MTB Glasses

AlanD

Hi All,

I'm tired now of bugs, mud, sand, wind..etc. getting in my eyes and need to look at a cheap pair of MTB sunglasses.

Now I'm not really a glasses wearing person as they do tend to annoy me but I need some, so a cheap good pair is what I am after.

I have a fairly long and narrow face so I struggle with glasses fit. Something that wraps around would be good I think.

What are you guys wearing and can recommend based on above. I've seen some Tifosi Camrock ones on special that look good. Thanks

I think the best bet is to go to a store and try a few pairs on. That way you will see which frame shape fits your face. Also the best fitting glasses might not be the cheapest.

I think the best bet is to go to a store and try a few pairs on. That way you will see which frame shape fits your face. Also the best fitting glasses might not be the cheapest.

Says the man with the goggles  :clap:

Just beware of "cheap" sunglasses hey, they can end up costing you way more than just bugs and dust in the eyes.

A few examples of what I'm referring to:

My opinion: You don't need to spend a boat load to get a proper set of sunnies, all you need are some rules of thumb to help you on your way: 

1. Buy a brand you know i.e. get yourself some Uvex (as mentioned above), Polaroid, Ocean....., Bolle and there's a few that escapes me now. A brand that has been around in the industry for some time. A MTB brand that suddenly brings out a sunny aren't always a great idea
  2. When you have the set in your hands and you hold it in front of your eyes, just before the temples slide past your face, move the frame from left to right in front of your eyes and look through them at a stationary item in the distance, if the item "moves" or "jumps" through the lenses then the lenses were incorrectly bent past a base curve of 8 and this will most definitely have an effect once you're using them on the trails. It's referred to as "prismatic disorder"  
  3. Then the last tip I can give: If you put the glasses on your face and your eyes feel strained and or a little out of focus then you can leave the pair in the shop  :thumbup:.

You want a pair that relaxes your eyes instantly when you put them on, even indoors.

After years of Cheaper sunglasses I got a pair of Rudy project rydon photochromic glasses and i'm so happy with them  I now have 2 pairs one stays in the car for driving...the ability to go from shade to light and vice versa means the glasses stay on ...the adjustable arms allow you to berd them to the most comfortable shape and line.

I would suggest Oakleys as they make incredible glasses (I won't ride without mine), but unfortunately, they are not cheap.

Glasses such as Bolle, Uvex, Ocean etc. will be more than up to the job and don't cost much.

I know several people who would have lost an eye from a flying stone if they weren't wearing glasses - my dad recently had a stone him in the glasses! I don't understand how people cycle without glasses...

clear safety glasses

put a dremel to it to improve air flow (you do get decent shaped ones)

they are tough, uv protection, shatter proof and you dont have to worry about them

oh they are cheap too

clear safety glasses

put a dremel to it to improve air flow (you do get decent shaped ones)

they are tough, uv protection, shatter proof and you dont have to worry about them

oh they are cheap too

All I use. Using them for years with no problems. Scratch, then ditch them. Wurth have a great flexi pair for R12.

Some are more mod than others but if you are into fashion then spend the money on the big name brand, they all do the same thing.

All I use. Using them for years with no problems. Scratch, then ditch them. Wurth have a great flexi pair for R12.

Some are more mod than others but if you are into fashion then spend the money on the big name brand, they all do the same thing.

Didnt think of looking at safety glasses. I dont care for the fashion as I'm ot a glasses wearing person so function is all I want them for.

A quick search and found these that look like they could work well and cheap

https://www.screwfix.com/p/bolle-silium-smoke-lens-safety-specs/5030h#product_additional_details_container

After years of Cheaper sunglasses I got a pair of Rudy project rydon photochromic glasses and i'm so happy with them  I now have 2 pairs one stays in the car for driving...the ability to go from shade to light and vice versa means the glasses stay on ...the adjustable arms allow you to berd them to the most comfortable shape and line.

do they really work in the car ?

I recall when I got my RP photochromatics from one of the cycling expos, I put them on the moment I got in the car, drove for a while and could not understand why the light was still so bright, took them off to take a look and they had not gone dark.

The moment I climbed out of the car with them they started to darken.

I then read something along the lines of they need UV to darken and the cars windscreen being tinted meant it was blocking those rays from getting to the lenses.

Archived