Enduro/gravity bike suspension and geo

Headshot

25 minutes ago, Steven Knoetze (sk27) said:

You jest, I had considered trying just that. The stuff doesn't extend to the end of the bars but you can see the green foam if you shine a torch in. It looks just like that Sista foam shite. 

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Headshot said:

You jest, I had considered trying just that. The stuff doesn't extend to the end of the bars but you can see the green foam if you shine a torch in. It looks just like that Sista foam shite. 

I am sure there is a real chemical composition difference, the same way you will not run a pool noodle successfully vs a proper tyre insert.

16 hours ago, Headshot said:

True, and why stop there, fill your frame for more effect.......

15 hours ago, Hairy said:

I am sure there is a real chemical composition difference, the same way you will not run a pool noodle successfully vs a proper tyre insert.

Duh, you use the insulation around refrigeration piping obviously. More density........

1 hour ago, Steven Knoetze (sk27) said:

True, and why stop there, fill your frame for more effect.......

Duh, you use the insulation around refrigeration piping obviously. More density........

Insulation tape is so ghetto .... gorilla tape is where it is at.

44 minutes ago, Steven Knoetze (sk27) said:

th?id=OIP.wpCKbwEZTqKY_P6naFO8XQHaEP&pid=Api&P=0

Was referring to this stuff

Got you, know that well enough ... climbed into enough roof spaces to inspect works and found more than enough insulation NOT fitted after the contractors have been paid to fit it ... or they only do small parts of the piping ... but you referred to insulation tape, and my jest was to upgrade that to Gorilla tape.

Well along with my internally insulated bars I got some Nukeproof tyre inserts. So I am filling as much as possible with foam. Frame is a good idea actually - then after filling you pull oyut the cables and you have internal frame tubes for when they need replacement. Wow - uses are endless.

I'm not aware of a Thread on this yet.. If I missed It, appologies in advance. Does anyone have any more information on the stages? 

https://www.entryninja.com/events/78086-western-cape-enduro

Western Cape Enduro hosted at Jonkershoek

Sun 25 Sep 2022, 07:00 @ Stellenbosch, Western Cape

Race Information:

• Full Race - 5 stages  25km
  • Lite Race - 3 stages 17km

I'm very excited to get the opportunity to do a race as I couldn't attend Witfontein this year. However, 5 stages.. One month of training to go, Im not exactly going to be fighting fit.. Even If I manage to get a couple of big rides in, I think I'd be at my limit If I had to pedal up to Red Phoenix twice, at the moment not to mention, two of those + saaltjie x2 (pretty much) and on top of that, another stage, which the only other option is Firehut. Is it just me or is that beyond 80% of riders looking to partake? 

Unless they break the trails up in shorter stages, but I'm not sure they would want to do that. 

4 minutes ago, Bos said:

I'm not aware of a Thread on this yet.. If I missed It, appologies in advance. Does anyone have any more information on the stages? 

Race Information:

I'm very excited to get the opportunity to do a race as I couldn't attend Witfontein this year. However, 5 stages.. One month of training to go, Im not exactly going to be fighting fit.. Even If I manage to get a couple of big rides in, I think I'd be at my limit If I had to pedal up to Red Phoenix twice, at the moment not to mention, two of those + saaltjie x2 (pretty much) and on top of that, another stage, which the only other option is Firehut. Is it just me or is that beyond 80% of riders looking to partake? 

Unless they break the trails up in shorter stages, but I'm not sure they would want to do that. 

Yolo...

I rode Jonkershoek today! Started cramping only did Armageddon 6 down and full Red Phoenix.

Last i rode was Witfontein and today was my first ride after a chest infection.

If it's not hot on race day and atleast 2 rides a week till the big show i reckon it'll be manageable.

I missed all the previous Jonkershoek Enduros either being sick or not in town... Hoping the stars align for this one

IMG_20220820_103504.jpg

So I found the actual thread Meezo.

Have you entered?

Ya Jonkers is a bit more Physical than Witfontein. You have to be prepared for that thing. It will eat you alive. By the bottom of most trails I have armpump and struggling. Its full on stealth squad training from now on, and you'll still be losing 2-3 minutes to the "pro's" down Armageddon.  

3 minutes ago, Bos said:

So I found the actual thread Meezo.

Have you entered?

Ya Jonkers is a bit more Physical than Witfontein. You have to be prepared for that thing. It will eat you alive. By the bottom of most trails I have armpump and struggling. Its full on stealth squad training from now on, and you'll still be losing 2-3 minutes to the "pro's" down Armageddon.  

Entered!

In other words training started today 🥴😂

Edited by Meezo

On 8/18/2022 at 11:54 AM, Headshot said:

I think your answer lies on the Spank website - they even do it to some rims they sell. I can't feel the foam when riding 🙂 

Is the foam not just part of the production process? My road bikes rims are EPS blanks laminated with HM carbon. The EPS adds toughness and vibration damping. The ride quality is silky

38 minutes ago, Bos said:

Race Information:

Not to divulge too much info but the stages won’t be full runs from the top as they will be broken up. We went there today to map it all out but all the rain there put a stop to some of it as we don’t want to damage the trails. A trail map and course preview videos will come out soon. 

we know that 5 full stages at jonkers is death to most people so we trying to have the stages long enough to keep it fun but not kill the avg guy on the climbs. 

1 hour ago, ChristiaanSt said:

Not to divulge too much info but the stages won’t be full runs from the top as they will be broken up. We went there today to map it all out but all the rain there put a stop to some of it as we don’t want to damage the trails. A trail map and course preview videos will come out soon. 

we know that 5 full stages at jonkers is death to most people so we trying to have the stages long enough to keep it fun but not kill the avg guy on the climbs. 

Good news 👏 

Thanks for that. To be honnest, Very vew guys can actually "race" even 4 full stages in Jonkers. But I'd be keen for this. Although my favorite part of pretty much all of the trails are the top halfs.

On 8/20/2022 at 6:02 PM, Meezo said:

Entered!

In other words training started today 🥴😂

Entered as well. Wonder which stages we will be hitting, probably sections of all of them, Unless we hit the DH track, which is looking pretty sick after some work recently. Its actually cool not knowing the stages, It evens it out a bit, like Witfontein, only a handfull of locals gets to ride the trails beforehand, the rest of us ride blind on the day. 

Bike is running sweet right now, the Mezzer is sick. It took quite a while to get it set up right. A fork is only as good as its set up, and that's the reason I got it, because everything is tunable on there. 

Running 30mm sag but only used 120 out of 160mm last night and Its making bumps disappear. I use full travel on "proper trails" but It doesn't give it up to easily. LSC+HSC without harshness. I've always been overdamped on forks which are aimed at 75kg - 90kg riders. I'm seriously excited, and chuffed I was able to get to this point with it. 

The only think I need to sort out before the race is my ghost shifting, which almost had me over the bars on the little double line on Iron Monkey the other day, And perhaps fine tune the tires.. Nox111 gave me a Fomo insert, which I may use for the rear, but at lower pressures the sidewall is actually to flexable to push through berms without burping anyway. Even the EXO+ I have in front is notably more stable at lower speeds and doesn't squirm much, although I've only used it in the rear. I may just get a new DHF for the front and run the old EXO+ on the rear, I've noticed a lot of guys doing that on Insta.

Pitty they don't make the Agressor in EXO+ and softer compound as its not a bad tire. Ive got 1500km on mine at the moment, and its doing an OK job..

5 minutes ago, Bos said:

Entered as well. Wonder which stages we will be hitting, probably sections of all of them, Unless we hit the DH track, which is looking pretty sick after some work recently. Its actually cool not knowing the stages, It evens it out a bit, like Witfontein, only a handfull of locals gets to ride the trails beforehand, the rest of us ride blind on the day. 

Bike is running sweet right now, the Mezzer is sick. It took quite a while to get it set up right. A fork is only as good as its set up, and that's the reason I got it, because everything is tunable on there. 

Running 30mm sag but only used 120 out of 160mm last night and Its making bumps disappear. I use full travel on "proper trails" but It doesn't give it up to easily. LSC+HSC without harshness. I've always been overdamped on forks which are aimed at 75kg - 90kg riders. I'm seriously excited, and chuffed I was able to get to this point with it. 

The only think I need to sort out before the race is my ghost shifting, which almost had me over the bars on the little double line on Iron Monkey the other day, And perhaps fine tune the tires.. Nox111 gave me a Fomo insert, which I may use for the rear, but at lower pressures the sidewall is actually to flexable to push through berms without burping anyway. Even the EXO+ I have in front is notably more stable at lower speeds and doesn't squirm much, although I've only used it in the rear. I may just get a new DHF for the front and run the old EXO+ on the rear, I've noticed a lot of guys doing that on Insta.

Pitty they don't make the Agressor in EXO+ and softer compound as its not a bad tire. Ive got 1500km on mine at the moment, and its doing an OK job..

good luck with them

i see there's been some action on the plumber entry this weekend... seen on instagram

i haven't ridden plumber since after the fires, and the step up was my biggest fear riding there.
i don't ride iron monkey enough but wandered down there alone the other day "blind" also need to come to terms with those drops... again if they faster/smoother on race run i guess...