[Event] EWC 2 Hoogekraal Enduro

Enduro Western Cape

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Last stupid question, belowe.

What should we bring to this event, nutrition wise? Are there water points etc?

If there are water points, one bottle should be enough as it's not an all out race vibe?

If there are water points, one bottle should be enough as it's not an all out race vibe?

Take what you'll normally take on a 30-35km ride, if last year was anything to go there be stumpies and drinks at the finish, generally redbull, giant, bikealot sponsor a waterpoint but don't bank on it

Jaco, wat bedoel jy met: "it's not an all out race vibe"?

When that timing pod goes "Peeeeeeep" then it IS all out race mode!  Hoogies will be a pedal fest.  You will be knackered at the end of a stage and if you're not then you did not pedal hard enough.

Do not rely on a water point, this is a self sufficient race.  If there is a water point then happy days but if you ride with only one water bottle and there is no water point then you might just die.  I don't ride Hoogies often but I am pretty sure there is not water crossings where you can fill up your bottle.

5 stages means climbing up 5 hills.  You either climb or you race down.  Prepare yourself for about 3.5 hours on the bike.  Take enough food with you to sustain you for that time.  I don't think just an energy bar or 2 will be enough for the whole day, but that's just me and I eat a lot.

And because this will be your first enduro, go and watch the video at the bottom of this link about how to enduro: https://www.wpcycling.com/mtb/enduro/.

Edited by CJ Van

Hi guys, we've managed to open one new route for the race that EVERYONE will race 'blind' ie NO ONE IS ALLOWED TO RIDE IT BEFORE THE RACE! 

Here is the warning from facebook.

"We have cut new trail for Hoogekraal enduro. NO ONE WILL BE ALLOWED TO RIDE IT UNTIL SUNDAY. If you're caught, you will not BE ALLOWED TO RIDE THE ENDURO. The reason being, it will put riders off the normal trail and onto private fields and this will peeve the farmer off, rightly so. We will no be able to hold enduro's in the future then. SO DON'T RIDE ANY trail that's not on the normal routes. WE REPEAT - DO NOT RIDE THE OFF CAMBER, STEEP, NEWLY CUT TRAILS on Spykers Hill and the Hoogies DH. WE will not have an event here again if you do!!!!!"

Let's show everyone that enduro riders are not entitled twats and can abide by the rules. Please inform any/all riders you encounter at Hoogekraal of this fact if you see them. STAY OFF ANY TRAILS that aren't official/marked officially!

Holding thumbs that we can get through this week without being phoned by an irate landowner...

Edited by iRide

@CJ Van thanks for all the info. Will pack accordingly. Super amped for this and know that when that timer goes beep; I’m going to give it my all.

We are about 10 guys coming through and 4 of us are new to Enduro races.

Lekker

Rad! It should be a jol. I do these so my mates have someone they're always beating. ????

So, the day after. All I have to say is it was an absolute frikkin BLAST! Stage 1 was a wash 'cos I stopped to help a lightie witha broken collarbone after he came off on the bottom half of Trail Z (just after the a-frame) so my official time for that was 14 minutes, taking me waaaaay out of contention for anything. A total turnout of 232 entrants on the day made it an extremely well supported event, with loads of different skill levels and ages. 

The stoke was high, the trails were tacky and perfect, and the weather was simply superb. Loved the addition of stage 3, which was Spykers Hill (reversed) with a few sneaky off camber sections of goodness thrown in to add some spice, and stage 5 was the same as last year, the final descent back to the carpark with a few bits of off-camber goodness thrown in at the top. We need more of this on the regular trail. SOOOO good!

My official time was waaay higher than I wanted to be, thanks to the intermission on stage one, which meant I came 3rd last in the official standings, with 2 of my riding buddies coming in 2nd last and last (one for same reason as me, one due to a catastrophic chain malfunction on the last stage)

The rest of my times were far better, and I'm catching my faster riding buddies which I'm very happy about. 

I think we were the loudest group of the day...  :w00t:  :clap: Can't wait for the Jonkers event. Another very, very well organised event by Enduro Western Cape / EWC Enduro and all the other contributors. 

post-3056-0-27486300-1563789610_thumb.jpg

post-3056-0-34673800-1563789619_thumb.jpg

post-3056-0-93452100-1563789626_thumb.jpg

post-3056-0-04633700-1563789635_thumb.jpg

post-3056-0-87521500-1563789641_thumb.jpg

post-3056-0-68844300-1563789652_thumb.jpg

@CJ Van thanks for all the info. Will pack accordingly. Super amped for this and know that when that timer goes beep; I’m going to give it my all.

We are about 10 guys coming through and 4 of us are new to Enduro races.

Lekker

Dude, you did well for your first event. Hope to see you at the Jonkers one. 

Yoh, I am seriously out of the scene.... I only recognise about 25 names on that result sheet!

Looks like a fun day out. I'm hoping I can get the thumbs up from the wife to join you guys at Jonkers.

The fact that Frankie du Toit is so far down the leaderboard as 1st lady shows how fast a lot of  you guys are riding.

Well done to all the EWC peeps... Full events and 99.99999999% positive feedback is a massive step in the right direction.

Myles, I will be out to beat you at Jonkers!

Dude, you did well for your first event. Hope to see you at the Jonkers one. 

Thanks man! Went OTB on stage 1 and then had a chain slip after that, probably lost close to 80 seconds with those. I really enjoyed the rest and wish I knew the trail a bit better. Everyone was psyching me out with the "rock slab" on Cobra, still not sure where that is supposed to be:P

Also looking at the WidowMaker after the fact, the chicken run there was pointless.

Loved the event, will try and enter every Enduro for 2020.

SideNote: Ek will ook 'n "TSEK" hempie he:)

Super fun day out, lekker trails - but a pedal fest. I will bring the hardtail next year haha!

I was seriously off the pace, about 50 positions slower than Conties - but I expected it with the lack if riding I have been doing lately.

Hahahaha *** ja, it was. If I hadn't stopped for the injured rider I'd have been far better placed, about mid-field. Getting fitter and faster, which is good news.  

Yoh, I am seriously out of the scene.... I only recognise about 25 names on that result sheet!

Looks like a fun day out. I'm hoping I can get the thumbs up from the wife to join you guys at Jonkers.

The fact that Frankie du Toit is so far down the leaderboard as 1st lady shows how fast a lot of  you guys are riding.

Well done to all the EWC peeps... Full events and 99.99999999% positive feedback is a massive step in the right direction.

Myles, I will be out to beat you at Jonkers!

THIS. Frankie is FAST!!!! Joh. 

Re Jonkers: You'll definitely beat me, bro. Especially if they include Status (which I'm sure they won't as 50% of the field probably won't be able to ride it)