Aggressive hardtail

Dippie

if you are keen on a cotic...i've been in contact with Paul at Cotic UK recently and the price listed on their site is more or less what you end up paying including shipping here. They obviously give it to us minus the uk vat but the DHL/TNT courier makes up the difference. Just remember to ad the obligatory 15% SA vat and 10% customs/ handling fees.

I enquired about a Solaris max. The frame is £650. They quoted me £540 for the frame and £130 for DHL.

Thats more or less R16k all in for the frame landed. 

this was 2 months ago. 

https://www.cotic.co.uk/product/solarisMAX

Production Privée - 550 Euro for the Shan GT and then about 150 Euro for DHL shipping

...if you can get those spaniards to answer your mails lol.

PS - NEVER call a Catalan a spaniard if you value your life

https://www.production-privee.com/en/product/shan-gt/

Edited by morneS555

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Would that not make it a less aggressive hardtail...?

Indeed.

This thread is getting a bit carried away from the original question. oops  :oops:

I think it's a difference of definition. The OP states he wants an aggressive hardtail that can go 120mm up front with slack geometry. That's the answers he got, minus what some call "aggressive".. So maybe we should not associate aggressive with 2.0" tyres and speed, in this case but for an aggressive style of riding?

Whichever way, just saying "I want an aggressive bike" confuses me. Is Avalanche aggressive? Certainly is if you only consider the name!

Hi does anyone know about a aggressive hardtail that is aviadble in south africa 120mm fork and slack Geomentry

A few guys have linked to the Shand frame I'm selling (thank you).

The Silverback is a good deal so that's also an option.

Personally I prefer the ride of steel compared to alloy for a hardtail. I don't think it matter for a FS but for a hardtail I think it does. There is something special about the way Reynolds 853 absorbs vibration and chatter. So for a similar price to an alloy bike you could build up a something pretty unique in South Africa. 

https://www.bikehub.co.za/classifieds/360475-reynolds-853-scottish-hardtail-frame/

Its all relative. Aggressive can mean anything. So pretty arbitrary as far as defining bikes go. I think OP's intended use of the word leans more towards describing frame geometry as apposed to suspension travel. Which is an important distinction to make. While longer travel bikes tend to have slacker geometry. They are generally considered more aggressive than shorter travel bikes since their intended purpose is more playful. Having said that not all long, low and slack frames are necessarily built for big travel. There's a niche market for playful short travel bikes and there are certainly a few of them. They tend to pinball through trails popping of small features as apposed to plowing through them. The result is a bike which feels like it its constantly getting short intermittent bursts of air and generally a little less overall ground contact. Tons of fun.

I can't think of any frames off the bat. But I do remember a good example of such a bike from a couple years ago. It was called the Summer Season. Based off On One's 456 frame of the time. It was simply the same frame they took and just made it slacker and lower. It had a head angle that for the time, was practically downhill bike territory. All packaged for a 120mm fork if I remember correctly. Possibly 130mm.

Edited by popcorn_skollie

Would that not make it a less aggressive hardtail...?

Depends on your definition of aggressive. Aggressive XC, or aggressive enduro. In this case I am assuming OP means aggressive trail/enduro.

@OP you are safe with a mighty Ragley (Marley, Big Wig etc.)  :thumbup: 

Now go forth and shred the Gnar!!  :clap:

If you need a meduim sized bike, i have  2 cotics avaliable

BFe thakes a 120 - 160mm fork

Soul takes 100 to 140mm fork

https://www.bikehub.co.za/classifieds/352272-cotic-bfe-medium/

https://www.bikehub.co.za/classifieds/356457-renolds-853-steel-cotic-soul-price-drop/

Go away!!!!

Partial to the 27.5 for my lighty, but I may use it as well. If I come home with this bike, I will have to find someplace else for the bike and I to live.

Go away!!!!

Partial to the 27.5 for my lighty, but I may use it as well. If I come home with this bike, I will have to find someplace else for the bike and I to live.

and the problem? 

and the problem? 

I like my wife a lot more than I like bicycles.

Not sure if she likes me more than bicycles, but that is another thread's discussion.

I see that Sick Bike Co have some frames going for about R5000. That is at the edge of long and slack aggressive HT frames. They've had some issues recently so if you're interested I'd contact them first before 'adding to cart'.