New brakes for trail hardtail (Cura vs Guide vs Shimano)

Falling Over

I cannot subscribe to the concept that overkill is not acceptable. Overkill and overdo should be the norm and the standard. Anything that is not overdone (except beef) is not done to a sufficient level.

As stated previously, 4 piston cool. 6 pistons; when do we get them? 8 pistons should be mandatory.

I have a friend who would beg to differ when he used his Saints as panic levers in the air and landed with non spinning wheels which resulted in a nasty OTB and injuries. But then again he wasn’t used to so much power in his hands

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a friend who would beg to differ when he used his Saints as panic levers in the air and landed with non spinning wheels which resulted in a nasty OTB and injuries. But then again he wasn’t used to so much power in his hands

Even little two pots would have stopped those wheels in the air.

Stupid is as stupid does.

I'll keep my Shimano 4-pots thanks.

sounds like user error to me...can't blame the brakes  :ph34r:

Panic braking will discipline the unwary..... 

Hope have made 6 pot brakes and mentioned last year with 29er Dh bikes they are discussing the possibility of starting to prototype again with a modern 6 pot hope brake

Unfortunately I haven't seen anything related to this from them again

I see bigger rotors, 6pot brakes, and integrated heatsinks in the future.

The heat sinks will be something that form part of the caliper or mount.

But then again, how long before the slave pistons and braking surface gets bigger (they are pretty narrow now) to increase power again? Or will that be increased power at the cost of modulation?

What a time to be alive!

Edited by PhilipV

I cannot subscribe to the concept that overkill is not acceptable. Overkill and overdo should be the norm and the standard. Anything that is not overdone (except beef) is not done to a sufficient level.  

Agreed. My general motto is "If it's worth doing, it's worth overdoing"  :thumbup:

• 2 years later...

Thread revival here.

Sram guides RS or Formula cura 4 pots or anything on same or better level,  inputs please. I can't find shimano 4 pots in my budget 

I have read up so much on these, even shimano and do many mix reviews.

Looking good bite, modulation and not needed being bled every 2months.

R5000 budget

Will be running 200 rotors front 180 back

1 hour ago, BaGearA said:

Cura no doubt 

Shot alot, this what I need solid confirmation man.

Very impressed with cura 2 pots. And I'm heavy. More power and modulation than my previous fancy hope tech3 e4s. 

Only look a bit bland.