These nice things can be testy ....

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, MORNE said:

….i hate internal routing

Internal cable routing is one thing, but just imagine the disappointment when you see a frame with internal routing already fitted only to find out after shaking it that you're going to have to add some padding :blink:

I hate internal routing through headsets, even more stupid on gravel/MTB.

Just wait for the bill when all you need o do is replace the headset bearing. 

3 hours ago, RobertWhitehead said:

Internal cable routing is one thing, but just imagine the disappointment when you see a frame with internal routing already fitted only to find out after shaking it that you're going to have to add some padding :blink:

Exactly this. 

10 hours ago, RobertWhitehead said:

I'm in the process of doing a 1x conversion and yanked out the front derailer cable along with its padding. Hopefully it won't result in rattles from the remaining cables.

13 hours ago, RobertWhitehead said:

9 hours ago, MORNE said:

Exactly this. 

Split the foam tube and tape it back together over the cable while feeding it in through the cable port.

You're welcome.

1 minute ago, droo said:

Split the foam tube and tape it back together over the cable while feeding it in through the cable port.

You're welcome.

if you selling the bike soon then some expanding spray foam does the job as well apparently

25 minutes ago, dave303e said:

if you selling the bike soon then some expanding spray foam does the job as well apparently

Just remember a little goes a long way...

6 minutes ago, droo said:

Just remember a little goes a long way...

I will adjust the font to comic sans now quickly

Couple of tips from a backyard mechanic on internal cables 

Use a vacuum cleaner to pull a thread through the frame and pull the cable through with it. You may have to tape closed some of the other holes in the frame to get good suction.

To dampen the rattle from internal housing get hold of some NERF darts from a toy shop. R100 for 20. Cut the tips off and thread on. If the cables/hoses are already in place split and tape as Droo suggested.IMG_20240307_095417.jpg.91ce5a9bdfe2e99bf03e86780596599f.jpg

44 minutes ago, droo said:

You're welcome.

I know this trick, doesn't make it any less of a ball ache though. Especially if there are internal ported sections that wont take foam. Anyway, i got mine quiet after 3 weeks of it sounding like a sack of bolts. And it sounds so much worse inside carbon. I also just still don’t like the fact that i have to cut a brake hose if i wanted to tinker with parts (which i do a lot)….or bleed the rear brake property without mounting the bike in some kind of akward position😅

2 minutes ago, MORNE said:

I know this trick, doesn't make it any less of a ball ache though. Especially if there are internal ported sections that wont take foam. Anyway, i got mine quiet after 3 weeks of it sounding like a sack of bolts. And it sounds so much worse inside carbon. I also just still don’t like the fact that i have to cut a brake hose if i wanted to tinker with parts (which i do a lot)….or bleed the rear brake property without mounting the bike in some kind of akward position😅

The second part of this trick is to put a bit of SRAM butter on the cable before you start.

But I agree, internal cable routing is a massive hack. You probably haven't even encountered the handlebar to stem to headset version yet, so the best is yet to come for you. New headset bearing? Cheers, you'll be replacing a brake hose and gear cables too.

But it looks cool, so it sells. Most people don't think of the increased cost of maintenance when looking at these things, so they just buy the one that looks best (all other things being equal-ish)

4 minutes ago, droo said:

The second part of this trick is to put a bit of SRAM butter on the cable before you start.

But I agree, internal cable routing is a massive hack. You probably haven't even encountered the handlebar to stem to headset version yet, so the best is yet to come for you. New headset bearing? Cheers, you'll be replacing a brake hose and gear cables too.

But it looks cool, so it sells. Most people don't think of the increased cost of maintenance when looking at these things, so they just buy the one that looks best (all other things being equal-ish)

Which is why I like what GG did with their frames and routing. The only place I prefer internal is for dropper posts.

Guerrilla Gravity Introduces U.S. Made Revved Carbon Frames

2 minutes ago, MrJacques said:

Which is why I like what GG did with their frames and routing. The only place I prefer internal is for dropper posts.

Guerrilla Gravity Introduces U.S. Made Revved Carbon Frames

Thats nice. I imagine that's a faceplate sitting in a  channel in the frame? As in when removing you are not just looking at the i side of the downtube. Then on the back it, or in the channel you would have clips holding the hoses/cable housings in place. Thats how i would do it anyway. Best of both worlds. 

1 minute ago, MORNE said:

Thats nice. I imagine that's a faceplate sitting in a  channel in the frame? As in when removing you are not just looking at the i side of the downtube. Then on the back it, or in the channel you would have clips holding the hoses/cable housings in place. Thats how i would do it anyway. Best of both worlds. 

Yes. Would probably be a little more difficult to do with an alu frame.

Revved frame cable management. | Mountain Bike Reviews Forum

1 minute ago, MrJacques said:

Yes. Would probably be a little more difficult to do with an alu frame.

Revved frame cable management. | Mountain Bike Reviews Forum

This gives me an pseudo-OCD fuzzy feeling in my naughty place…

Edited by MORNE