Potential hazard Table Mountain

Trance Dance

So SANPARKS have done a great job of adding and improving signage on Table Mountain. Unfortunately this includes a new sign on the trail around lion's head that could be dangerous if a rider crashes into it. Where the lion's head trail forks off from Pat's track is a difficult corner, especially for nervous or beginner riders. Sanparks have placed a particularly sharp sign in a pretty bad place that will cause a lot of damage if a rider botches this turn.

If other riders feel the same way, I'm happy to contact Sanparks to discuss this with them. Alternatively, if someone from table Mountain bikers would like to investigate and follow up that's also cool.

I've also noticed the sign, right at eye level when you turn the corner..

I've also noticed the sign, right at eye level when you turn the corner..

Would you agree that it is a potential risk or am I overreacting?

Here is a pic I downloaded. I can't ride trails at the moment due to a finger injury so jot able to get a better photo. You can't see the trail itself, but the pic does show how sharp the sign is.

post-23715-0-14943400-1562651078_thumb.jpeg

Completely agree with this. Every time I take the corner that sign worries me. 

I often go on Table mountain side, under the cable car and through to Rhodes Men, Could you please tell me how do I find this section of trail, as I don't want to go on a No go part of a hikers trail. Then I can also give my perspective on the pole :-)

Thanks in advance

Glen

I often go on Table mountain side, under the cable car and through to Rhodes Men, Could you please tell me how do I find this section of trail, as I don't want to go on a No go part of a hikers trail. Then I can also give my perspective on the pole :-)

Thanks in advance

Glen

Signal Hill, east side of lion's head, near the Karamat. 

Google maps refers to it as Lion's head path, and colloquially, it's Pat's track. 

post-6789-0-17214000-1562669771_thumb.png

Edited by Capricorn

I ride that route every day and yes that sign is in the way at a terrible point of the turn, im very used to ducking under it but im sure it will take someone out .

Signal Hill, east side of lion's head, near the Karamat. 

Google maps refers to it as Lion's head path, and colloquially, it's Pat's track. 

attachicon.giftrack rs.png

thanks so much... very much appreciated, so I can ride any section of that, that says "Lion's Head path..?? Thanks for your help

Surely that sign makes it a black route

If the epic single track on plum pudding is graded black, then the lions head downhill is already double black!

It seems there are a couple of guys who agree that the sign is in a dangerous position. I'm going to contact sanparks and ask them to move it.

thanks so much... very much appreciated, so I can ride any section of that, that says "Lion's Head path..?? Thanks for your help

yes you can. Follow it all the way around. It will meet Kloof road. Do it early to avoid lots of walkers

Would you agree that it is a potential risk or am I overreacting?

Here is a pic I downloaded. I can't ride trails at the moment due to a finger injury so jot able to get a better photo. You can't see the trail itself, but the pic does show how sharp the sign is.

I've ridden into that sign. Luckily it's flexi board so hit it with my helmet and on I went.

But I agree, it's potentially dangerous. Also puts one off the job at hand, which in itself is dangerous.