Helmet Spray Paint

Jackson123

Hi there fellow hubbers.

Looking to respray a helmet of mine which have faded after time and due to some hours in the sun.

Could anyone direct me or advise of someone who does helmet spray painting in the Gauteng area? As close as possible to Centurion.

Thanks for helping out.

The solvents in the spraypaint will most likely adversely affect the Poly meant to absorb impacts. 

Perhaps rather look at Wrapping the helmet, or replace as previously stated.

Most manufacturers recommend that a helmet is replaced every 3 years. The sun and sweat breaks down the materials used in the helmet.

If yours is faded, most likely its safety has been compromised and you need a new one.

The solvents in the spraypaint will most likely adversely affect the Poly meant to absorb impacts. 

Perhaps rather look at Wrapping the helmet, or replace as previously stated.

Thats what we were always told ....

Yet Bogus was spraying helmets for a team a few weeks back.

Maybe the technology changed .... or maybe they just mask of way better ....  either way, it is possible.

Edited by ChrisF

Thats what we were always told ....

Yet Bogus was spraying helmets for a team a few weeks back.

Maybe the technology changed .... or maybe they just mask of way better ....  either way, it is possible.

Entirely possible to spray helmets safely - BUT - it's not justified by economics - much better and cheaper to just replace an old helmet.

Hi there fellow hubbers.

Looking to respray a helmet of mine which have faded after time and due to some hours in the sun.

Could anyone direct me or advise of someone who does helmet spray painting in the Gauteng area? As close as possible to Centurion.

Thanks for helping out.

Entirely possible to spray helmets safely - BUT - it's not justified by economics - much better and cheaper to just replace an old helmet.

JIP !

Major difference between a "team spray job" vs trying to revive an old lid ....

That said .... one day I may just cave in and buy an airbrush kit .... economical - heck NO, but imagine the fun (and frustration)

JIP !

That said .... one day I may just cave in and buy an airbrush kit .... economical - heck NO, but imagine the fun (and frustration)

I've seen the way you do things - let me know when you cave and buy the kit, I'll courier my helmet down  :clap:

I've seen the way you do things - let me know when you cave and buy the kit, I'll courier my helmet down  :clap:

Hiehie .... wallet needs time to recover from the last project ...   :whistling:

.... but those YouTube videos makes it look "so easy" to air brush ....  :w00t:   

SURE it cant be "that easy" ....  ^_^  guess there is only one way to find out ....  :whistling:

OP, if you're really keen for some DIY..you can go to any RC hobby store and buy the Tamiya PS spray cans (NOT the TS!). That PS paint is made for polycarbonate...which a lot of helmets use over the styrofoam.  

Edited by morneS555

JIP !

you can borrow mine if you like... it's harder than it looks....

you can borrow mine if you like... it's harder than it looks....

The "skill" of painting is one thing ... and I may be able to get that sorted with many many many hours of practice ...

The ART of air brushing is a totally different matter !!!  I know myself well enough to know THIS is the bit that is lacking .....

There was a gent that Chip Foose used to fly in to do his "true flames" - Mike Lavallee .... WOW !! .... 

https://www.killerpaint.com/mike.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_yAvztM8DMI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pOABoWXWKy0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46zwUaVxHRo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Qu_quKd_Sw

Replace the helmet.

You're only throwing good money after bad.

Just because the helmet might look good after it's makeover, doesn't mean it will do it's job.

Protect your pip with a new helmet.

Just waiting for someone to spell it as 'helmut'

If you don't need anything special and it's a single colour (You can mask etc for more colours) try Plastidip, Rustoleum Flexidip, Glue Devil Second Skin, Duplicolor Custom Wrap etc.

They are all those peel off coatings.