial that eating carbs together with fat and proteins is a "deadly combo". 

I've been doing a bit more research and found this article: https://www.muscleandstrength.com/articles/carbs-arent-making-you-fat

So even protein can cause an increase in insulin because it's required to get nutrients to muscles, etc., although not necessarily an increase in blood sugar because of Glucagon.

From another article I've learned that milk (especially whey protein) can also cause an insulin increase, so I'm going to try to rather mix my Futurelife with water. It may also help reduce my sinus issues and reduce acne.

what a crazy stressful week with work. But eating and training went okay.

down a few this week and the weekend still to go.

IF and limited carb intake working well. But the craving for junk food is very high... !!

On my way to another bachelors weekend. Beer, Biltong, Braai, Broodjies, Brandewyn diet AGAIN for the next three days.. Been training hard and keeping on my eating plan around 4 days a week trying to counter the cheat weekends these last three weeks, so I'll settle for breaking even this month. Checked this morning and I'm 92.1kg. 500 grams down from 1 Feb, but I doubt it will stay like that after this coming weekend. Actually to be honest I thought I was going to be back up to 94/95kg already with the way this month is going, so not too bummed about that!

Work colleague's birthday... cupcakes... rude not to eat ;)

Hope to get a cycle in over the weekend.

Edited by Jacquers