947 Cycle Challenge 2019

Neville Bailey

Not trying to be windgat though. ^_^ :unsure:

Just saying that if you put your mind to it, get your ducks in a row and train hard, the goal is achievable. :thumbup:

Out of interest, what's your best time on 947? Sub 2h30?

• Replies 927
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

And on a bad day?  
You spend it on the back of a sweeper vehicle when you got dropped out of the bunch and the cars cannot wait for you.   :blush:  :lol:  :lol: 

Given that it was the year we had to do 200km in the "94.7" I was definitely not up to the task.   :(

2:12

Back in the day when the route was still easy. :D

2:29:04 avg for all 18 off them.

Was your fastest one in 2008 by any chance? Mine was 2:21 that year, and quicker than any other year by a good few minutes.

2:12

Back in the day when the route was still easy.   :D

2:29:04 avg for all 18 off them.  

Faaaaarrrr....

Yep, you should be able to do a sub 3 even on a BMX then. Muchos respect Oom Spinnekop! 

Was your fastest one in 2008 by any chance? Mine was 2:21 that year, and quicker than any other year by a good few minutes.

2008 was close yes.  2:16.  Why was the race that fast that year?  

2002 was my fastest.  Sucking wheel shamelessly on my Trek 5500 (and got dropped from the Elite bunch).  We finished on Kyalami that year and judging by the kiekies, we did it clockwise.

Maybe it was the secret socks that I wore that year?   :ph34r:

I am aiming for a 3:30 time with the 42 x 11-42 gravel frame- that is if I don't start in the 9:30 group, because then I will spend half my time on the brake levers to dodge the party people  :w00t:

My last participation was in 2011 on my 26" dual suspension with 3 x 9 and because I entered late , if I remember correctly my start group only took off around 9 am!  My time then was 4:15

In 2012 I got engaged and then married and started the baby making process.  I started riding my wife and not the bicycle and cycling events not a priority at all  :ph34r:

This year is my BIG comeback and I am aiming for position 6055 - that is if there are no e-bike cheaters  :blink:

2008 was close yes. 2:16. Why was the race that fast that year?

2002 was my fastest. Sucking wheel shamelessly on my Trek 5500 (and got dropped from the Elite bunch). We finished on Kyalami that year and judging by the kiekies, we did it clockwise.

Maybe it was the secret socks that I wore that year? :ph34r:

2002 was my first one, and I remember starting more than an hour after the Elites has finished.

I also remember in 2008 that we finished on the R55 compared to the uphill finish at the polo fields in 2007.

I am aiming for a 3:30 time with the 42 x 11-42 gravel frame- that is if I don't start in the 9:30 group, because then I will spend half my time on the brake levers to dodge the party people :w00t:

I’ve done quite a few double laps and have never had a problem with slower riders. There is sufficient space on the route to pass, and without having to be rude. Timing might be out on a few sweeping bends, requiring brakes, but then that will cost a few seconds rather than minutes.

There is sufficient space on the route to pass, and without having to be rude. 

I actually recall that I had to get off my bike to que in order to get past some of the crowded water points.

I actually recall that I had to get off my bike to que in order to get past some of the crowded water points.

either was a very hot year, was one of the few points on a narrow road (I recall a particular bar one point in Randburg somewhere) or a combination of both.

I find that 947 over all has much wider roads and less congestion than CTCT

I'm still not interested in doing a double (mainly because doing just one lap is hard enough for me)

I did a double lap one year....

200m into the 2nd lap, I was like:

I’ve had that feeling on lap 1 before (in fact twice), at the 40-odd Km mark, and said “never again”... 16 and 6 events later and I’m still doing it.