Road cyclist littering the cradle.

DuncanDoughnuts

I seriously don't get this. I guess it's down to each persons moral compass and by association, their upbringing that helped calibrate that compass.

Regardless of whether it's newbies or seasoned riders, as kids, didn't their parents teach them not to "throw **** out of the car window on a trip" or to "take their rubbish to the bin in the kitchen, not leave it on the floor in the lounge"???

I was taught both, and a lot more besides. Now it's me driving my own car, my parents aren't in the car watching me but I still wouldn't dream of throwing my rubbish out the window, or leaving a tube on the trail or at the side of the road.

Perhaps I sound a bit OTT - it's only a bit of rubbish after all, but for me it's a big deal. The thin end off the wedge. People that are able to leave their **** behind them and feel rocks, that have no respect for their environment etc etc are almost always likely to do a number of other more serious things too - because it's the way they run their lives.

OK - Rant over. It's time to ride, in beautiful Spanish countryside, and I will bring my rubbish home with me, as always! :-)

How did you deduce that it was the noobies littering ? IMHO that's a bit of an unfair comment. And no, I'm not a noobie. Couldn't have been caused by the super strava snakes who cant spare a second to wait to get past a person?? I mean these are people who are trained by special ops to fix punctures and replace tubes in a blink of an eye. Strikes me that as weight weenies they may not see the point of carrying a used tube?? This whilst a "noobie" spends half an hour with his /her bike upside down trying to fix the problem.

The message is not lost -  its unacceptable and in poor form to leave crap lying around anywhere, cradle or otherwise. Less pointing of fingers and more awareness to take your own stuff is probably whats required.

You're right.  I'm discriminating and you can't discriminate.  It applies to everyone, newbie or otherwise. 

... But I'm sure that's there a little correlation.    

Not to derail the thread, I have seen full takeaways in plastic bags being tossed out of car windows.  Disgusting.  

Pride in the country and in oneself is seriously lacking in this country.  

LOL pig dogs?? Trying to picture this

"Pig Dogs" is a phrase that used to be used in war comics back in the 70's.  

"Ha, now you will talk English Pig-Dog" for example. (ok that would be a German interrogator addressing a British prisoner of war and speaking English with a strong German accent)

:-)

Sorry to take this slightly OT but this thread reminded me of the time when my kids were very young.  On holiday in Kruger Park my son, who was probably four years old at the time, throws a sweet wrapper out the window.  Stopped the car and told him to get out and pick it up - and watch out for lions and snakes....he burst into tears but climbed out and picked it up....he never littered again....now he's nearly 30 years old and freaks out when people toss their crap on the floor.....

Lesson learnt..... 

Seems I polluted the cradle with my wallet on Sunday. A really nice and honest cyclist picked it up and returned it me. I was totally surprised and extremely happy especially the drivers license part.

Hi Everyone, 

100% agree to this, and I ride the MTB route lots as well, maybe to stop this can we not get some rubbish bins long the route, so we know that if we have a tube we can throw it away, and not leave it on the route.

So,!! how can we do this, maybe at the Bistro can we ask the owner to start a '''BIN fund''', so we can all contribute to this, we can then fasten the bin's to the road signs long the route.

Thoughts guys?????

It's our route so let's take responsibility for this problem!!!!

:clap:  :thumbup:

I don't often ride the cradle but this morning I stopped 3 times to pick up spent Road cycling tubes and Co2

bombs...

If you are one of the guilty riders who feels its ok ok to just toss your spent tubes and cartridges into the veld when you done fixing your punctures. shame on you. You have no respect for the area you are riding in. 

it always the few that give the majority a bBad rap.

disgusted

Flip, I had the some problem, lost my wife on route, someone pick her up and returned her to me, not happy as she comes with my open wallet, have to rethink the lost and found rules!!! :eek:   

Seems I polluted the cradle with my wallet on Sunday. A really nice and honest cyclist picked it up and returned it me. I was totally surprised and extremely happy especially the drivers license part.

I hold on to all my things I start a ride with, be they gels, farbar packages etc.

Peels on the other hand, Dêrren...nee wat, from dust to dust. I toss those.

Pigdogging is also used when referring to a surfer riding a barrel on his or her backhand, while grabbing the outside rail, squatting low and leaning back to avoid the falling lip. When done properly, it is very stylish.

How did you deduce that it was the noobies littering ? IMHO that's a bit of an unfair comment. And no, I'm not a noobie. Couldn't have been caused by the super strava snakes who cant spare a second to wait to get past a person?? I mean these are people who are trained by special ops to fix punctures and replace tubes in a blink of an eye. Strikes me that as weight weenies they may not see the point of carrying a used tube?? This whilst a "noobie" spends half an hour with his /her bike upside down trying to fix the problem.

The message is not lost -  its unacceptable and in poor form to leave crap lying around anywhere, cradle or otherwise. Less pointing of fingers and more awareness to take your own stuff is probably whats required.

I dont get people that litter, but I also dont get people who get so upset that somebody said it might be noobs. 

Its like people scour the internet looking for little slip ups to get offended by.

Hi Everyone, 

100% agree to this, and I ride the MTB route lots as well, maybe to stop this can we not get some rubbish bins long the route, so we know that if we have a tube we can throw it away, and not leave it on the route.

So,!! how can we do this, maybe at the Bistro can we ask the owner to start a '''BIN fund''', so we can all contribute to this, we can then fasten the bin's to the road signs long the route.

Thoughts guys?????

It's our route so let's take responsibility for this problem!!!!

:clap:  :thumbup:

I'm not sure providing bins is the solution, after all the culprits have bins at home, which they can dispose of their rubbish in, so why would they pocket the rubbish and stop at a bin on the Cradle?

Two more workable solutions:

1. Educate - through signs on the cradle, handouts, posters etc. Costs money, takes energy...

2. Clean up - the rubbish as part of keeping the cycleway clear of other debris, sand, bushes etc. Use of volunteers time. Couple of times a year etc. (I and others did a hedge clean-up last year, and I pocketed quite a few empty bombs and inners.)

I like option 2. It fights less entropy. Makes you feel good about doing something tangible. Less time around negative people.... 

I'm not sure providing bins is the solution, after all the culprits have bins at home, which they can dispose of their rubbish in, so why would they pocket the rubbish and stop at a bin on the Cradle?

Two more workable solutions:

1. Educate - through signs on the cradle, handouts, posters etc. Costs money, takes energy...

2. Clean up - the rubbish as part of keeping the cycleway clear of other debris, sand, bushes etc. Use of volunteers time. Couple of times a year etc. (I and others did a hedge clean-up last year, and I pocketed quite a few empty bombs and inners.)

I like option 2. It fights less entropy. Makes you feel good about doing something tangible. Less time around negative people.... 

Or people can start by just not being twats and littering in the first place.

You don't need a sign to know not to litter, even though I did run that as part of the Considerate Cycling campaign at one point.

The clean up thing works when we talk about it, but when you actually need people to come and help, they get busy very quickly. 

Also don't get it... similar to a smoker in their car throwing their ciggy butt out the window... I've thrown it back in the car a few times to try educate them...  but some cyclist are rather aggressive so stuffing it back in their pockets if you catch them in the act could be dangerous...

Or people can start by just not being twats and littering in the first place.

You don't need a sign to know not to litter, even though I did run that as part of the Considerate Cycling campaign at one point.

The clean up thing works when we talk about it, but when you actually need people to come and help, they get busy very quickly

They do...but one star fish etc (and not a rusty one either).

Also don't get it... similar to a smoker in their car throwing their ciggy butt out the window... I've thrown it back in the car a few times to try educate them...  but some cyclist are rather aggressive so stuffing it back in their pockets if you catch them in the act could be dangerous...

Do you think the aggression goes hand in hand with the "don't give a toss" attitude? I think it might do.

Archived