The Munga 2019

Ramrod

• Replies 986
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Made a little video for all the dot watchers, and myself :ph34r:

Captured most of The Munga Facebook videos and edited it into a full one hour video, as soon as there's a gap in the load shedding schedule (all the video clips is 9GB and took a week to capture from FB and put together) I'll upload it and post the link here.

Made a little video for all the dot watchers, and myself :ph34r:

Captured most of The Munga Facebook videos and edited it into a full one hour video, as soon as there's a gap in the load shedding schedule (all the video clips is 9GB and took a week to capture from FB and put together) I'll upload it and post the link here.

Just a note of thanks. Awesome to see it from the outside

I scratched @875km WP9 (LR). My lezyne read 51 max and 8 min. Rode with mady for a long time, we even shared a balcony at 1 am in Fraserburg. ask her about the space blanket. (iron Lady)

https://www.strava.com/activities/2920374782/analysis

the race at the front is far different than the race at the back.

WP, RV, Conditions temperature etc etc.

Am I sad of 875km? NO. you have to ride it to understand it.

Could I finish, Yes, in the cut off No

Did I want to finish? Hell yea!

Was it safe for me to finish? No

There comes a moment when you know.

you can not explain it,

you can not understand it,

you can only accept it.

It is a week later, and I can only count to 4 on my toes :) and 3 in my hands.

I owe 199km in 2020 and debts must be paid in full.

Well done all that started.....

I scratched @875km WP9 (LR). My lezyne read 51 max and 8 min. Rode with mady for a long time, we even shared a balcony at 1 am in Fraserburg. ask her about the space blanket. (iron Lady)

you can not explain it,

you can only accept it.

That is epic. Well done.

you can not explain it,

you can only accept it.

Well Done, that is still flipping amazing. I am sure if thew heat wasn't so extreme, you would have klapped it 

Also a failed first attempt but not due to the body/mind failing. Mine was purely a comedy of errors and mechanical failure.

Will definitely try to be back for 2020, this time a little bit wiser I hope.

we're going to need more detail on that one...comedy of errors always makes great race reports!

we're going to need more detail on that one...comedy of errors always makes great race reports!

Started off at 7am realising I had left my HR strap at home. Managed to buy one from a local shop.

Then as I was checking my bike (at about 11am)  I realised I had brought the wrong cable to charge my Garmin. Ran around and found a bike mechanic with a Samsung cable that just happened to work.

Then between 2-10kms I lost my Exposure light (it cost me about R8k a few years back)

At about 40kms I realised things were harder than they should be and found my front brake was binding. Tried to reset it but it didn't work so I took the caliper off.

But the nail in the coffin was after WP1 i somehow manage to blow a seal in my rear shock. Tried to pump it but it would hold air.   

After all that I decided to call it!

Edited by Ramrod

Started off at 7am realising I had left my HR strap at home. Managed to buy one from a local shop.

Then as I was checking my bike (at about 11am)  I realised I had brought the wrong cable to charge my Garmin. Ran around and found a bike mechanic with a Samsung cable that just happened to work.

Then between 2-10kms I lost my Exposure light (it cost me about R8k a few years back)

At about 40kms I realised things were harder than they should be and found my front brake was binding. Tried to reset it but it didn't work so I took the caliper off.

But the nail in the coffin was after WP1 i somehow manage to blow a seal in my rear shock. Tried to pump it but it would hold air.   

i was lucky. after full service and check discovered my bb was shot, my bike was on the stand 1 hour before start waiting for new bb.

anyone else still has a dead hand or cycling palsy as it is called

Def pretty normal and to be expected. Think mine took around 6 or 8 weeks after last year. Longer events I've suffered it for up to double that time. It should pass eventually given time.

Edit: - keep an eye on your finger and toenails too. If you really hammered your body into the ground, you'll find an amusing line start to grow out in your nails which marks your body's depletion during & post event. It's quite amusing, and a reminder for a few months.

Edited by walkerr

After so much time and money invested into an event like this I guess after all that you can only laugh. Glad you saw the comedy in it and are positive to give it another go. We live and learn. Next year you will get that medal.

Def pretty normal and to be expected. Think mine took around 6 or 8 weeks after last year. Longer events I've suffered it for up to double that time. It should pass eventually given time.

Edit: - keep an eye on your finger and toenails too. If you really hammered your body into the ground, you'll find an amusing line start to grow out in your nails which marks your body's depletion during & post event. It's quite amusing, and a reminder for a few months.

WOW this is interesting. Going to google it. Keen to read up and see why/how it happens.