Garmin fenix 5

jesica

Good day all

what do you all think about the Garmin Fenix 5

Is it good for cycling also

can I connect a wattmeter on it

regards

You can use the Fenix for cycling and pair a power meter. I love my Fenix.

Metrics however will be on the face of the watch so you won't be able to keep your eyes on the road/trail if you take a quick glance. Unless you get a watch bar mount but then you will need to wear a chest HR strap.

Hi Guys and Gals,

I have just buried my Polar V800. I enjoyed the watch idea, but I'm also not sold on the new Polar Vantage. So I'm thinking of the Garmin Fenix 5.. I like to use a cadence when on the road bike, can this piece connect to a cadence sensor.? I also like to mount the watch on the handle bars, so can this piece connect to a chest strap.?

Hoping for your expert opinions :-)

Thanks in advance

T-Bag 

Hi Guys and Gals,

I have just buried my Polar V800. I enjoyed the watch idea, but I'm also not sold on the new Polar Vantage. So I'm thinking of the Garmin Fenix 5.. I like to use a cadence when on the road bike, can this piece connect to a cadence sensor.? I also like to mount the watch on the handle bars, so can this piece connect to a chest strap.?

Hoping for your expert opinions :-)

Thanks in advance

T-Bag 

I have a fenix 3hr and I can connect both speed and cadence sensor. I'm sure the 5 will also do the same. you just have to pair the relevant sensors with the watch :thumbup:

Yup, 

You get the bar mount, Speed and cadence sensor as well as the chest strap. 

The fenix units are more than just sports trackers 

Hi T-Bag,

I made the switch from a Polar V800 to a Garmin Fenix 5x. I'm relatively happy with my choice however the newest Garmin's can store/play music (used when running on treadmill).

So far I have only lost one ride on my Garmin due to an update. My Polar was rock solid.

Hi T-Bag,

I made the switch from a Polar V800 to a Garmin Fenix 5x. I'm relatively happy with my choice however the newest Garmin's can store/play music (used when running on treadmill).

So far I have only lost one ride on my Garmin due to an update. My Polar was rock solid.

Thanks for the reply, so I'm gathering what your saying is, if the music option is important, go for the Plus..? and you was very happy with your Polar ( as was I) but this is a great replacement. 

Thanks for your time :-) 

So I would like to thank you for your replies :-) :thumbup:

you have pretty much answered my questions, and it defiantly sounds like a good replacement.

Thanks guys  :clap: as there is a good deal going on with takealot. If I look at the Plus model, the price climbs quicker than I could ever wish for on the trails. With a budget of 8K this looks like a good option with your comments.

Thanks again 

If you want to get a slightly cheaper option you could look at the Forerunner 935. Basically the same internals just with a plastic body rather than a metal one so its lighter. It can also connect to speed, cadence, power and heart rate sensors.

I think the only things it doesn't have that the Fenix does are maps.

If you want to get a slightly cheaper option you could look at the Forerunner 935. Basically the same internals just with a plastic body rather than a metal one so its lighter. It can also connect to speed, cadence, power and heart rate sensors.

I think the only things it doesn't have that the Fenix does are maps.

That's very ambiguous. Specifically, the fenix 5x, 5s plus, 5 plus, 5x plus have maps. The rest of the fenix's do not have full maps.

Edited by Dirkitech

That's very ambiguous. Specifically, the fenix 5x, 5s plus, 5 plus, 5x plus have maps. The rest of the fenix's do not have full maps.

Fair point, but T-Bag's posts are also fairly vague about which Fenix 5 was being considered, so I made a general statement.