Afordable MTB gloves

phenning

The general rule is if you cant find something where you normally look, look further. Have a look at some motorbike shops, more precise the ones who are into offroad bikes. You will be surprised what you find there. My favourites are THOR and FLY RACING gloves. And most cases they are cheaper than MTB gloves.

Good point. Trac Mac in Paarden Eiland had some nice Leatt gloves. Can't recall the price now though but they were definitely less than R500.

I buy Fly racing F16 gloves, last time I bought I paid R449 a pair if not to much mistaken, got them at Moto Mate in Edenvale

The FARR long finger gloves are 250-275 zar... I have a set of Titan gloves that cost <200 zar..

Both work, both seem to last pretty well and I am not that kind on equipment.

IMHO if you fall you fall and most gloves will tear if you stack palm down. (Terrible technique)...

Give them a go

Edited by Jewbacca

ride without gloves, if you put your hand out to break your fall you will break scaphoids and other such irritating little bones or worse a wrist or two. This is mtb not mx/enduro so you don't need gloves to stop your palms getting shredded when riding. 

Thanks for the replys, I use gloves because my hand swat alot and without gloves the grips just get to slipery.

ride without gloves, if you put your hand out to break your fall you will break scaphoids and other such irritating little bones or worse a wrist or two. This is mtb not mx/enduro so you don't need gloves to stop your palms getting shredded when riding. 

I disagree partially.

You are correct ito wrist injury (had a scaphoid fracture - a biaaattcchhh to get healed) 

However, having dirt road rash on top of a wrist injury is not nice.. specially if you have to wear a brace on top of it.

Gloves also great for added grip on hot days.

I got some Leatt DBX gloves on special from Pinned.co.za 

They are ok-ish. The gripe I have is that they go high up on the wrist, which is crappy if one wears a watch. 

Best gloves I have had was some Giro ones (not sure what model). Some palm padding adding comfort, and vented mesh in front. They have a very thight fit, so I suggest fitting before buying.

Got some gloves in this year's S2C, and they are pretty rad.

Edited by RocknRolla

Got some gloves in this year's S2C, and they are pretty rad.

I find the blue Giro ones we got in the box horrific.  Wore them once, gave them away.

Best gloves I've had were some DaKine ones but they seem to have dropped out of the market here. Down to my last pair and have some Leatt ones that I'm not exactly amped about. really high cuffs and a load of armour gel stuff on the knuckles that looks very hardcore but not sure how much protection it's give. Would prefer a thicker palm and top to be honest. 

I baulk a bit at paying R500 for gloves as more often than not they start coming apart after some hard riding. Had a recent pair that the palms were cactus after 1 shuttle day and the thread was coming apart on the fingers. 

My go-to gloves are the Specialized LoDown - brilliant at R445

2nd this, but now about R490 a pair

The general rule is if you cant find something where you normally look, look further. Have a look at some motorbike shops, more precise the ones who are into offroad bikes. You will be surprised what you find there. My favourites are THOR and FLY RACING gloves. And most cases they are cheaper than MTB gloves.

best advise ever, I was amazed by what you find at the motorbike shops, got a pair at our local shop for something like R120, as well as some very nice "buffs" for R60! have a look on the mx web sites, most actually have a mtb menu

best advise ever, I was amazed by what you find at the motorbike shops, got a pair at our local shop for something like R120, as well as some very nice "buffs" for R60! have a look on the mx web sites, most actually have a mtb menu

Any recommendations? Not really up with the online MX world except Mac Rac.