Smart watch recommendations

Violater

Hey Guys

I'm looking for some advice and recommendations.

Looking for a Exercise tracker with some smart watch functionality.

I had a Garmin Fexin 3 Sapphire (Strap based HR) that I used for about 2 years.  It worked perfectly although it's smart watch functionality was a bit limited.  The glass didn't have a scratch at the end and the HR recording was always spot on.

I hurt my back a while back and it looked like I wouldn't be able to run again, so I sold the Fenix and got a Huawei watch GT with wrist based HR.

Within a week I scratched the face, it's HR functionality is almost useless.

I'm slowing starting to run again and I really would like to get a better HR tracker.

Not sure whether to get a Fenix 5 or something else.

Couple of questions.

How well do other wrist based HR trackers work?  The Huawei's fall apart after about 150.

I like the Fenix 5, but are there any other worthy alternatives?

My requirements are:

Will only be using it for running.

Has to be waterproof

Ideally sapphire glass

Some basic smart watch features.

i would look at brand new Forerunner 245, if it was me and you only using for running.

Forerunner 735

From an Apple Watch 3 to this and I cannot wait for October and will dump the Garmin.

It's not as accurate in GPS or HR, and it feels like I went back to a Casio watch from my teens.  beep beep beep, one hundred button presses to do anything.

The ONLY thing great about it is the battery life.  But considering I wear a watch all day, I cannot wait to get an Apple again purely because I only ride for about 10hrs a week, but wear a watch for that time (or more) EVERY day.    

/// and cue the Garmin fanbois  3... 2... 1...     puffer jackets zipped!  fenix's on!  rage start!  :clap:

Look at the vivoactive 3. For yr requirement it will work and use a screen protector film.

I have had mine for more than a year now, very happy with it and it’s way cheaper than Fenix range.

From an Apple Watch 3 to this and I cannot wait for October and will dump the Garmin.

It's not as accurate in GPS or HR, and it feels like I went back to a Casio watch from my teens.  beep beep beep, one hundred button presses to do anything.

The ONLY thing great about it is the battery life.  But considering I wear a watch all day, I cannot wait to get an Apple again purely because I only ride for about 10hrs a week, but wear a watch for that time (or more) EVERY day.    

/// and cue the Garmin fanbois  3... 2... 1...     puffer jackets zipped!  fenix's on!  rage start!  :clap:

Sorry I just sneezed and cracked my I phone's screen

Sorry I just sneezed and cracked my I phone's screen

Must be using a knock off then.   My recommendation wont work anyway, rather perhaps buy one of those Clicks no-name brands then?

Look at the vivoactive 3. For yr requirement it will work and use a screen protector film.

I have had mine for more than a year now, very happy with it and it’s way cheaper than Fenix range.

I second this.  It's what I use.  Very happy and put a screen protector on and off you go

Must be using a knock off then.   My recommendation wont work anyway, rather perhaps buy one of those Clicks no-name brands then?

That was meant to be comic font sorry :D

But seriously the GPS tracking issues with grain have been well documented, it still doesn't take away from how bombproof they are

But seriously the GPS tracking issues with grain have been well documented, it still doesn't take away from how bombproof they are

Depends on the grain used.  I find rice works well, but you need quite a big bag for longer rides and brown ride blends in with the trails I use.

But yeah, Garmin even has a button on their Connect site disclaimering their shitty GPS.   Makes one wonder.   That said, I'll still use their on-bike computers.  Even though after 17months my Edge 820 struggles to stay alive for more than 3 hours of use.