running watch

Stevief

Training for my first marathon i need a watch for my heartrate, minutes per km , distance etc.

What do you guys recommend?

And no i dont want an iwatch.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

How long do you need the battery to last? I mean if I was to run a marathon my battery would have to last a couple of days in GPS mode  :D

Also what shape do you like i.e. round vs square? 

Do you like a specific brand? 

Then lastly, if you have the answers to the above your next stop needs to be DC Rainmaker, he is the man when it comes to anything techy. He does proper reviews and you can get very good insight from his reviews: https://www.dcrainmaker.com/

Fore runner 735 , it's crazy capable and will not let you down if you later decide to do marathons regularly or even tri events

1. What is your budget?

2. Are you wanting to wear this watch for anything else besides running? Other sports or socially?

3. All your running outside? Anything on treadmills?

1. What is your budget? Approx 3k

2. Are you wanting to wear this watch for anything else besides running? Other sports or socially? No

3. All your running outside? Yes Anything on treadmills?

No

Looks like the forerunner 35 for the win for R2600 it’s perfect for my needs. The fenix 5 is tempting as a multi sport device but I have a cycling garmin so probably overkill

Are you trying to run a marathon or run a marathon fast?

I just ask because I run lots of marathons, sometimes fast, 100km, 100milers, various ultras etc and I only wear a 'fancy' watch when a gps and pre loaded route is mandatory gear.

If you train properly you don't need a watch. It might save you some bucks and make you less reliant on 'data' and better conditioned in the long run.

But that's just me. I'm not a data person, more a 'do the basics, learn to feel how the body feels and trust my base' type.

It gets me on the front page of the results fee at most Ultra trails and a comfortable 3:30 marathon.

Forerunner much nicer if only for running. Much lighter and depending on the model it’s often referred to as the “plastic” Fenix anyway. You won’t go wrong with a Forerunner. Varied results when using optical HR so maybe keep that in mind. Best reviews are on DCRainmaker. So as you narrow down your options go and read his “in-depth reviews”, you won’t be disappointed with the detail he goes into.

Has anybody mentioned the Forerunner yet [emoji23]. Seriously I am extremely happy with my 935. Am looking at maybe getting a 35 for the wife

I've got a FR 35. It's a decent little watch, true doesn't have the fancier features but it does the basics very well.

I used the FR30 for a long time for running only, and it worked just fine. Then I saw a Vivoactive HR (older model) brand new on special at Totalsports for R1800 marked down from R4999 and bought it. Wow what a watch, maybe older but way more feature than watches double that price :ph34r:

Hi, I have a fr35 and a tomtom multi sport with heartrate.

I use my tomtom much more than the garmin. I also just want pace and distance and heartrate for data after the run. The tomtom is plain and simple and easy to adjust while running. If you keep your eyes on the classifieds you can get a cheap tomtom.

Battery life for the tomtom is also much better.

Unfortunately they are discontinued and only available second hand.