Spur Schools MTB League

ChrisF

What I am not seeing however, is road cycling mentioned at school level, or am I missing things?

According to one of the "schools cycling coaches" .... apparently talks about getting road cycling promoted for school kids from the age of 16 and up ....

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What I am not seeing however, is road cycling mentioned at school level, or am I missing things?

I raised it before with the school, and yes, it is a safety issue. The school is uncomfortable with school children training on the roads, and if something happens, they might be held liable by the parents.

• 3 weeks later...

Paul Roos High school.

As you enter the school grounds the cars are turned RIGHT to the main parking area.

You then walk past the school to the swimming pool area, where the event starts.

The start leads out off Paul Roos, then onto the Coetzenburg grounds, past the dairy farm.  The route then turns South towards the koppies.

The Sub-nippers and nippers only start the first climb, for maybe 50m, then does a U-turn and heads back to Paul Roos.

Certainly the easiest of the four routes.  Also the fastest !!

post-110956-0-21769500-1568356408_thumb.jpg

EDIT - the 11-year old kids, and older, carry on into the koppies where the little ones made the U-turn ... must be a nice test for their legs .... I am not sure of the route they take through the koppies

PS - this was the 2018 route, trust it will be the same this year

PPS - I am man-down in bed with the flu .... Maritz's parents will bring him on Saturday.

Edited by ChrisF

Paul Roos High school.

Certainly the easiest of the four routes.  Also the fastest !!

I told my daughter that before the Worcester race, no way she is going to believe that story again....

I told my daughter that before the Worcester race, no way she is going to believe that story again....

Bwhahahaha .....  :P

at least you can show her the videos :thumbup:

PS - get her in a nice high speed gear, and tell her to run up that little hill.  The little ones seam to struggle with the hill, and she will PASS a lot that try to ride up there ...

Bwhahahaha .....  :P

at least you can show her the videos :thumbup:

PS - get her in a nice high speed gear, and tell her to run up that little hill.  The little ones seam to struggle with the hill, and she will PASS a lot that try to ride up there ...

Thanks for the tip! Will definitely do that

According to one of the "schools cycling coaches" .... apparently talks about getting road cycling promoted for school kids from the age of 16 and up ....

At school level it makes more sense to have track/crit racing as a foundation.

THANK YOU to SPUR and the people that put this series together !!

What a "weird" day !!!  :w00t:   :clap:

Maritz has done each leg of the series.  At the first event he tried to start mid-pack, and got knocked over in the first 10m ....  At Bloemendal we tried again for a mid-pack start, somehow he ended 5th last at the start.  By now he had a phobia about these group starts !!  At Worcester we just started dead last, with the full intent to just have fun (had to get rid of the starting stress..)  At each event he made up a LOT of positions, but we are realistic that his best lap times is still 1 or 2 minutes off the race pace.

Imagine our shear surprize when Maritz gets called out at Stellenbosch to join the seaded riders !!  :w00t:   :thumbup:

And so Maritz stands middle of the FRONT row.  Uhm ....  :whistling:   When they talk too much English he switches off ....  :oops:   He clean missed the count down ....  The riders were swamping him by the time he tried to get foot to peddle .... thankfully he started without incident !! (dank Vader)

The start has two switchbacks, and then a NARROW single bike gate .... and Maritz politely stands aside and lets other riders through ....  :wacko:   :whistling:

O-well, he had a safe start, and he enjoyed the race.

We are super happy and proud of our little rider !!!!  :clap:   :clap:

Next year he rides with the Nippers, against kids a year older than him.  NO pressure.  Perfect opportunity to hone the skills ....

The morning was somewhat dampened by us arriving on the scene of a horrific accident a couple of minutes after it happened today. I still feel ill thinking about it.

But that being said it was a great ride today to end their first year of “competitive” riding.

My kids loved it again. 39 / 142 in the subnipper boys and 12 / 41 in the nipper girls.

What I really enjoy is the NG, being a relatively small field, is developing a friendly rivalry as they grow to know each other, even their names. I hope they keep that, going into Sprogs.

Bring on 2020

Ps Chris. I saw Maritsa a few times. He’s riding nicely.

Edited by Sbloomer