EBike - which one???

tomsegon

Hi All,

Looking for a bit of advice on ebikes.

My mother at the age of 67 is starting to cycle. All very amped to get her going. Looking at an ebike for her, but not really sure of the main things to look for.

Have narrowed down to the Liv Valle 3 and the silverback of similar price, both around 36 to 40 depending on where it is bought from.

Is there anything major of difference between these two?

Thanks

Ask what color she likes best.

Buy here a bicycle in that color. Something 'cheap' to get eased into the sport. Find out what she actually likes (might be different to what you like!)

The last you want it your mom going to fast on a e(motor)bike and break something. Bones heal really slowly at this age.

He says " My mother at the age of 67 is starting to cycle."   The statement implies that it is already happening.    

My mom is 70 and if she was to only start cycling  now I would not put her on a e-bike - an adult balance bike would probably be better suited :blush: ?  But that is my mom and she hasn't been on a bike since 50 years ago!

I therefore assume that the OP's mother does have some cycling experience and is currently riding something?  But he would like to get her an alternative bike to motivate the efforts.  So my question is what is she currently riding on or did she ride on?

Apologies for the ambiguity - she is starting to take up cycling again. Has not ridden for ages, tested out a friends ebike and manged it pretty much ok without falling.

Thanks for all the feedback - it will be a bit of riding through our suburban areas, (George - so nice and quiet) and possibly some farm roads over the weekends.

Would not let her out on her own should something happen/ go wrong.

Certainly no races planned .... yet at least.

Its all to get fit and out there, plus a bit of training for a New Zealand wine cycle tour next year.

Again - thanks for the info and feedback - much appreciated

Safe riding

You said she wants to get into cycling. If that is the case get her a bicycle. What's the point of getting her an eBike that is going to do all the work for her?

She will get so much more benefit from riding a proper bicycle. She will get fitter and strengthen muscles that a person her age needs to strengthen. None of this will happen on an eBike.

I know plenty of people her age that only started then and are really enjoying the benefits. If she is only going to do suburban areas, then a normal bike is the way to go.

If she wants something that will do the work for her, I suggest a Honda NS125. It's cheaper to buy, cheaper to maintain and she'll look cool in a leather jacket on the trails. 

You said she wants to get into cycling. If that is the case get her a bicycle. What's the point of getting her an eBike that is going to do all the work for her?

She will get so much more benefit from riding a proper bicycle. She will get fitter and strengthen muscles that a person her age needs to strengthen. None of this will happen on an eBike.

I know plenty of people her age that only started then and are really enjoying the benefits. If she is only going to do suburban areas, then a normal bike is the way to go.

If she wants something that will do the work for her, I suggest a Honda NS125. It's cheaper to buy, cheaper to maintain and she'll look cool in a leather jacket on the trails. 

All of it will happen on an Ebike

Ignorance is bliss :thumbup:

So ... what a great objective view and understanding of how e-bikes can be of value to - and bring enjoyment to people who would otherwise maybe not even consider to get on a bicycle?  

Ouma het besluit sy laaik hierdie bicycle wat haar so lekker vinnig laat ry en haar sommer 50 jaar jonger laat voel - wind deur die hare en al!  :clap:    +1 for e-bikes!

Everything in this post is literally BS. Sit down.

Everything in this post is literally BS. Sit down.

Not really I find. 

To buy an assisted bike for cycling beginner in this age will demote the drive to get fitter and gain strength within the limits of your ability, simply because the bike will not be ridden to its potential. 

And, unless she (or you) belong to the group of financially unconcerned, to purchase such an expensive device from a pension sounds highly irresponsible.

Hi All,

Looking for a bit of advice on ebikes.

My mother at the age of 67 is starting to cycle. All very amped to get her going. Looking at an ebike for her, but not really sure of the main things to look for.

Have narrowed down to the Liv Valle 3 and the silverback of similar price, both around 36 to 40 depending on where it is bought from.

Is there anything major of difference between these two?

Thanks

A good medical aid plan