Is this behaviour ok?

Quagga

a poor ethics society is the real gremlin in this whole story

Exactly. I feel like these days when a lot (not all, but a lot) of South African’s get into their car, there is an automatic change to “box mode” where it’s everyone for themselves. The more of a box you can be to other drivers, pedestrians, and cyclists the more points you get. For bonus points you should never forget that your time and where you need to be is always more important than everyone else’s and tailgating, speeding, swerving in and out of traffic to get to the robot 3 cars ahead of someone else and any number of other traffic infringements is always acceptable.

Poor driving behaviour, impatience, and a general lack of civility on the roads is rampant in South Africa. I am genuinely interested in what has caused this shift in behaviour because people don’t act like that in person (for the most part) but getting into a car seems to change people in mysterious ways.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Very true

Even if they see every single cyclist stopping at a light and doing everything within the law, the get out of my way attitude will come through as soon as they feel you are holding them up.

Not just South Africa. UK and Australia have it really bad too

https://road.cc/content/news/259000-near-miss-day-270-close-pass-neighbour-includes-swearing

(its not a particularly close pass in this video, but its a regular think for those poor poms)

Exactly. I feel like these days when a lot (not all, but a lot) of South African’s get into their car, there is an automatic change to “box mode” where it’s everyone for themselves. The more of a box you can be to other drivers, pedestrians, and cyclists the more points you get. For bonus points you should never forget that your time and where you need to be is always more important than everyone else’s and tailgating, speeding, swerving in and out of traffic to get to the robot 3 cars ahead of someone else and any number of other traffic infringements is always acceptable.

Poor driving behaviour, impatience, and a general lack of civility on the roads is rampant in South Africa. I am genuinely interested in what has caused this shift in behaviour because people don’t act like that in person (for the most part) but getting into a car seems to change people in mysterious ways.

As per the post below yours, I recently shared a study conducted by an australian university where they describe the situation between vehicle drivers and cyclists as "dehumanized". I cant remember which thread I shared it to, but that sounds very sensible to me. I definitely don't think it is the only reason - driving a car changes dynamics for some people. Suddenly the bullied CAN become the oppressor and let of steam... etc etc, sure there are many more examples

I have reported SOO many times there and nothing happens.

No reply, and the situation does not improve.

That route that I cycle in the morning like in my video, has taxi FLYING down the yellow and Uber drivers parked in yellow and I reported and reported and reported = NOTHING

I reported a few times on the cape town one. A few months later some one called. We had a little discussion as to why I should of gone to the police station. I then asked, so whats the point of the website and I did not get an answer.

But hey, lets not dwell off topic

• 2 weeks later...

A bit of a hijack: Was out on the road bike today and a car full of little ****s drove straight at me from the opposite direction whilst one of them hung out the window filming and the rest were screaming various bits of abuse. I was in the yellow line on a long straight section of road and the only reason I didn’t serve and fall was that I wasn’t sure what they were doing until the last moment. Have to wonder how easily that could have gone wrong if the driver hadn’t swerved at the last second.

A bit of a hijack: Was out on the road bike today and a car full of little ****s drove straight at me from the opposite direction whilst one of them hung out the window filming and the rest were screaming various bits of abuse. I was in the yellow line on a long straight section of road and the only reason I didn’t serve and fall was that I wasn’t sure what they were doing until the last moment. Have to wonder how easily that could have gone wrong if the driver hadn’t swerved at the last second.

wonder if they will be thick enough to load it onto the web, bragging about their stupid behaviour ...

This do goody goody topic is why I like to live in rsa rather than Australia with all its authoritarian rules. I enjoy a certain lawlessness where one doesn't need to adhere to rules like a robot (within reason) and I think it's pretty good here. Gist of this thread seems to be it's ok at 4 am to jump the robots but not in rush hour. This is complete baloney, in rush hour when I commute it's when I really need to beat the lights and make it to the next set before the mainstream traffic catches up. I really believe on the limited road I use, jumping the robots makes cycling a whole lot safer. If someone believes it's safer waiting at the robots I wish you luck but I for one would have to find alternative routes as it would just be more dangerous and risky than I'm prepared to take.

Archived