Enduro/gravity bike suspension and geo

Headshot

First things first .... congrats on the bike.

Now to make your life simple, can you not just get the Ribbons lowers in a 42-44mm offset?

If so, I am sure it could save you a wad of cash that can be spent on a good couple of beers?

Thanks, very keen to get a leg over, hopefully the couriers play alond deliver tomorrow!

Aha.... I hadn't even thought of that option, would be the cheapest by a LONG shot. Thanks for the inspiration :)

The Ribbon comes in a 46mm offset as far as I know, so 5mm difference from mine.

Edited by Grease_Monkey

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

you know all you need to is get Mr Mercer to slap a custom frame together for you ;)

They are basically just 3 tattoo'd weirdo's who make some pretty weird and wonderful bikes!

I am on the look out for a proper fun to ride Trail bike. 

Everything these days is too slack and a tank.

The Marin Rift Zone looks nice, but our trails aren't steep enough for any of this crazy long and slack stuff.

If we had parks with uplift I would have bought one of those FR frames from Sick months ago!

As it stands an affordable trail bike with decent reach and pedalable numbers seems to be missing.

The Marin rift zone comes in at 14kg less pedals.

If any of you have any decent suggestions for a really fun, pedallable trail bike that isn't a western Australian road train I'm all ears!

you know all you need to is get Mr Mercer to slap a custom frame together for you ;)

hahahahaha Sjoe.... I think his dual sussers go for about 40k?

I may in the future do a coil conversion on my Ribbon, but would want to ride one extensively before doing it - coz once it's done there is no going back!

And before I would conver to coil in the front I would do coil on the back. But once again, am very happy with air, so I would wanna test a coil out lots before even thinking of it.

Just keep in mind the Tranny on the rear is super progressive. So much so that I removed all the volume spacers which were in the air can to tame it down a bit and now rides really well...However...I was running a coil shock on the Spitfire and man o man...What I wouldn't do to have a coil shock on the Patrol!

Just keep in mind the Tranny on the rear is super progressive. So much so that I removed all the volume spacers which were in the air can to tame it down a bit and now rides really well...However...I was running a coil shock on the Spitfire and man o man...What I wouldn't do to have a coil shock on the Patrol!

Good to hear! I'm heavy and like a decent amount of sag, so I need progressive! Which is also great for coil :D

Thought you were #Hardtail4Life 

Then there is also Calculus Bikes that can weld together a custom Ti Duallie for you at 45K, or a Ti HT at 35K .... 

hahahahaha Sjoe.... I think his dual sussers go for about 40k?

Thought you were #Hardtail4Life 

Then there is also Calculus Bikes that can weld together a custom Ti Duallie for you at 45K, or a Ti HT at 35K .... 

I was.... with the family dynamic changing, I have decided a fun bike with a parachute for when I run out of skill as well as feeling less beaten up after a big trail day would be the right way to go.

I can Land a Kingdom Vendetta Ti 29 for about 45k, but..... Do I really want to spend that on what I honestly believe is NOT the right bike for where we live?

I want something that screams fun. Anything slacker than 66 or 66.5 degrees is overkill for us. A big wheelbase means stable at speed but it becomes a sled. I want to feel like it's as excited to climb as it is banging over drops and gaps....

A Stumpy ST, Marin Rift Zone type bike... That Evil would have been perfect but I was too slow pulling the trigger.

I dunno... I'm scared of having buyers remorse..... again!

I was.... with the family dynamic changing, I have decided a fun bike with a parachute for when I run out of skill as well as feeling less beaten up after a big trail day would be the right way to go.

I can Land a Kingdom Vendetta Ti 29 for about 45k, but..... Do I really want to spend that on what I honestly believe is NOT the right bike for where we live?

I want something that screams fun. Anything slacker than 66 or 66.5 degrees is overkill for us. A big wheelbase means stable at speed but it becomes a sled. I want to feel like it's as excited to climb as it is banging over drops and gaps....

A Stumpy ST, Marin Rift Zone type bike... That Evil would have been perfect but I was too slow pulling the trigger.

I dunno... I'm scared of having buyers remorse..... again!

Just saying...

https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/2504418/

Thanks, very keen to get a leg over, hopefully the couriers play alond deliver tomorrow!

Aha.... I hadn't even thought of that option, would be the cheapest by a LONG shot. Thanks for the inspiration :)

The Ribbon comes in a 46mm offset as far as I know, so 5mm difference from mine.

My Ripmo should be a 44 offset but I could only get a 46 on the MRP Coil so I've just gone with that. 

Funnily, this was the response I got from Guerrilla Gravity when I asked them about fork offset for their carbon Smash: 

"1. The Fox 36 uses the short 44mm offset, and the forks from Rock Shox will use a standard 51mm offset. We've extensively tested both and we don't think it is a noticeable difference but we recognize that some people like to geek out on those details so we have both available but for most people 'Meh'." 

My Ripmo should be a 44 offset but I could only get a 46 on the MRP Coil so I've just gone with that.

Funnily, this was the response I got from Guerrilla Gravity when I asked them about fork offset for their carbon Smash:

"1. The Fox 36 uses the short 44mm offset, and the forks from Rock Shox will use a standard 51mm offset. We've extensively tested both and we don't think it is a noticeable difference but we recognize that some people like to geek out on those details so we have both available but for most people 'Meh'."

But for most people 'meh'

Love that response!

Mike Levy from Pinkbike swopped to and from a 51mm and 44mm offset Fox 36 while testing the Sentinel and basically came to the conclusion that although you can feel an immediate difference, the bike rides fine with either, you just have to adapt how you ride it.

Anyway, I am not gonna lose any sleep over fork offset, but when the time comes for a new one I will be going for a shorter offset- might as well.

Strange on bikes how with some parts you cannot feel a 20mm difference, but others you can feel half a degree or 5mm difference! In my experience anyway.

The Grease Monkey geeks out. HARD.

Sometimes I think that he and Myles went to the same bike school.

I LOVE THAT!!!! Bahahahahahaha!!!

But for most people 'meh'

Love that response!

Mike Levy from Pinkbike swopped to and from a 51mm and 44mm offset Fox 36 while testing the Sentinel and basically came to the conclusion that although you can feel an immediate difference, the bike rides fine with either, you just have to adapt how you ride it.

Anyway, I am not gonna lose any sleep over fork offset, but when the time comes for a new one I will be going for a shorter offset- might as well.

Strange on bikes how with some parts you cannot feel a 20mm difference, but others you can feel half a degree or 5mm difference! In my experience anyway.

To be honest at the moment there are so many shorter offset forks floating about and going cheap because they are only really applicable to a tiny amount of current frames. I only got the 46 offset MRP cos it was a steal and the guy couldn't shift it (not because I'm a hard charger who need that kind of thing). I prolly would have happily stayed with my trusty pike with it's 51 offset if the guy wasn't desperate to get rid of it. 

To be honest at the moment there are so many shorter offset forks floating about and going cheap because they are only really applicable to a tiny amount of current frames. I only got the 46 offset MRP cos it was a steal and the guy couldn't shift it (not because I'm a hard charger who need that kind of thing). I prolly would have happily stayed with my trusty pike with it's 51 offset if the guy wasn't desperate to get rid of it. 

Truth is, they're applicable to ANY frame. It's just the #marketing and those who think that it HAS to come with their SBG whatever giddyup nonsense.