Enduro/gravity bike suspension and geo

Headshot

I have some heavy duty Novatec hubs coming with the order - I hope...

CRC sent three items on 4/9/19 then sent item 4 - the second rim, on 5/9/19. I paid about R100 handling for this second package (not that i realized there were 2 at this stage) It arrived before the first package because it was lower value I think, so SARS didn't get excited. The First package is somewhere in a truck I suspect. I paid about R450 vat and handling for the package I have yet to receive. I suspect it will be in my office tomorrow morning...

Oh, and the Novatecs were around R1000 for both, if that.

#crcblunders

Edited by Headshot

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have some heavy duty Novatec hubs coming with the order - I hope...

CRC sent three items on 4/9/19 then sent item 4 - the second rim, on 5/9/19. I paid about R100 handling for this second package (not that i realized there were 2 at this stage) It arrived before the first package because it was lower value I think, so SARS didn't get excited. The First package is somewhere in a truck I suspect. I paid about R450 vat and handling for the package I have yet to receive. I suspect it will be in my office tomorrow morning...

Oh, and the Novatecs were around R1000 for both, if that.

#crcblunders

as long as you get rolling soon tchjina

Another large box arrived today with very little in it. A rim and two hubs. Hubs look and feel great. The engagement on the freewheel seems quick and I suspect it will sound like a fishing reel with a Tuna running against the drag when its got a cassette on it. Now spokes and a build....

Another large box arrived today with very little in it. A rim and two hubs. Hubs look and feel great. The engagement on the freewheel seems quick and I suspect it will sound like a fishing reel with a Tuna running against the drag when its got a cassette on it. Now spokes and a build....

Yeeeow!

New shinies are always exciting!

Yeeeow!

New shinies are always exciting!

Yes, except that CRC have fooked me over rather. The rear hub they advertised as a 148  is in fact a 142 and therefore useless to me. The packaging and invoices all show it as a 12x148 hub but it arrived as a 142 and their website now lists it as a 142. I suspect they have a lot of unhappy customers right now. Feeling so disappointed. 

Yes, except that CRC have fooked me over rather. The rear hub they advertised as a 148  is in fact a 142 and therefore useless to me. The packaging and invoices all show it as a 12x148 hub but it arrived as a 142 and their website now lists it as a 142. I suspect they have a lot of unhappy customers right now. Feeling so disappointed. 

Sad Panda!

Send it back or sell it and buy these.... https://www.bikehub.co.za/classifieds/380680-brand-new-ecc-hubs/

Waiting to see what CRC are going to do about their stuff up...

Well CRC cannot help me - other than sending me a 10 Pound voucher and letting me keep the hub. Anyone need a brand new 142 x12 hub?

I had an issue with a pair of 510's a couple years back. CRC sent me a new pair at no charge, and I got to choose what pair I wanted.

Hey boys, I'm looking at the Canyon Strive as I might go to europe next week and the 2019 are on sale.... but I'm struggling at choosing between the 6.0 and 7.0... Sorry my post goes a little bit beyond just suspensions&geometry, even though suspensions is the big question here

The 6.0 is right in my budget but has :

- full rockshox suspensions (Super Deluxe RCT / Lyrix RC)

- Sram GX 12sp drivetrain

- guide R brakes

whereas the 7.0 has :

- full fox suspensions (FLOAT DPX2 Performance Elite / 36 Performance Elite)

- Shimano XT drivetrain (1x11)

- shimano XT brakes (8020)

I read quite a lot of bad stuff regarding the guide R brakes, I've always ridden shimano XT components (I currently have that same 1x11 drivetrain on my XC/Marathon bike and I love it, just not sure about the value in a few years as everyone seems to be looking for 12spd already) so I'm not too sure if the extra 500€ for the 7.0 are really worth spending or not...

I also read more good on the Fox than on the Rockshox components, except for the maintenance intervals&parts.

I'm obviously not a great enduro rider, I'm looking at starting riding more enduro than XC and hopefully start racing next year. I don't want to invest that much money in a bike and end up changing in 6-12 months from now because I'm not happy with the brakes or the suspension...

The bikes come at 2700€ (R44k) for the 6.0 and 3200€ for the 7.0 (R52k) which seems far better than what I can get here for that price. I'll obviously ride the bike there before I bring it here and hope for the best when I walk through customs. I'm not too worried about their shapeshifter system, I'm sure Stoke can maintain it  :ph34r:

Edited by Jbr

Hey boys, I'm looking at the Canyon Strive as I might go to europe next week and the 2019 are on sale.... but I'm struggling at choosing between the 6.0 and 7.0... Sorry my post goes a little bit beyond just suspensions&geometry, even though suspensions is the big question here

The 6.0 is right in my budget but has :

- full rockshox suspensions (Super Deluxe RCT / Lyrix RC)

- Sram GX 12sp drivetrain

- guide R brakes

whereas the 7.0 has :

- full fox suspensions (FLOAT DPX2 Performance Elite / 36 Performance Elite)

- Shimano XT drivetrain (1x11)

- shimano XT brakes (8020)

I read quite a lot of bad stuff regarding the guide R brakes, I've always ridden shimano XT components (I currently have that same 1x11 drivetrain on my XC/Marathon bike and I love it, just not sure about the value in a few years as everyone seems to be looking for 12spd already) so I'm not too sure if the extra 500€ for the 7.0 are really worth spending or not...

I also read more good on the Fox than on the Rockshox components, except for the maintenance intervals&parts.

I'm obviously not a great enduro rider, I'm looking at starting riding more enduro than XC and hopefully start racing next year. I don't want to invest that much money in a bike and end up changing in 6-12 months from now because I'm not happy with the brakes or the suspension...

The bikes come at 2700€ (R44k) for the 6.0 and 3200€ for the 7.0 (R52k) which seems far better than what I can get here for that price. I'll obviously ride the bike there before I bring it here and hope for the best when I walk through customs. I'm not too worried about their shapeshifter system, I'm sure Stoke can maintain it  :ph34r:

Whats your riding style like? Do you like to whip it etc........

Check their disclaimer at the bottom of the page about the bike category and what you can do.

Whats your riding style like? Do you like to whip it etc........

Check their disclaimer at the bottom of the page about the bike category and what you can do.

I assume you are suggesting I should probably look more at the spectral than the strive for my current use/level ? The issue is the same, the one matching my budget (7.0) also has the rockshock (lower spec)/sram components, and the spectral 8.0 is way too pricey and has the same Rockshock components as the Strive 7.0.

Plus I'm looking at getting a 2nd bike and too keep my marathon bike so I believe a full on enduro bike is a better choice. If I wanted to sell my marathon bike I could replace it with the spectral, but that's not what I want to do.

I'm only asking if the price difference is worth it between the strive 6.0 and 7.0 if you are not a pro enduro racer, but still looking at getting "seriously" into it.

Edited by Jbr