Commuting with MTB - Is a spare wheelset worth it?

PjT

Ride with Maxxis crossmark tyres at 2.5 Bar during the week ,then deflate on dirt .They don,t wear and you can get out of the traffic and on to dirt easily on your commute

I also have two sets of wheels for my one bike, one with off road tires and one with slicks.  And I can just swap my wheels, no adjustment needed.

So, the answer is yes.

We are diverging from the OP's question (it is Friday after all) but it would be interesting to see how many hub commuters use road bikes vs mtbs. I commute with my road bike every now and then but I generally prefer the reliance and versatility of my old mtb. No punctures, no problem when the traffic forces you into pieces of glass or other obstacles & easy to hop on & off the pavement when necessary. Guess it depends on route & personal preference

I haven't even considered these types of issues. I only have a mountain bike and used to commute with it, the road bike option was an attractive option to reduce wear on my mountain bike and hopefully cut down on travel time.

What he says.

You can have an old classic road bike in great condition which will make an excellent commuter for as little as R3 - 4000. If you want to clean up and repair it yourself, perhaps as low as R1500? It will be reliable, but unattractive to thieves. Look for old SA made names like Alpina, Lejeune, Hansom, Peaugeot etc. Also, you will get your money back when you sell it. Even make a profit.

Road Bike option:

Yes, I did consider this. But I don't like the geometry and seating position of a road bike that much.

So my idea was to get an old Roadie, put my spare straight bar on there, and mayb a "not so road bike" tyre, ans off you go. Then I thought about the shifters that would either still be o nthe frame below, or on the brakelevers, which make converting it to straight bar bit schlep.

I did a Google, and read on other forums that the majority people say take a MTB and put other wheels and even old rigid fork, it is easier (and nicer riding position) than taking a roadie and converting that.

or something like this ... then upgrade the tires to tubeless .. 40C or 45C

https://www.gumtree.co.za/a-road-bikes/bellville/gravel-bike/1005599140350910786180909

Tubeless is a blessing when commuting. ;)

That is  a nice once, but frame much too small. I need a XL (22" ) at least.

Current Hardtail is a XXL (23").

We are diverging from the OP's question (it is Friday after all) but it would be interesting to see how many hub commuters use road bikes vs mtbs. I commute with my road bike every now and then but I generally prefer the reliance and versatility of my old mtb. No punctures, no problem when the traffic forces you into pieces of glass or other obstacles & easy to hop on & off the pavement when necessary. Guess it depends on route & personal preference

Route is mostly tar, however I do go off the road at times (where there are "voetpaadjies") to use as single track ;-) But going off the tar adds some time to the trip, and when I want to get from A-B in shortest time staying on the tar is key.

On days when I feel like having some fun too, I will take the MTB tyres ;-)

Saw those, very nice, but alas. 

The Legs are def not yet ready to take on these hills on a single speed.

Have seen some of these, and considered to take one ans convert to 1x 10, but don;t know how easy that  would be.  Option maybe?  As I do like these bikes' styling.

And when the legs are stronger, go back to SS maybe?

Road Bike option:

Yes, I did consider this. But I don't like the geometry and seating position of a road bike that much.

So my idea was to get an old Roadie, put my spare straight bar on there, and mayb a "not so road bike" tyre, ans off you go. Then I thought about the shifters that would either still be o nthe frame below, or on the brakelevers, which make converting it to straight bar bit schlep.

I did a Google, and read on other forums that the majority people say take a MTB and put other wheels and even old rigid fork, it is easier (and nicer riding position) than taking a roadie and converting that.

That is  a nice once, but frame much too small. I need a XL (22" ) at least.

Current Hardtail is a XXL (23").

Route is mostly tar, however I do go off the road at times (where there are "voetpaadjies") to use as single track ;-) But going off the tar adds some time to the trip, and when I want to get from A-B in shortest time staying on the tar is key.

On days when I feel like having some fun too, I will take the MTB tyres ;-)

Saw those, very nice, but alas. 

The Legs are def not yet ready to take on these hills on a single speed.

Have seen some of these, and considered to take one ans convert to 1x 10, but don;t know how easy that  would be.  Option maybe?  As I do like these bikes' styling.

And when the legs are stronger, go back to SS maybe?

Try riding your commute in one gear on your current setup and you might surprise yourself, or convince yourself that single speed is not for you. :devil:

Try riding your commute in one gear on your current setup and you might surprise yourself, or convince yourself that single speed is not for you. :devil:

Haha!! Believe you me, I use those gears plenty on the uphills.  :wacko:

Go buy an old Alpina or so with shifters on downtube. So much fun and far less hassle than . changing wheel-sets every weekend. Also less hassle if you need to park it outside, U lock through frame, rear wheel and stationery object and another lock from front wheel to u lock and you sorted. 

Go buy an old Alpina or so with shifters on downtube. So much fun and far less hassle than . changing wheel-sets every weekend. Also less hassle if you need to park it outside, U lock through frame, rear wheel and stationery object and another lock from front wheel to u lock and you sorted. 

I bought cheap old Peugeot bicycle for R1350 and changed to single speed. 

Less wear and tear.  Lekker. 

I saw a guy selling an old Peugot (shorting a wheel) a Le Jeune (complete) and what looks like kids raleigh 24" MTB for R2500 neg.

Was tempted, but surely there will be couple of extra bucks to spend for TLC.

And just to add more spice to the pot...maybe open a whole new discussion (or can of worms?)

Last night on my way home I thought, what about a SS, but with 2x chainrings up front. one for straights and downhill, and another for uphill. Simple.

Check this beauty: https://forums.roadbikereview.com/fixed-single-speed/havent-shown-you-guys-my-dinglespeed-yet-271286.html

Obviously not a cheap build, but I reckon the concept is superb!

I wonder if one of Rapide's tensioner would do the job?

https://www.rapide.co.za/product/rapide-tension-r-single-speed-chain-tensioner/

And just to add more spice to the pot...maybe open a whole new discussion (or can of worms?)

Last night on my way home I thought, what about a SS, but with 2x chainrings up front. one for straights and downhill, and another for uphill. Simple.

Check this beauty: https://forums.roadbikereview.com/fixed-single-speed/havent-shown-you-guys-my-dinglespeed-yet-271286.html

Obviously not a cheap build, but I reckon the concept is superb!