Is this behaviour ok?

Quagga

I tell you what ...I see YOU drop/throw litter in the street I WILL make it my business to *** you out...I see YOU abusing an animal I WILL *** you out...in SA right now ...most will hide behind the curtains when the sh one T is going down in their own street...PATHETIC!!!

At least one other person who feels like me. Thanks for this post.

You sire need a BELLS as you have my support allready

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Please correct me if I am wrong but has anyone seen or heard of a cyclist getting knocked over at a traffic light because they skipped a red light?

I have never.

So its not really a safety issue (obviously is though if you just flying through a light) but more of a behavior issue and the OP doesnt want other road users to start hating on cyclist?

Please correct me if I am wrong but has anyone seen or heard of a cyclist getting knocked over at a traffic light because they skipped a red light?

I have never.

So its not really a safety issue (obviously is though if you just flying through a light) but more of a behavior issue and the OP doesnt want other road users to start hating on cyclist?

Yes it’s partly a PR thing. And that’s why it affects us all.

When somebody tried to run me over the other day and screamed “you cyclists don’t belong on the road”, it wasn’t because I skipped a red light, but they were likely pissed off by some other recent event involving a cyclist.

That’s why it is “my” business when “you” ride like a chop. Your actions can have consequences on the others.

If it’s 5am, you are alone on the road and there seems to be danger by standing still at a red light, use your better judgment. But jumping lights in morning traffic, while in groups and telling other road users to F off, just further deteriorates of our social fibre.

Why do people need to be convinced to act like normal members of society.

I have never.

I've seen a few red light jumptards get hooted at and a few screeches of car brakes but never an actual collision.

I have never.

Unfortunately I have seen at least one person being knocked over.

Was a dude with a builders level strapped to top tube. And no helmet.

But you are 100% correct with this part.

"OP doesnt want other road users to start hating on cyclist?"

When somebody tried to run me over the other day and screamed “you cyclists don’t belong on the road”, it wasn’t because I skipped a red light, but they were likely pissed off by some other recent event involving a cyclist.

This is exactly what I experience also.

I lady at a random "braai" told a friend "you f-ing cyclist don't obey road rules but you want 1.5m"

I have never.

One of those times you wish you could find an article you read a while ago. There was a study done in the UK about the same thing. It found most accidents that occurred at an intersection happened when cyclists were stationary. It further found that % wise more women than men were involved as women tend to obey traffic laws more than men. 

There was a study done in the UK about the same thing. It found most accidents that occurred at an intersection happened when cyclists were stationary.

Is this not because most cyclists obey the law and are actually stationery at intersections, therefore the data pool is skewed? I didn’t see the article so I don’t know if they corrected for this.

One of those times you wish you could find an article you read a while ago. There was a study done in the UK about the same thing. It found most accidents that occurred at an intersection happened when cyclists were stationary. It further found that % wise more women than men were involved as women tend to obey traffic laws more than men.

bit reductionist to ascribe the problem to being stationary when required. There's very likely the impact of poor driver awareness of cyclists that is root cause.

BUT, the world has moved on from that, yet shitty behaviours from redrobot heroes in lycra continue. In groups, the attitude and behavior is even worse.

Let's apply the good old logic.

The study showed that most accidents happen when cyclists were stationary so the best and safest way for cyclists to behave is to blow through at maximum speed (maximum speed is the furthest we can get from stationary).

Also - us men could all get sex changes.

So trans men on ebikes smashing red or green lights is that safest method for dealing with intersection. Job done.

There is flawed logic on both sides of the argument.Cyclists not obeying all traffic laws yet motorists don't know what traffic apply.

example, I get run off chappies by a security van because the hero behind the wheel doesn't wait to wait till its safe pass me on the descent.

when confronted at the coffee shop he says what is he supposed to do? Cross a solid white line to pass me?!

The answer is yes cross the solid white line when safe to do so

but the flaw was that he had a broken line which meant he was just being a box, an ignorant box too boot.

Cyclists arguing among themselves only furthers the agenda of motorists that don't want any other vehicle on the road.

All round its a big lack of education of the road traffic act and related byelaws.

Plus a big measure of boxiness...

There is flawed logic on both sides of the argument.Cyclists not obeying all traffic laws yet motorists don't know what traffic apply.

example, I get run off chappies by a security van because the hero behind the wheel doesn't wait to wait till its safe pass me on the descent.

when confronted at the coffee shop he says what is he supposed to do? Cross a solid white line to pass me?!

The answer is yes cross the solid white line when safe to do so

but the flaw was that he had a broken line which meant he was just being a box, an ignorant box too boot.

Cyclists arguing among themselves only furthers the agenda of motorists that don't want any other vehicle on the road.

All round its a big lack of education of the road traffic act and related byelaws.

Plus a big measure of boxiness...

everything in italics sound crazy, everything in bold sound suitably relevant.

everything in italics sound crazy, everything in bold sound suitably relevant.

Tell me about it. I've started making it a habit to ask motorists that have just had a close encounter what the issue was that resulted in the near miss.

to my surprise its not the sorry didn't see you but rather the fo you don't belong on the road.

My obedience to the road traffic act isn't even a factor. Often its an excuse by motorists. I'll be cycling as far left as possible and they'll still say you in the middle of the road! "

I don't see this changing because more cyclists obey the law. As I have stated before I see far more cyclists obeying as many of the laws as is practically possible but motorists are not bothered. The attitude is one of the road belongs to them and everyone else is just using it because they let them.

Intervention is needed because its not going to get better

a poor ethics society is the real gremlin in this whole story

Tell me about it. I've started making it a habit to ask motorists that have just had a close encounter what the issue was that resulted in the near miss.
to my surprise its not the sorry didn't see you but rather the fo you don't belong on the road.
My obedience to the road traffic act isn't even a factor. Often its an excuse by motorists. I'll be cycling as far left as possible and they'll still say you in the middle of the road! "

I don't see this changing because more cyclists obey the law. As I have stated before I see far more cyclists obeying as many of the laws as is practically possible but motorists are not bothered. The attitude is one of the road belongs to them and everyone else is just using it because they let them.

Very true

Even if they see every single cyclist stopping at a light and doing everything within the law, the get out of my way attitude will come through as soon as they feel you are holding them up.

I have nothing to add, but feel it worth the time to say, that was well said!

Archived