[Event] Fine Breede MTB

BreedeMTB2019

Did the 30km last year and there are quite a few single track sections. Can also vouch for the difficulty factor on the 30km, it's pretty hard for that distance.

I'm very unfit at the moment aswell but I'm also a sucker for pain so planning on giving the 60km a go this year if all goes well.

did the 30km a few years ago.(first real african mtb event)...was considering it again for this year but will be away...

but...its tough and but if you like climbing and have the skills its a great morning out...next year i will give it a go again...

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

not ideal but an option to consider, I’m certain there was an kiddies drop off zone for a small fee not sure if they still do that. They have activities for the kids to keep them entertained until you return or for however long they want to play there.

Eish... Can just imagine which option I would pick if I was his son. Mtb'ing with my dad or being stuck on a warm jumping castle for hours with kids I don't know...

Thanks for the suggestion Milky, but much like Skubarra says, this little guy has been nagging me for months, "wanneer begin die races weer?", so leaving him behind while I go ride will mean a veeeery k@k old age home one day......

Have you considered the 17km route ?

If Maritz joins me I may well try this, with sweets for 2 to 3 stops along the way .... put the bikes down, walk about for a few minutes, and they are recharged for the next 6km stint .... he may well walk that last sandy bit ....

Our typical day at the trails now add up to 15km, with good breaks in between the sections .... previous ride he even added a steep climb at the 14km mark.

Hadn't considered it, Juan's biggest ride to date has been about 8km's but I think he might make it if we take it easy.

Going to get him a padded cycling short and try a bigger ride this coming weekend and see how it goes.

did the 30km a few years ago.(first real african mtb event)...was considering it again for this year but will be away...

but...its tough and but if you like climbing and have the skills its a great morning out...next year i will give it a go again...

You going to be on the other side of the pond again Dave?

You must give the 30km a go some day, it truly is an propper mtb event, the amount of elevation and level of technicality makes it one to be reckoned with.

Yup, the 30km is one tough bugger. Did it a few years ago on my 26er. Did a nice OTB on the top over some rocky stuff.

On the first rocky climb there was a sign that said 'You were warned!'. Lots of witty signs along the route.

Best atmosphere after the race with lots of prizes and lucky draws.

Uhm jaaaaa ....

Need to check with Maritz's parents .... IF he rides, it will be the 5km

Last year he did not join me, and I did the 18km (which I see is now a 17km). Cut the hydraulic break line when I moved the RaceTech board ... dont ask ... :whistling: :wacko: Drove to Worcester and had the bike fixed at King Cycles, then completed the 18 km in 59 minutes and 56 seconds :w00t: [emoji106] Really want to give that route another go without the extra "fun" ....

Friend did some 7 000km last year, and rode the 30km route at this event last year .... certainly tougher than most other 30km events !! :whistling:

Had to laugh at the prize giving though .... the organisers\sponsors seriously needs to rethink their approach. 18 km had 11 year olds on the podium, the "tough" 30km was podiumed by 16 year olds ..... the wine had to be removed from the gift packs, should have seen the kids faces fall when they looked into the almost empty gift packs ... :eek: ^_^ :oops:

You missed me by a week then, I stopped working at Kings Cycle the previous Saturday, a week before the event last year.

This event last year was my first free Saturday after leaving Kings. Couldn't think of a better way to spend my first Saturday of in over 2years than doing an event and enjoying the vibe afterwards with my family. 80d9fd73582eefa3585c5841e2718c8e.jpg

Hadn't considered it, Juan's biggest ride to date has been about 8km's but I think he might make it if we take it easy.

Going to get him a padded cycling short and try a bigger ride this coming weekend and see how it goes.

BEST buy you can do !!!

Anatomic has a nice range for the kids - http://weardirect.co.za/shop/kiddies-cycling/kiddies-cycling-shorts/

Sure I can pick up a pair at their Durbanville shop and bring it to the Fine Breede for you ....

You missed me by a week then, I stopped working at Kings Cycle the previous Saturday, a week before the event last year.

This event last year was my first free Saturday after leaving Kings. Couldn't think of a better way to spend my first Saturday of in over 2years than doing an event and enjoying the vibe afterwards with my family. 80d9fd73582eefa3585c5841e2718c8e.jpg

What a day it was !!!

Got that infernal massive RaceTech board during the registration process.  Cable tied it, and proceeded to the start line .... As I turned in the parking lot I realised the board was jamming the cables when turning .... back to the car, take off the old cable ties, and reposition the board .... easy ..... yeah right !!!

I could not find the cutters, and took the knife to cut off the cable tie AND cut the hydraulic hose !!  :eek:

Obviously the bike stand could not assist ....

And so we drive off to Worcester.  I tried at Manic, but it was skeleton staff on duty.  They refered me to TREK in Worcester, where I was helped by the only school kid in town not attending the Fine Breede ... at least this kid managed to point me to King Cycles.

Even before I got out the car, one of the gents was outside asking how they could assist.  :w00t:   :thumbup:   I showed him the cable, he smiled and indicated they can assist .... but it would take 45 minutes .... I asked that they take their time and fix it properly, we will go into town and have some breakfast.

FIRST, I stopped at the Agri and bought bright orange cable ties AND a small side cutters !!  :whistling:

Then the nicest breakfast at that open air restaurant behind the SPAR, next to church plain.  As we finished breakfast my phone rang and they confirmed the bike was sorted.  It was not only "sorted", they gave it a proper wash and lube as well !!  :clap:   

As we drove off I told my wife that we are heading back to the Fine Breede ... even if it meant I was going to ride around the vineyard on my own .... I started the 18km a full two hours late !!!  I was almost at the high point  when I noticed my time over distance was out of wack ...     Going down that gravel road at nearly 50km/h I was concentrating on the road, not the computer .... along the railway line I kept my head down and kept a steady 25km/h, and checking the time over distance .... slowly the reality set in that I may actually finish in less than an hour.  :eek:      :cursing:

MAN, that sand climb (minor uphill) over the last few kilometers were pure torture !!  I was GRUNTING as I tried to keep up my speed, while that horrid little teen age punk laughed as he breezed past me  :cursing:  

HEY, I DID manage a 59 minutes and 56 seconds time  :clap:   :clap:

This was a milestone along my road to recovery, so as absurd as the distance may be to most, this ride will always be very special to me.

You going to be on the other side of the pond again Dave?

You must give the 30km a go some day, it truly is an propper mtb event, the amount of elevation and level of technicality makes it one to be reckoned with.

only a quick trip this time..did the 30kms a few years back..well i didn't really have a clue what to expect...and its an event that bites in its own little way....next year...

See you'll there ✌️

things have changed and looks like im sitting this 1 out... pity after i promised myself after year il be back.

Enjoy you'll, this is proper ride!

What a stunning event !!

Weather - PERFECT !!  11 to 26 degrees C, no wind.

Which made me think - never a good idea !  So instead of working on my 18km route time, I did the 30km route ....  :eek:

Sorry, getting ahead of myself.  What a nice sunrise as we were getting ready for our ride.  We were in the starting blocks before the sun was up.

post-110956-0-47064300-1554569108_thumb.jpg

Some good music and a lekka MC counting down to the start of the ride. "Another one bites the dust" kept on replaying in my head along the trail.  And "Juizy wiggle" was nice mood music ...

post-110956-0-56920300-1554569141_thumb.jpg

And then we were off, and climbing, and climbing .... as if the elevation change was not enough the rocky road caught out one rider after the other, and most ended up walking some distance to crest the first climb

post-110956-0-10650200-1554569257_thumb.jpg

I watched the group ride off as I was having a sip of water and resting .... NO, they rode off while I was taking photos !!  (promise)

post-110956-0-34724100-1554569421_thumb.jpg

The I saw a kid walking back, pushing his bike .... He was in third place when he had a tumble and bent the hanger and messed up the chain .... the chain kept on falling off the front ring.  I helped him open the quick-link, and removed the chain.  At least now he could free wheel back to the start.  And would you believe it, the group just kept on riding away while I helped this stricken rider .... SURE those 225 lost seconds cost me a podium position ....

A short distance further the views were simply to good to just ride by !!  The autumn colours are simply magnificent !!

post-110956-0-22353800-1554569634_thumb.jpg

Just before the first water point, about kilometer 9, Gerhard slowly closed the gap on me

post-110956-0-82881600-1554569702_thumb.jpg

Along the technical sections I would pull a gap on him, catching an "elderly rider".  This gent would walk most of the climbs and pull a gap on the other sections  ....

post-110956-0-91240000-1554569784_thumb.jpg

After the first climb Gerhard was riding next to me, and we would stay together to the end.

On the climbs he would wait for me, and encourage me along.  I noticed he was struggling with the single tracks ... I gave him a couple of pointers and he improved a lot over the next sections.  I would wait for him at the bottom of the single tracks, and he would wait for me at the climbs ... 

post-110956-0-03741200-1554570144_thumb.jpg

All while we were treated to the most magnificent views ....

post-110956-0-13658400-1554570009_thumb.jpg

After the climbs, the gentleman caught us quickly, and was off into the distance ....

post-110956-0-24397100-1554570219_thumb.jpg

And then it was some 5km of gravel tracks, followed by maybe 3km of tar to the end.  We nudged each other on, was doing 35 to 40km/h along the tar section ....  :w00t:

Clearly we were not in the lead group that finished in 1 hour and 22 minutes ... but man, we had FUN.  :clap:  O, and no, we were not dead last either .....  :ph34r:   :whistling:

EDIT - corrected the winning time - https://www.timing.mobi/result/bcbbkrjr/30km-breede

Edited by ChrisF