Sub 3 Cape Town Cycle Tour?

I would also like to add into the conversation here that, at 16, cycling should also not be your only sport that you do.

There seems to be a lot of emphasis in sports specialization at a younger age these (if you want to make it...) from coaches and or parents.

You still have a developing body and muscle recruitment patterns from other sports, Rugby/Cricket/Hockey, etc.. would greatly benefit your cycling in the long run in various ways.

Try being an all-rounder at this age, enjoy your sports for what it offers you, but also working hard at them to get better.

Hi there. I play waterpolo and did play rugby and hockey but chose to do no sport in winter so I can mtb and got told my Sports scientist I had choose between cycling and rugby because high risks of breaking my collarbone if I crashed or went into a tackle wrong. Hockey I was an A team goalkeeper but I got barely any fitness so left Edited by J davis

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

And if he rides you off his wheel ????

I wouldn't be surprised! Would be impressed! But I also well versed in wheel sucking if the time arises!

Thank you. I'm based in Cape Town with Club 100.

Only Junior in the club, the other guys in my club are still a bit faster with A,B, D and E seeding.

I am currently faster than my school friends but the club is still a long ladder to the top

Feel free to join us here, we ride twice a week Tues thursday, then a long on the weekend, depending on kids etc. 

https://www.strava.com/clubs/pure-savage

There is also the tour de bootlegger you are welcome to come join, you will easily keep up.

Some good advice has been given above.

Here are my few:

• Ride for the right reasons, I've had many friends go Pro for a few years and then chuck in the towel and never want to see a bike again so having fun in No.1.
  • The weather and seeding play a huge role in this race, so no point worrying about things that are out of your control to a large degree but improving your seeding is a good start.
  • If you are wanting to improve ride with people slightly stronger than you, sounds like you have this covered for now.
  • Ride smart, This is free speed. Learn how to surf the bunch keep out the wind and read when a split is about to happen so you can anticipate moving up and save your legs as much as possible. This is even more essential if you are on junior gears as you have to be extra vigilante on the flats and downs. At your W/kg I would still recommend trying to start the climbs in the first 20 as this will allow you to slip back slowly if they really going or be able to go with the split and not have to close a gap.
  • Train should include the basics: A good base (long slow distance), Hill work (raring intervals) and then Speed work (closed to the race, high cadence). This is just a rough plan and you don't need training plans, power meters or fancy bikes to keep the pro's honest, trust me I've done it. ;) 
  • Try do as meany races as financially possible as this will help with the bunch skills and leg speed. Spend some time on the back of the bunch observing the dynamics and learning how and where to conserve energy.

If you do want to get some former pro insider knowledge later on I know a few floating around CT that Im sure wouldn't mind going for a ride. 

Glad you enjoying it, at my School we had a few kids whos parents would shout at them if they didn't perform at the races, went as far as one guy getting his Argus race time adjusted as he said he waited just before the timing mats for a while, didn't realise he hadn't crossed the actual finish. 

Post school he stopped cycling, wonder why. 

I also had my heart set on a sub 3 at school and I didn't get it. Don't worry if you don't get it. 

At university I really enjoyed cycling, cycled most days before class and then also cycled to class. 

Edited by Let's Ride

Glad you enjoying it, at my School we had a few kids whos parents would shout at them if they didn't perform at the races, went as far as one guy getting his Argus race time adjusted as he said he waited just before the timing mats for a while, didn't realise he hadn't crossed the actual finish.

Post school he stopped cycling, wonder why.

I also had my heart set on a sub 3 at school and I didn't get it. Don't worry if you don't get it.

At university I really enjoyed cycling, cycled most days before class and then also cycled to class.

Thats sounds harsh.Fortunate enough for me my parents are supportative and happy I found something I enjoy doing Edited by J davis

Some good advice has been given above.

Here are my few:

• Ride for the right reasons, I've had many friends go Pro for a few years and then chuck in the towel and never want to see a bike again so having fun in No.1.
  • The weather and seeding play a huge role in this race, so no point worrying about things that are out of your control to a large degree but improving your seeding is a good start.
  • If you are wanting to improve ride with people slightly stronger than you, sounds like you have this covered for now.
  • Ride smart, This is free speed. Learn how to surf the bunch keep out the wind and read when a split is about to happen so you can anticipate moving up and save your legs as much as possible. This is even more essential if you are on junior gears as you have to be extra vigilante on the flats and downs. At your W/kg I would still recommend trying to start the climbs in the first 20 as this will allow you to slip back slowly if they really going or be able to go with the split and not have to close a gap.
  • Train should include the basics: A good base (long slow distance), Hill work (raring intervals) and then Speed work (closed to the race, high cadence). This is just a rough plan and you don't need training plans, power meters or fancy bikes to keep the pro's honest, trust me I've done it. ;)
  • Try do as meany races as financially possible as this will help with the bunch skills and leg speed. Spend some time on the back of the bunch observing the dynamics and learning how and where to conserve energy.
If you do want to get some former pro insider knowledge later on I know a few floating around CT that Im sure wouldn't mind going for a ride.

Thanks. I hope to imply these tactics into my races. That would be awesome

Thank you. School is definitely no 1 priority

Chicks.

You really need to chase chicks right now.

If being a good cyclist helps you on this, then go for it.

When you're 35 you can still go for your first sub 3 Argus, but people will look at you funny if you're at the movies holding hands with a grade9 at that age (according to a friend of mine).

Chicks.

You really need to chase chicks right now.

If being a good cyclist helps you on this, then go for it.

When you're 35 you can still go for your first sub 3 Argus, but people will look at you funny if you're at the movies holding hands with a grade9 at that age (according to a friend of mine).

Hahaha lol.