Any Hubbers moving to or living in Canada?

Ramrod

Hi.

Similar to Wayne Potgieter's thread about New Zealand. Looking to find and discuss the pro's and con's of moving to Canada.

I am considering my options. Have lived in NZ for a year but that didn't work out due to personal reasons.

Feel free to discuss

Edited by Ramrod

A friend went there on a "look and see" trip. He came back shaking his head saying he would never live in a country like that with such cold weather.

I met another woman who moved there 5 years ago and loves it. 

Personally, coming from PE, I'm happy to live is a place where I can still wear short pants in winter.

Following, also considering making the move to Canada within the next 5 years and would like to hear the pros and cons of people having lived there or currently living there.

I've travelled around a fair bit and lived in the UK for five years.  British Columbia is the only place I've been to where I'd move to in a heartbeat.  It's stunningly beautiful, the people are friendly and welcoming, everything works, great government and I have family there.  But I also enjoy cooler rainy weather.  BC has the most temperate climate in the county though, and I have no appeal to go on the other side of the Rockies. 

Getting in requires a fair whack of available funds and is also really difficult without a job offer.  And like everywhere else, it's getting harder all the time.  Have you looked into the process? 

as far as i know, grumpy old man, and big ben lives in cananda. 

Correct, although its Grumpy Old Guy IIRC. Its been a while since I have seen a post from him.

BC and Vancouver is a great place to visit. It's a little like Aus and NZ in that everyone moves to the big city, which then becomes a mighty expensive place to be. Hence it was not my Number 1 choice.

BC and Vancouver is a great place to visit. It's a little like Aus and NZ in that everyone moves to the big city, which then becomes a mighty expensive place to be. Hence it was not my Number 1 choice.

Vancouver is crazy expensive.  Amazing city, but I wouldn't live there.  But the areas a little further away (the Kootenays for example) are far more affordable and just as nice to be in.

Vancouver is crazy expensive.  Amazing city, but I wouldn't live there.  But the areas a little further away (the Kootenays for example) are far more affordable and just as nice to be in.

Property prices in Vancouver are a joke, I have some friends who moved over years ago and they have never been able to buy their own place despite having great jobs.

Have you looked into the process? 

Yeah, i have started looking into the process.  It is a bit of a mission but trying to figure out if the pros outweigh the cons.

I have an open offer in NZ but not sure I would want to go back there. Not that there is anything wrong with NZ. It just wasn't for me.

Yeah, i have started looking into the process.  It is a bit of a mission but trying to figure out if the pros outweigh the cons.

I have an open offer in NZ but not sure I would want to go back there. Not that there is anything wrong with NZ. It just wasn't for me.

What is / was it about NZ that put you off?

If you want to answer in the Let's get out of here or the NZ thread, in order not to derail this one, please do. 

What is / was it about NZ that put you off?

If you want to answer in the Let's get out of here or the NZ thread, in order not to derail this one, please do. 

It was personal issues. Step-kids and extended family (that live there) getting involved and taking sides etc. 

Hi.

Similar to Wayne Potgieter's thread about New Zealand. Looking to find and discuss the pro's and con's of moving to Canada.

I am considering my options. Have lived in NZ for a year but that didn't work out due to personal reasons.

Feel free to discuss

Grumpy Old Guy moved there a few years ago, may try look up his threads you may find something.

Unfortunately he seems to have retired from posting on the hub

Also following. But the very liberal left kind of puts me off. Watching social debates involving the whole transgender debate for example makes think i might be out of place there. (Not my intention to start that debate on here, just trying to learn from this thread as well as the NZ thread as relocating may be a reality for most of us including myself)

A friend went there on a "look and see" trip. He came back shaking his head saying he would never live in a country like that with such cold weather.

I met another woman who moved there 5 years ago and loves it. 

Personally, coming from PE, I'm happy to live is a place where I can still wear short pants in winter.

I live in the south of Germany and I still wear my shorts in winter.  The neighbours however do think I am a bit fooked in the head because of it but that is their problem.  Canada however I think is more extreme I think.  In general over the last few years since we moved to Germany I get the idea that North America has had tougher winters than Europe.

Edited by Bateleur1