947 Cycle Challenge 2019

Neville Bailey

I honestly don’t see any problem with the 40Km joining at 09:30. As you’ve said, the highway is wide, so there should be plenty space for all.

I agree with you but even with only the Normal long route doing the highway it is filled up from left to right at the time I normally am on that piece of highway, lets hope the balling helps. Frosty and all the other strong/experienced riders ride when the riders know to make a line/bunch to make use of slipstreaming, by the time, we(the masses) use it they(we) are all over the show, will have to wait and see on the day

• Replies 927
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

“My” race also has short distance turn right to merge with longer distance riders turning left. All this with 15Km to go, on a double lane rod closed to traffic.

Get everyone to come ride the Carnival City Macsteel National Classic and they can hone their skills for three weeks later.

“My” race also has short distance turn right to merge with longer distance riders turning left. All this with 15Km to go, on a double lane rod closed to traffic.

Get everyone to come ride the Carnival City Macsteel National Classic and they can hone their skills for three weeks later.

Just checked my ride from last year, if I do the same pace as last year and start at the same time it will be close. If I do mingle with the 40kayers it will be the sharp end of the field.

But the plan is to knock at least 30 minutes off last years time, so I should be ahead of them.

I am quite a bit from the sharp end, and was already at Kyalami by 09h30 last year. So I think it should not have a massive effect. Just as long as the fresh legs don't mind pulling up the M1.

Having done a number of double laps, we (club mates and me) often find ourselves among the slower riders from start to finish. Never once had it been a problem, except at the water point just before Sandton MediClinic (two lanes are quite narrow - in both the old route and the flipped route.

I would think about moving the water point to the wider section of the road just before the right turn onto Jan Smuts/Main.

As for the 40Km route, the water point on the R55 just before Heartbreak Hill is also quite narrow. The one further up the road before the left turn at Blue Hills is wide enough with the hard shoulder. It’s not bad to have to get off and push (for a stronger rider), but for the novices, it could become a talking point for post race complaints.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Guys and Girls

I am looking for a copy of last year's route in GPX format for our corporate team Garmin devises.

Does anybody know where I can download it?

Thx

S

So I have been training but not as much as I probably should be but still enjoying seeing how I have actually got a bit stronger.

Are the water points well stocked or should I carry my own things rather to be on the safe side?

So I have been training but not as much as I probably should be but still enjoying seeing how I have actually got a bit stronger.

Are the water points well stocked or should I carry my own things rather to be on the safe side?

It is very well stocked. You get Farbars, potato, sweets, coke, powerade, water etc. You can start with two bottles and just fill up. Carry your fav energy sachets or foods if you like so you don’t have to stop at every WP. After the M1 you also get guys dishing out tequila ????????

It is very well stocked. You get Farbars, potato, sweets, coke, powerade, water etc. You can start with two bottles and just fill up. Carry your fav energy sachets or foods if you like so you don’t have to stop at every WP. After the M1 you also get guys dishing out tequila ????????

Be on the look out for beer aswell, next year will be my next booze cruize if I do it again

Be on the look out for beer aswell, next year will be my next booze cruize if I do it again

For my 10th event, I hitched a half-wheeler (the kids bike, not the wheel sucker) to my MTB, with a case of beers in a cooler box mounted to a modified seat post. Had lots of people pushing, including my mates who drank all the beers (bar 2, which I had). Still ranks as my best ever ride.

Officially entered through WorldNet again for this year's incarnation. Did a 4h06 last year, really hoping I can manage enough training to get a sub-3h30. On my 15kg MTB with knobbies its going to take some doing, hopefully I can find a few groups to tag along with...

Or, just the fris bald oke I tagged behind on the M1 last year. Fris random road biker oke, I may not have thanked you in person, but sucking your wheel for the majority of the M1, sitting on the rivet the entire time, probably accounted for my time being much quicker than I planned. Thank you! I hope to find you and your impeccably sculpted calves once more on said highway!

Hello TyronLab

Might very likely have been Me.

I had a few Hangers on the road mentioned.

For my 10th event, I hitched a half-wheeler (the kids bike, not the wheel sucker) to my MTB, with a case of beers in a cooler box mounted to a modified seat post. Had lots of people pushing, including my mates who drank all the beers (bar 2, which I had). Still ranks as my best ever ride.

Please let me know when you gonna do it again, I will be one pushing for a beer or 2.