2x10 deore or 1x11 slx

CtnSmith

2x10 everyday.

I've just replaced my Sram NX 1x12 for Shimano SLX 2x11 and its the best thing I've done.

Would have bought 2x10 again, but 2x11 from CWC was R500 more so decided to go that route.

Better ratio choices and I never have to worry about what front ring to use for different rides/races. 

Interesting - I guess different strokes and all that...

Still have 2x10 on my commuting bike and 1x12 on the regular bike, love the simplicity of the 1x and not having issues because I'm in some "sub-optimal" gear ratio between front/back. Cannot imagine ever going back to 2x

It is a valid point about choosing the right front ring, but can't say it's something that "worries" me. I l prefer the 36 oval on gravel grind routes but my regular 34 is versatile enough for my purposes that I'm probably just marginally slower using it on open roads.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Can we buy ring side seats when you tell your wife she does not need the 11-speed ...   :whistling: 

haha!.....i got het the 11speed for the exact reason you mention in your build thread lol.

i found her fidgeting too much with the front and rear gears the whole time, and as it stands I'm already getting annoyed at how slow I have to ride when riding with her :blush:​.

But she still isnt strong enough to let the granny in front go...so i got her the 11-46 lol.

Baby steps...atleast i got rid of that nasty front derailleur :whistling: 

next step....have to convince her that a carbon fork will suit her needs better than the 2,5kg low end coil fork she is always locking out anyway  :ph34r:

I ran this setup with a 32 infront for a while. I could climb up to the Kings Blockhouse without to much distress.

You will be surprised what gears you can push if it's the only gears you have.

i went past guys at DBX this past weekend at that first nasty climb and they were basically standing still suffering in their 46/50T grannys  lol. they were like "how" when i got to the top and waited for the wife...and i just said...Go faster :D

Edit: I run a 1/2 pack frame bag on the top tube of my bike, and the dropper cable runs under it to the rear and is visible where it goes into the seat tube...they were convinced i was riding an e-bike haha. guys on single speeds go up stuff like that all the time...36T is plenty.

Edited by morneS555

As commented on in the product review page, I moved to a 2x10 (24/34 with 11/36 on the back) Deore M6000 Hollotec crankset. It's light and is a fantastic set of ratio's for general marathon riding.

Interesting - I guess different strokes and all that...

Still have 2x10 on my commuting bike and 1x12 on the regular bike, love the simplicity of the 1x and not having issues because I'm in some "sub-optimal" gear ratio between front/back. Cannot imagine ever going back to 2x

It is a valid point about choosing the right front ring, but can't say it's something that "worries" me. I l prefer the 36 oval on gravel grind routes but my regular 34 is versatile enough for my purposes that I'm probably just marginally slower using it on open roads.

I will be the next going back to 2 x 11 .I need the big gears to recover and 34 x 10 is not big enough for me .I like to stand and pedal in a 38 x 13 or 15 to recover on flat sections . i missed my 2 x 11 at the race to the sun 

Thanks again for the replies guys Definitely helping... I think my choice is going to be based on finances which means I'm leaning to 1x option. I used the graph mentioned in a previous post and it seems with a 1 x 11 11-50 with a 34 front it will give me closest to my old setup of 3x8 22/32/42 11x34. I will try post screenshots of the graphs, just can't see an attachment link at the moment.

You

Hi guys... Following on from my thread on hardtail vs dual,I am considering saving up till I can afford to spend a little more and get a decent dual. I'm considering in the meantime to change my ex 3x8 as it needs to be replaced.I know this topic has been posted before and the responses lean towards a 1x option. My concern is that I've been having knee issues since I trained for W2W a few years back and don't feel like loosing the granny gear and struggling on the 1x up any climbs which may put further strain on the knees. The 1x option is 32 front 11x46 back. What concerns me is the 2 x option is more expensive and it's a groupset below the slx(if I'm correct?).... Keen to hear your thoughts

Get a singlespeed

Thanks again for the replies guys Definitely helping... I think my choice is going to be based on finances which means I'm leaning to 1x option. I used the graph mentioned in a previous post and it seems with a 1 x 11 11-50 with a 34 front it will give me closest to my old setup of 3x8 22/32/42 11x34. I will try post screenshots of the graphs, just can't see an attachment link at the moment.

I have the 1x 11-42 cassette with 32 chainring. Gonna try a 30t chainring with my current cassette before possibly changing to 11-46 cassette. Will go with sunrace cassette for the extra second granny gear (40t). I’ve never had 1x, but I like the simplicity so I’m gonna stick with it for now.

I only needed front rings, derailer and shifter but it wpuld have been much more expensive to change to 2x. I thought it would be cheaper because its not the latest trend.

With regards to your knees - I’ve had issues from overuse if I do too much too soon (long distances with lots of climbing). Ease into it and don’t go doing races if you haven’t put in the time to ger your body used to the strain.

Hi Guys...so attached are the images from the link someone posted earlier. 1st scenario is my ex setup and then the other 2 are 11-50 with either 32 or 34 front. It seems both offer pretty similar to what I had on the 3x8 in the low gear but the 34 may offer more on the top end aswell.....thoughts? Am I reading this correctly?

post-119330-0-90857300-1559201679_thumb.jpg

post-119330-0-68587000-1559201687_thumb.jpg

post-119330-0-11915300-1559201693_thumb.jpg

Just bumping this up again... Was hoping for some clarity on this as I was going to take the bike in this week end to be done... Thanks all

The real question should be : "What ratio do YOU need at this stage to get up the hills you ride?"

IF you really USE the current low of 0,71 .... then going to 0,74 may be a gear too far ....

I know that I need a lower ratio, at this point.

Good morning 

You're reading it correctly yes  :thumbup:. But and this is the big but I would like to point out is this: 

When going from a 3x down to a 1x you need to bear in mind that you only have one in the front, so that means you will at all times only have one option in the front regardless of the terrain. I rode a 34T in the front for about 1000km and then switched it to a 32T. 

The thing I immediately noticed by making the change is that I climb with more confidence. When you have a 34T (or me that is) in the front you tend to shift to a lighter gear sooner whilst going up a climb. I think it's a physiological thing where you immediately doubt that you'll be able to get to the top in the current gear and tend to go too light too quickly. I then find that my cadence jumps to close to 90 and I "coast" the climb to the top at speeds I'm too ashamed to repeat on an open platform  :whistling:.   

Every PR I had has been broken by reducing the front chain ring size from a 34T down to 32T.

(This can also be due to my thyroid getting sorted but lets go with the change in chain ring for now)

Now I'm not saying that you don't have the leg power to get the 34T going but what I am saying is that it does take some getting used to to go from a 3x8 to a 1x11 or 1x12. The cogs on the 11 speed cassette is slightly different than on the 8 speed and it does take some getting used to to find the sweet spot again. 

I used to ride single speed for around two years and the one thing I always tell everyone - riding with only one gear is easier than riding gears. Yes, when the road heads up you pedal harder but the flip side of the coin is also true: when the road levels out or goes down you conserve way more power on the bike because you can only go so fast before starting to bounce on the saddle. This meant that I would feel more energetic after a 100km ride on the ss than I would going out on a bike with gears. 

So my suggestion: Go for the 1x11 (11-46T or 11-50T) with a 32T in the front. Once you're used to it and start to feel that you're too strong for the 32T then look at the 34T. 

You only regret having a 32T in the front when you go downhill at 50km/h and have no more gears to go to 55km/h (this accounts for probably 15% of a 60-100km ride). Where as you'll regret having the 34T in the front every time your granny doesn't give you sufficient respite from the hill you're trying to conquer (this accounts for 100m elevation for every 10km in Gauteng) 

My last point (promise) - you need to remember that with a 34T you put in more effort regardless of the terrain even on flats, you're pedaling harder (if in the same gear) as someone with a 32T in the front, therefore: harder pedaling = more effort which then equals to earlier fatigue  :thumbup:  

Just bumping this up again... Was hoping for some clarity on this as I was going to take the bike in this week end to be done... Thanks all

My last point (promise) - you need to remember that with a 34T you put in more effort regardless of the terrain even on flats, you're pedaling harder (if in the same gear) as someone with a 32T in the front, therefore: harder pedaling = more effort which then equals to earlier fatigue  :thumbup:  

Harder pedaling = stronger legs = delayed fatigue = faster times = bigger chainring = harder pedaling = stronger legs = delayed fatigue = faster times etc etc etc

Arnold Schwarzzenega once said "you should be looking for ways to make your workouts more difficult, not easier."

People will never improve if they are constantly putting easier gears on their bikes.

One step at a time  :D. I'm sure all the pro's and or Arnie has a saying of some sorts but the difference is that majority of the riders on this forum are in it to be able to finish and not make it harder for themselves  :whistling:

I'm totally with you, I will only ride ss if I can but some folks do not see it as fun to slog up a climb with only one gear

Harder pedaling = stronger legs = delayed fatigue = faster times = bigger chainring = harder pedaling = stronger legs = delayed fatigue = faster times etc etc etc

Arnold Schwarzzenega once said "you should be looking for ways to make your workouts more difficult, not easier."

People will never improve if they are constantly putting easier gears on their bikes.

WAY too many bikes end up in the garage "Because it is too difficult" ....

Easier gears CAN help a rider to gain miles, confidence, and thus improve leg power.  Over time (time in the saddle) the legs grow stronger and the easy gear is used less and less.

YES, once you are past a "weekend rider" the game changes. But on an open forum such as this it may be "bad" for the new rider to go too difficult too early.

at least that is my experience with this ...