Frame protection option's

Mongooser

Hi all

Sure this has been asked to death

Bought my first brand new dh bike last night and I want to do every safety measure to protect the frame.

Never owned a new bike so I didn't really care about cosmetic damage

now I'm to scared to even look at the New bike funny or it might scratch

What kind of options are there? All I know about is ams sticker kits but that costs alot. Ive heard of aerosol cans that coat the frame.

Any suggestions or advise

Thanks

Edited by Mongooser

That'll probs be my best option. No one makes kits for my frame.

DC fix(the kind that you cover your kids school books with. Just make sure you buy the thicker option.

Edited by Mongooser

I’ve done plasti-dip on one of my frames. Its okay for minor scratches, but not for bigger hits.

Going forward I’d probably do 3M/DC fix over Q30 or plasti-dip.

Be careful with using clear contact. It is cheap, looks just like the more expensive films and seems to be up to the task but when the going gets tough, the contact usually isn't up to it. Probably good for cable rub and the odd stone from a bit of gravel travel, but I doubt it would be the best option on a DH bike where shuttling is involved and the impacts from falling are quite severe.

There are products developed for the automotive industry that would be well suited for this purpose from 3M and Avery. They offer good adhesion ad are designed for impacts. Remember though that preparation prior to installation is probably the most important step. Bad prep can turn a good product into a rubbish one.

don't play put VPS on it they use the same stuff on cars

Jason from G2G was telling me a while back that one of his customers had a frame wrapped for under R1k. (It was a while ago though)

Ill check VPS out thanks. looks like a pretty solid option

Where can I get my hands on some and price?

You can get the VPS from any Maizey supplier I am also interested in their 3M VPS product       2 different micron thickness ,,you can by it per sq meter 1mx1m...ranging between R250 - R300 

You can get the VPS from any Maizey supplier I am also interested in their 3M VPS product 2 different micron thickness ,,you can by it per sq meter 1mx1m...ranging between R250 - R300

Phoned the one in pta, they dont have 3m, they have avery. 120mic at R291 sqm, 240mic at 384 sqm. Ex vat

You can get the VPS from any Maizey supplier I am also interested in their 3M VPS product       2 different micron thickness ,,you can by it per sq meter 1mx1m...ranging between R250 - R300 

Thanks