Quarq vs Power2Max MTB power meter

OnTheRicky

BTW sent the Quarq to CCS and they could not calibrate it or even tell me what is wrong.

On my Powertap, just the best service you can imagnine from Bicyclepower
In this case don't just choose the power meter but also the company that supports is.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I tested a Quarq Eagle power meter a year or two ago with a brand new battery and it never gave me accurate readings. I set a new FTP, about 150% more than my previous FTP, on a recovery spin according to the Quarq.

I currently use a stages on my MTB and it does what it says on the box. I have not had any issues with it.

My family has 2 quarq's, 2 stages and a powertap and I have previously used a P2M - you won't go wrong with either, both fantastic units. 

Just check which battery the P2M unit uses. I had an old one which used a 2450N battery - good luck finding the damn thing! My mate was complaining about this the other day. The quarq uses the standard 2032 coin cell - available everywhere!

I needed a 2450 for my bmw fob (key). Could not find one locally, but i did not contact bmw. I eventually found one in Russia when I was there in April. But since the bmw fob requires a 2450, bmw might be a good place to start looking for one

BTW sent the Quarq to CCS and they could not calibrate it or even tell me what is wrong.

On my Powertap, just the best service you can imagnine from Bicyclepower

In this case don't just choose the power meter but also the company that supports is.

Agreed, we all know and understand how important training / racing on power is and long turnaround times on this type of products is just not cool. 

I needed a 2450 for my bmw fob (key). Could not find one locally, but i did not contact bmw. I eventually found one in Russia when I was there in April. But since the bmw fob requires a 2450, bmw might be a good place to start looking for one

Go to bidorbuy - plenty 2450 batteries on there (from local suppliers)

I'm ready to pull the trigger on a power meter, but it's such an expensive piece of kit that I want to be sure I've considered everything before I buy. Thing is, I just don't really know enough about living with either unit to really know what I should be considering...

I'm looking at the Quarq XX1 Eagle DUB Boost power meter with cranks or the Power2Max NG Eco equivalent (I already have XX1 cranks.) The Quarq is slightly more expensive, but I can always sell my existing XX1 cranks to make up the difference. 

From what I can tell both seem to perform perfectly fine, but it would be great to hear feedback from someone who has experience with both. Any other advice would be appreciated! 

QUARQ is all we race and ride and suggest to our customers. Very few warranty/tech issue with the Dzero or AXS. We also have a special on them currently ;) 

Thanks for all the responses.

The battery is something to consider, but doesn't seem like a huge issue. 

The only time I've seen a P2M unit on a bike and asked the owner about it he mentioned that they broke the clips on the cover of the battery housing. Is this just user error or a common occurrence? 

Ok so what bike is this going onto?

Secondly there’s a huge difference in price as for Quarq you will need a whole crank and pm due to the 8bolt spider mount.
With rheP2m you just buy the spider and chain ring and it mounts to your 3bolt mount behind the crank arm.

P2m does not make a std chainline spider.they provide an adaptor to space the chainring.you will need extra long chainring bolts from csixx or kalbo design. If boost you will be fine

It's going on a Scott Spark with a DUB BB and Boost chainline, so good for either option. If I get the Quarq the plan is to sell my current (3 bolt) XX1 cranks to make up some of the cost.

The only major difference between Quarq and P2M are the metrics such as pedal smoothness, torque and L:R balance. i believe Quarq come with these metrics standard. the P2M NGeco will only give you power and cadence data out the box. the user however can upgrade (purchase) the above mentioned metrics (pedal smoothness, torque and L:R balance) at an additional cost within the P2M app which is available for free download on iOS or Android systems. 

the upgrade is a once off fee of 50 euro per metric i.e. 150 euro for all 3 metrics. so even with the upgrade the devise will be more attractive in pricing than Quarq.

I hear you and I agree this is the case when you compare normal recommended retail pricing, but with current specials out there on the Quarq, they actually work out exactly the same when you take into account the 3 metrics I would buy separately on the P2M and the money I make up by selling my existing cranks. 

This is something I really have no idea about. 
How useful is it to know your L:R balance, torque and pedal smoothness? 

The only time I've seen a P2M unit on a bike and asked the owner about it he mentioned that they broke the clips on the cover of the battery housing. Is this just user error or a common occurrence? 

It's going on a Scott Spark with a DUB BB and Boost chainline, so good for either option. If I get the Quarq the plan is to sell my current (3 bolt) XX1 cranks to make up some of the cost.

I hear you and I agree this is the case when you compare normal recommended retail pricing, but with current specials out there on the Quarq, they actually work out exactly the same when you take into account the 3 metrics I would buy separately on the P2M and the money I make up by selling my existing cranks. 

One thing to consider in the P2M vs Quarq conversation is that if you opt for Quarq you are stuck without a chainset if it does need to go in for warranty. You cannot simply unbolt the PM and replace with a std direct mount chainring. The P2M allows for this since it fits the std 3 bolt pattern.

That said lets hope you're not unlucky and that your user experience will make this a moot point.

I'd still opt for the P2M simpky because they're in JHB and therefore turnaround should be quick and painless.

as far as L+R balance goes I think its a useless metric on an MTB.

You are shifting left power from one leg to the other as on the trail bike balancing requires so your balance will be heavily skewed depending on the trails you ride, how you approach obstacles. It's not as useful as it would be on a road bike. I don't have it with my P2M and don't think I will. The std metrics supplied with the NGEco are sufficient for effective training with power

Edited by DieselnDust

Let's face it L:R, pedal smoothness and torque are only for roadies. MTB'ing we to busy trying not to crash our @$$ off on the trails.

the only metric i would look at is torque, some cycling coaches use this metric to monitor their intervals. 

RE the battery clips coming off, i have only seen this on 1 unit, must therefore be the same client. We have been able to glue the clips back on with a special plastic glue. this works and the battery compartment was safe from moisture. 

How did the clips break off? The battery cover area isn't flimsy

I can't comment on why it broke, this reason was never provided. 

One thing to consider in the P2M vs Quarq conversation is that if you opt for Quarq you are stuck without a chainset if it does need to go in for warranty. You cannot simply unbolt the PM and replace with a std direct mount chainring. The P2M allows for this since it fits the std 3 bolt pattern.

That said lets hope you're not unlucky and that your user experience will make this a moot point.

I'd still opt for the P2M simpky because they're in JHB and therefore turnaround should be quick and painless.

as far as L+R balance goes I think its a useless metric on an MTB.

You are shifting left power from one leg to the other as on the trail bike balancing requires so your balance will be heavily skewed depending on the trails you ride, how you approach obstacles. It's not as useful as it would be on a road bike. I don't have it with my P2M and don't think I will. The std metrics supplied with the NGEco are sufficient for effective training with power

This is not true, the quarq Dzero has 8 bolts and they provide the tool for removing the PM which comes with the PM so you can also replace with a spider whilst it is in for service/repair/warranty etc.

Edit: there even one in the classifieds without crank arms to prove it https://www.bikehub.co.za/classifieds/363800-quarq-dzero-spider-and-rings/

Edited by shaper

Excuse me but I don’t understand what is not true. Does the Quarq come with a 8 bolt blank 104bcd spider for Incase of emergency? My old unit certainly didn’t. Neither does my current road Quarq