Positioning mtb cleats further back on shoe

Chris NewbyFraser

There appears to be an increasing body of anecdotal evidence which suggests that, by positioning a shoe cleat further back that has been the norm for the past 40 odd years, there are comfort and energy use improvements. I am going to give this a try. Has anybody given this a try yet?

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I know my brother in law in Switzerland was told to do this by his coach. He competes in Ironman events all over the show. He claims it made a difference.

There appears to be an increasing body of anecdotal evidence which suggests that, by positioning a shoe cleat further back that has been the norm for the past 40 odd years, there are comfort and energy use improvements. I am going to give this a try. Has anybody given this a try yet?

Been riding like this for years. I find standing and pedaling 'most uncomfortable to impossible' if the cleats are towards the front of the shoe. 

This makes very good reading and Steve seems to know what he is on about.

https://www.stevehoggbikefitting.com/bikefit/2011/04/power-to-the-pedal-cleat-position/

Just my 5c worth and Steve's many dollars worth!

I position the cleat on my MTB shoe right at the back. It feels right for me. Also I found that you need to adjust saddle height when changing cleat position. Moving it forward lets you extend your foot further so you need to increase saddle height slightly and vise versa..

I once tried this on the road bike with road cleats (shimano), drilled new holes in the middle of my shoe and rode like that for a while. The only thing I noticed is that you need to lower your seat a bit. Got used to it quickly, didn't seem to make much difference. Still need to pedal the bike.

Much better foot positioning and comfort when standing - less fatigue on the calves. Been riding like this for a long time.

Went for a ride last week with shoes I hadn't used in a while and positioned the cleats too far forward and ended up cramping quite a bit in my calves and feet, as well as numbness in my feet.

I think it's one of those things that are quite personal though...

I agree with the general comments here...

I have always had the cleats as far back as I could get them. If the shoes allowed, I would have loved to be able to move them further back; but unfortunately manufacturers don’t seem to agree with me

Question. My cleats are as far back as my inexpensive mtb shoes allow. Is there a way of putting them a cm or so further back withot destroying the shoe ? I have issues with pain in my toes on one foot after a few hours riding.

Putting the cleats back seemed to help. Would like a cm or so more.

Edited by Blokman

Question. My cleats are as far back as my inexpensive mtb shoes allow. Is there a way of putting them a cm or so further back withot destroying the shoe ? I have issues with pain in my toes on one foot after a few hours riding.

Putting the cleats back seemed to help. Would like a cm or so more.

Without drilling the shoes, or making some funky bracket thingy... No

The ball of your foot should be in front of the pedal axle. That way your foot is more stabilized over the pedal, and the rotation around the axle won't nudge you forward, i.e. improve heels down technique, and less pitching over the bar. 

For pedaling efficiency, just adjust fore and aft of the saddle if it feels off. 

there is 1 company in the world that commercially makes mid sole cleat mounting shoes (marketing mostly to triathletes)...

all the others all the pros etc use the approved standard forward mounting method ....

did any of you guys shove your cleats all the way back and then go to get a bike refit ?

because when you fiddle with your cleats and move your saddle around (till its comfy)

99% sure you are no longer correctly and efficiently fitted to your bike anymore so long term you are now riding energy inefficiently and possibly setting up an injury longterm.

cycling shoes evolved from the days when they where wood undersoles and you nailed the cleats on with a hammer .. to the very high tech equipe we have today - the cleat limits are a proven system if it worked better in the middle they would fit them there .

I moved cleats way back to eliminate 'hotfoot" on longer rides. Intention was to gradually move them forward again to find the sweet spot but ended up leaving them all the way back. Been riding like this for a year now.

There was some studies / theories more than ten years ago that suggested the torque curve (peanut on wattbike) was flatter as you pedaled with cleats in this position. This resulted in less fatigue (somehow) and you would have more power at the end of the race if you tried it. However, it was acknowledged the sprinting would be worse as the calf muscles do not work as hard with the cleats mid shoe. There were a couple of photos of pros riding like this, but not big names.

I tried it in one race (after training like that for a few weeks) and it didn't make any difference. Not noticeable anyway, but it wasn't worse.

Since then I always put my cleats as far back as possible as the normal shoe allows on both road and MTB, more of a superstition really. Did not drill any more holes in shoes.

Without drilling the shoes, or making some funky bracket thingy... No

I have a drill and a verrry old pair of Olympics .......

Edited by Blokman

There was some studies / theories more than ten years ago that suggested the torque curve (peanut on wattbike) was flatter as you pedaled with cleats in this position. This resulted in less fatigue (somehow) and you would have more power at the end of the race if you tried it. However, it was acknowledged the sprinting would be worse as the calf muscles do not work as hard with the cleats mid shoe. There were a couple of photos of pros riding like this, but not big names.

I tried it in one race (after training like that for a few weeks) and it didn't make any difference. Not noticeable anyway, but it wasn't worse.

Since then I always put my cleats as far back as possible as the normal shoe allows on both road and MTB, more of a superstition really. Did not drill any more holes in shoes.

Yeah... I read a few articles about this as well.

Far back cleats eliminates the twitch muscle flick at the top and bottom of the stroke, making it a more even effort over a long period of time.

I have 2 sets of shoes. 1 with my cleat forward for XCO and racing, one with the cleat far back for trail riding and Adventure racing.

There is definitely merit in doing it but as with anything in the sport, it is dependent on what sort of riding you do and what level you are riding.

There is no right or wrong answer