947 Cycle Challenge 2019

Neville Bailey

I have ZERO seeding, but was wondering if I could get a seeding by entering 1x race before the event?  Can this be done and if so which race and distance (in Gauteng) could qualify me for a better seeding.    I hate a late start time as with previous events and having to find my way between all the thousands of slower riders.

The three Racetec timed events left in GP before your window closes:

This weekend
Bestmed Cycle4Cansa Championship 2019

Sept:
Rand Water Race for Victory
Loskop Road Race

There might be other races, but they are not timed by Racetec, so you might get a 5 to 10point penalty loaded on your seeding. But it is still better than no seeding. Try to get 3 races in before the end of Sept.

• Replies 927
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Try to get 3 races in before the end of Sept.

Thanks!   

But 3 x is going to be impossible because I will be out of the country and I foresee only being able to do 1 of the races  mentioned above - the Rand Water race.  

Will there be any merit in doing only 1 x?     If not then I will just rather do my normal solo Sunday ride of 75 - 100 km's on that day.

I see on the 947 website it says races longer than 90km will improve seeding?

Input much appreciated  :thumbup:

Thanks!   

But 3 x is going to be impossible because I will be out of the country and I foresee only being able to do 1 of the races  mentioned above - the Rand Water race.  

Will there be any merit in doing only 1 x?     If not then I will just rather do my normal solo Sunday ride of 75 - 100 km's on that day.

I see on the 947 website it says races longer than 90km will improve seeding?

Input much appreciated  :thumbup:

In terms of bang-for-buck, I think you will be better served to then rather donate that money to a Charity of your choice that is doing the event and start with them in the earlier Charity batches, which is around 8AM IIRC.

Just my personal opinion

The 36T will kill you - you have 1000m of climbing within the first 40km if it was up to me, I will keep the 32 in the front. I ran a 34T oval with a 11-46 at the back and I felt it

I am also doing the race on my MTB this year. Doing a charity ride but don't really want to spend more than 4- 4:30 hours in the saddle

currently run a 1 X setup 32 front and 11-36 at the back.

I know I am going to spin out on the flats/downhills but the climbs might be a bit rough.

should I look at perhaps swapping the front for a 36T or would that kill me

The 36T will kill you - you have 1000m of climbing within the first 40km if it was up to me, I will keep the 32 in the front. I ran a 34T oval with a 11-46 at the back and I felt it

On road bikes (which I will grant you are a bit lighter and have less rolling resistance) the smallest gear up front will be a 34 but that's paired with a 25, 28 or 30 at the back. I'd say go for the 36. Even in 36-36 you'll have an easier gear than just about everyone who is on a road bike (although you do have the disadvantages I've mentioned above)

Edited by Jehosefat

@Marius please let me know how it goes with the 36T  :devil:

If you're feeling "strong" I will even be willing to place a bet on this one - I doubt that you'll do less than 04:30 with that config  :whistling:

T's & C's does apply, If you're Marius Froome or something crazy like that then I'm out  :thumbup:.

On road bikes (which I will grant you are a bit lighter and have less rolling resistance) the smallest gear up front will be a 34 but that's paired with a 25, 28 or 30 at the back. I'd say go for the 36. Even in 36-36 you'll have an easier gear than just about everyone who is on a road bike (although you do have the disadvantages I've mentioned above)

If you're feeling "strong" I will even be willing to place a bet on this one - I doubt that you'll do less than 04:30 with that config  :whistling:

T's & C's does apply, If you're Marius Froome or something crazy like that then I'm out  :thumbup:.

Like you said.........depends on how fit you are.

My surname is by far not related to Froome but I'll do 36T with knowbllies and get sub 3 on a good day.  

4:30..........I think it is doable.  

My surname is by far not related to Froome but I'll do 36T with knowbllies and get sub 3 on a good day.  

VanZweel, that you?

if you have seen any of "spinnekop's" times, you will not bet against him.

if you have seen any of "spinnekop's" times, you will not bet against him.

Not trying to be windgat though.   ^_^  :unsure: 

Just saying that if you put your mind to it, get your ducks in a row and train hard, the goal is achievable.   :thumbup:

Not windgat merely stating facts  :clap:. I don't believe I will be able to manage a 04:30 with that config  :thumbup:

Not trying to be windgat though.   ^_^  :unsure: 

Just saying that if you put your mind to it, get your ducks in a row and train hard, the goal is achievable.   :thumbup:

I'll let you know how it went. If I am not dead :P

If I don't get a 4:30 its ok no train smash

Eina......that's a big insult. :whistling:

Sorry for that, I just know how hard it is for a normal person on a MTB. I barely make sub3 on a road bike. Edited by Swift&Aero

Sometimes I just hate you.