Specialized to Trek or?

Craig Foot

This is not a brand bash, but I currently have own a Spez Camber and now doing longer rides (Dr Evil, Tankwa, J2C etc) and have been wondering if it is the right bike for the type of riding I enjoy.

It also seems quite expensive to maintain via a Spez dealer.

I have been exploring options and Trek seem to have the Fuel range if I understand correctly that is suited to my needs, but I have no other knowledge of Trek.

Has anyone moved from Spez to Trek, or what bike do you suggest that is not top end budget.

Components are components I guess (Shimano, Sram etc), so I’m guessing it’s frame design and warranties, after sales service (costs and just being looked after as a customer).

I look forward to your suggestions/advice

Thanks

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Both are great for what you're doing, if you want to change I'd have a keen look at the Stump jumper ST or the new fuel

Both have around 120mm travel while keeping very racey geo

And they don't have proprietary parts which is fantastic

Personally I'd go for the stump jumper all day

You are in Blouberg, there is both a spaz and trekkie dealer in the area that can give you good service ... so that is a good start.

Both Trek and Spaz now offer lifetime warranties on their frames ... so bonus.

Spaz though have started to offer the origional owner a lifetime warranty on their Roval wheels too ... so that is lekker ... they also offer a very decent crash replacement discount and have brought in a further incentive with new bikes that for the first two years the origional owner will receive free shock services ... you pop into the store, drop off your shock and they fit a loan unit for you so that you are not without and bike and swap it out again when yours is returned from the service....go chat to Michael and Cycles Direct RE this if you want the finer details.

I got close to buying a Spaz now recently before finding my current bike.

Oh, if you sell your bike on the second owner will carry on with a warranty that is valid for 2 years from the date of purchase ... you just need to pass over your origional proof of payment.

I also really like the look of the trek but the dual bottle cage in frame and not behind seat might swing me towards a bike that offers that. Not a must for some but a nice option to have when doing stage races and need that extra fuel and not having to worry about bottles bouncing out. Currently on a TB2

Trek Top Fuel 2020 model would be the best option. Very stable but with good agility when needed.

But I don't think either can hang with the yeti sb100 or intense Sniper trail....

Te SB and sniper are in another price league?

Te SB and sniper are in another price league?

Sniper frame is R40k from trail tech.

the trek is R10k more.

as a complete bike with similar spec pricing would be similar.

I had spez camber carbon for 4 years . I loved that bike I rode it to death .Then got a trek fuel ex. Trek is better in every dept.

Better because it is a four year newer bike with modern geometry, suspension and components or what other way is the trek so much better in every department by?

Trek all the way. For the type of riding you are describing the 2020 Top Fuel hands down. Better geometry (that can be changed via mino link as well) , the lifetime warrantee is far superior these days with Trek being direct and its just a better looking bike in my opinion.

Trek all the way. For the type of riding you are describing the 2020 Top Fuel hands down. Better geometry (that can be changed via mino link as well) , the lifetime warrantee is far superior these days with Trek being direct and its just a better looking bike in my opinion.

I do agree with looks......Trek just looks like a classic and clean mountainbike

Sniper frame is R40k from trail tech.

the trek is R10k more.

as a complete bike with similar spec pricing would be similar.

R40k? For a 2019 frameset? That seems very cheap, especially compared to international pricing.

R40k? For a 2019 frameset? That seems very cheap, especially compared to international pricing.

Distributorship changing hands as far as I know - so maybe some clearance specials?