Bike Test Drive

OemD

Yeah Ouzo I agree the risk is definitely there, but there are also ways around this.

Think Test Days, or letting potential customers join rides where they are in essence chaperoned while testing the bikes.

I simply cannot comprehend spending R50k plus on something I have not at least ridden on the type of terrain I will be using it on.

Must be tough to own a bike shop though, bikes are getting more and more expensive, potential customer want to try before they buy, so they must have extra bikes they will later have to sell as demo's at lower cost further impacting their profit. I'll keep my day job tnx

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm sure you can also understand the retailers point of view with this.

Cars get stolen more often than you think during test drives, can you imagine how easy it would be to take a bike.

Yes there should be some sort of mitigation put in place to lessen the loss, but its still risky business.

This is so key, and all too often these cases are not covered by insurances and/or are prohibitively costly to the business to accomodate.

Hijack

Dear OP

Please edit your topic heading, my inner pedantic half is about to tilt

Test RIDE

not

Test drive

Thanks

Bijack

Would an E-bike be classified as a ride or a drive :whistling:

Yeah Ouzo I agree the risk is definitely there, but there are also ways around this.

Think Test Days, or letting potential customers join rides where they are in essence chaperoned while testing the bikes.

I simply cannot comprehend spending R50k plus on something I have not at least ridden on the type of terrain I will be using it on.

Must be tough to own a bike shop though, bikes are getting more and more expensive, potential customer want to try before they buy, so they must have extra bikes they will later have to sell as demo's at lower cost further impacting their profit. I'll keep my day job tnx

bike shops need to change their business model to be closer to motorcycle/motocar dealerships in terms of how they keep stock.

they will need to somehow incorporate demos

Hijack

Dear OP

Please edit your topic heading, my inner pedantic half is about to tilt

Test RIDE

not

Test drive

Thanks

Bijack

Thank you.

I'm sure you can also understand the retailers point of view with this.

Cars get stolen more often than you think during test drives, can you imagine how easy it would be to take a bike.

Yes there should be some sort of mitigation put in place to lessen the loss, but its still risky business.

I fully understand the risk for the retailer. This is where the supplier should help the retailer and have bikes available as demo's. How often to we buy cars without a test drive (test ride)?

As a customer, I will be willing to contribute to the shipping cost (if needed). I want the item but I am reluctant to part with me money without knowing.

Just FYI.

Bike Addict in Malmesbury was eager to arrange a limited test drive/ride. They only have new bikes available but the salesperson was open to allow me to use the bike in the parking lot and streets around the shop. So Kudo's to them.

Velosport in Paarl, salesperson is following up with supplier for demo's, at his cost. KUDO's.

Giant Durbanville, salesperson is following up with supplier for demo's. kudo's

Few more shops I still have to visit/ have to come back to me.

No shop has rejected the request. 

I see in some countries they have bike demo days at dedicated trails, and have people pay (e.g. R500) for the day to demo multiple bikes from different brands and get a few beers afterwards.

It is not rocket science. You would think in this economy people would do more to achieve that sale.

Giant Durbanville 

Spezialized off Durban road in Bellville

YES, some paperwork involved.  But they do do test rides.

and yes, also Bike Addict

Cant remember which shop it was here in JHB, but they had a TREK demo day at Modderfontein, it was free, had loads of different bikes in all the different sizes. Was a good day out, the only thing they should/could have changed was to have a shorter trail to ride so you could test more bikes

You can rent bikes so surely you could demo one. Block 10k on the credit card like for car rentals

O-yes .... Best Bikes have a satelite shop at Bloemendal, where you can rent a variety of bikes.  Pretty sure you could speak to them about a demo/rental unit .... think they do Trek and Signal bikes.