Towbar mounted bike racks on trailer

Sbloomer

Hi all

We have a camping trailer, on top of which I have a bike rack.  But our needs have changed such that we need to be able to use our normal towbar mounted bike rack (ride on type) when the trailer gets left behind at the camp site.

So the question is, has anyone attached a towbar mounted bike rack to the back of a trailer. Anything I need to consider?  Especially potential forces and vibrations when travelling on rough gravel roads?

Hi

I have also contemplated this.

See as some people managed to attach a second trailer surely the trailer frame structure will survive such a modification.

My concern would be the whiplash effect of mounting a rack behind the trailer. Then again some people mount bike behind a caravan.

I will keep an eye on this thread

Hi all

We have a camping trailer, on top of which I have a bike rack.  But our needs have changed such that we need to be able to use our normal towbar mounted bike rack (ride on type) when the trailer gets left behind at the camp site.

So the question is, has anyone attached a towbar mounted bike rack to the back of a trailer. Anything I need to consider?  Especially potential forces and vibrations when travelling on rough gravel roads?

The issue will be the weight of the bike rack so far back, this would lighten the tow ball weight. If you pack the trailer differently and more 'nose heavy' to equal this out. 

My FIL just lashes the towbar rack to the top of trailer. Worked for 8 years so far.

The issue will be the weight of the bike rack so far back, this would lighten the tow ball weight. If you pack the trailer differently and more 'nose heavy' to equal this out. 

My FIL just lashes the towbar rack to the top of trailer. Worked for 8 years so far.

Lashes the rack to the trailer with bikes in situ?

If the trailers chassis is strong enough at the back then you can drill two holes and mount another towball.

I still would not put bikes on the rack at the back if the roof rack on the lid is stil available. Using the rack at the back will create additional hassles, the bikes will obscure the lights, so you'll need a long trailer light extension to plug it into your bike rack, and moving the weight further back will mean the trailer needs to be packed differently to get the nose weight right, I reckon increase the nose weight to make up for the pendulum effect of added weight behind the axle.

I'd put the bike on the lid, and then just transport the empty towbar rack on the trailer.

Depends upon the trailer. Some of the better quality ones are designed to mount tow balls on the back of (eg Metalian). That and if it has adequate suspension and if you keep the trailer loaded nose weight around 75/80kg up to 100kg, you should have no issues.

Edited by MudLark

Don't do it, for the sake of your bikes. Especially if you plan to do dirt roads and even more so if you do bad dirt roads. Your bikes will be subjected to shaking many times worse than directly behind the car. The up and down as well as side to side movement is exaggerated at the back of the trailer. Furthermore, they will pick up twice the dirt and grime and wherever they are exposed, they will be pebble blasted.

Simply put the bikes on top of the trailer. If you have a roof top tent on there, then put the bikes on top of the car.

Wherever you put them, use straps to lash them down, over and above the normal bike rack fittings, when you do bad dirt roads. 

Personally, on bad dirt, I like my bikes high up on the roof. If you worry about forgetting about them and parking under a tree. Cable tie an old fishing rod to the front of the car to remind you until it is 2nd nature.

We asked our local engineering firm to make a bracket with a 2nd towbar attached to it which is then mounted above the existing towbar (sorry can't post a pic at the moment but let me know if you're interested).

Advantage: Bike is clearly visible in rearview mirror so can see if any problems and weight distribution is best for towing

Only disadvantage is if we are turning in an extremely tight circle because one of the wheels touches the nosecone of the trailer.

Why not mount a towbar to the front side of the trailer above the A frame. That way the rack will not be subject to the same forces as if it were at the back. May be a bit high but hey.

I have tried every possible permutation of it in every possible situation, over many a year, believe me!

post-17716-0-67603300-1564400457_thumb.jpg

post-17716-0-41908100-1564400888_thumb.jpg

post-17716-0-06539500-1564401154_thumb.jpg

Edited by DJR

DJR has a good point. I would be comfortable doing it with the trailer being used on reasonable tar roads; on extremely bad dirt roads, I would definitely think again about it.

Alternatively invest in the Holdfast SA2018 as it connects to a plate that sits behind your existing towball, allowing you to tow trailers, caravans, etc. It sits proud so generally does not interfere with the turning circle of the trailer, but in some cases we have had customers utilise their drop plates (upwards) to give them piece of mind. 

https://www.holdfast.co.za/collections/all-bike-products/products/sa2018-4-bike

We asked our local engineering firm to make a bracket with a 2nd towbar attached to it which is then mounted above the existing towbar (sorry can't post a pic at the moment but let me know if you're interested).

Advantage: Bike is clearly visible in rearview mirror so can see if any problems and weight distribution is best for towing

Only disadvantage is if we are turning in an extremely tight circle because one of the wheels touches the nosecone of the trailer.

Alternatively invest in the Holdfast SA2018 as it connects to a plate that sits behind your existing towball, allowing you to tow trailers, caravans, etc. It sits proud so generally does not interfere with the turning circle of the trailer, but in some cases we have had customers utilise their drop plates (upwards) to give them piece of mind. 

https://www.holdfast.co.za/collections/all-bike-products/products/sa2018-4-bike

But then the bikes dingle dangle.